British Speedway Forum
Main Man

New Track For Milton Keynes

"daveallan81"

"Tonight I can reveal to you that definite moves are afoot to bring speedway to Aberdeen next season with a number of open meetings. The persons responsible have already got a stadium which will be ideal for the sport and are currently trying to get planning permission."

Dave Thomson (Glasgow programme editorial 27th May 1983)

Sadly planning permission was not to be forthcoming and the Northern track lights of old Aberdeen remain darkened to this day.

25yearfan

Isn't Aberdeen about 200 miles North of Edinburgh/ Glasgow?

Would make such an exercise very unviable I suspect?

Only way it would be viable would be to fly there and hope that enough of the locals would be interested in becoming regulars.

Wonder of the proposed stadium for the speedway in Aberdeen is still standing!

At Mildenhall today and Ipswich last night there was a scattering of fans wearing the latest and very snazzy Milton Keynes coats, and jumpers!

Edited by 25yearfan

A town built for a huge population to live in a modern town but it never had any sports teams!

Till now, the football is creating its own history as MK Dons, and the council are keen to have sports in the town as its never happened before!

Yes your right, the Exeter promotion led by Colin Hill took over the running of Milton Keynes speedway in the latter days.

I believe Milton Keynes had to be sacrificed in order to keep Exeter going and the Exeter no1 Tony Olson was released to 1st Division Ipswich in another cost cutting exercise.

Lets hope if a new track is built in Milton Keynes it is more successful and sustainable than the previous incarnation!

To be clear - I have no knowledge whatsoever of this initiative, I am not involved with this promotion, nor have I been with any other aspect of speedway these last 20 years. My sole relationship with the sport is to watch it on TV (sometimes). This is all shooting in the dark.

That said, the press release at the top of the thread came to my attention from an entirely random source the other day and I found it intriguing, since I live in MK and was involved with the Terry Cheney promotion back in 89-91, writing the programme and being banned by somebody for something, allegedly. In fact, I found the news intriguing enough to revive a log-in I had forgotten existed to make this, my first, post.

The assertion that the potential promotion had sufficient credibility to get a hearing with the authorities immediately, and was ready to go "in 2015" was particularly striking, since there is no-one (and nowhere) in the city capable of meeting that description, to my knowledge. Who, then? Where? How?

In the circumstances, another press release which came to my attention was also (arguably even more) intriguing. I read it through a couple of times and added two and two to make...who knows? Might be four, might be the square root of nada.

Here's the link - read it yourself and see what your two and two make.

(Spoiler / spoiler / spoiler / spoiler for people who can't stand the suspense - it's about how Towcester race-course is building a new greyhound track, which will be opening in December. Travel six miles down the A5 from Towcester race-course and you will read a sign that says "Welcome to Milton Keynes".)

http://www.sis.tv/sis-blog/it%E2%80%99s-all-go-towcester-begins-work-greyhound-track

John Callaghan

• Like 1

To be clear - I have no knowledge whatsoever of this initiative, I am not involved with this promotion, nor have I been with any other aspect of speedway these last 20 years. My sole relationship with the sport is to watch it on TV (sometimes). This is all shooting in the dark.

That said, the press release at the top of the thread came to my attention from an entirely random source the other day and I found it intriguing, since I live in MK and was involved with the Terry Cheney promotion back in 89-91, writing the programme and being banned by somebody for something, allegedly. In fact, I found the news intriguing enough to revive a log-in I had forgotten existed to make this, my first, post.

John Callaghan

Totally off topic, but they were the best programme notes ever written...and I think you were right about Mike Lee

P.S. If anyone is interested in finding out what was so great about JC's articles keep an eye out on ebay for 'NL90' which contains many of his finest pieces.

Edited by arnieg

I can understand anyone aware of the Towcester greyhound project wondering if it could embrace speedway as well but in all the Racing Post coverage of the project over the past year there's never been any hint of any other sport also being involved and from a speedway perspective there would be a couple of particularly awkward problems.

Firstly, the racecourse is less than a mile south-east of Towcester town centre which already has a population of around 9,000 as a still-expanding commuter town that's handy for both Milton Keynes and Northampton so it won't be the easiest place in which to secure noise-permission for speedway bikes.

Secondly, if you already think it feels a bit remote watching speedway at somewhere like Monmore or Sheffield with a greyhound track separating you from the action then be prepared to feel very remote if speedway's ever tried at Towcester because (like Dundalk in Ireland) they're building the greyhound track inside the home straight of their horse racing track but still using the horse racing facilities for the crowd.

It'll be distant enough for greyhound fans in the stands at Towcester with separate chase and hurdles home-straights for the horses separating themselves from the dog racing ... how many of you would want to watch speedway separated from the action by 3 widths of other sports' tracks ? !!

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 1

I can understand anyone aware of the Towcester greyhound project wondering if it could embrace speedway as well but in all the Racing Post coverage of the project over the past year there's never been any hint of any other sport also being involved and from a speedway perspective there would be a couple of particularly awkward problems.

Firstly, the racecourse is only about a mile south-east of Towcester town centre which already has a population of around 9,000 as a still-expanding commuter town that's handy for both Milton Keynes and Northampton so it won't be the easiest place in which to secure noise-permission for speedway bikes.

Secondly, if you already think it feels a bit remote watching speedway at somewhere like Monmore or Sheffield with a greyhound track separating you from the action then be prepared to feel very remote if speedway's ever tried at Towcester because (like Dundalk in Ireland) they're building the greyhound track inside the home straight of their horse racing track but still using the hrose racing facilities for the crowd.

It'll be distant enough for greyhound fans in the stands at Towcester with separate chase and hurdles home-straights for the horses separating themselves from the dog racing ... how many of you would want to watch speedway separated from the action by 3 widths of other sports' tracks ? !!

As the Site has not been identified yet - perhaps it may be somewhere else.

Hopefully so reading your comments. :)

The assertion that the potential promotion had sufficient credibility to get a hearing with the authorities immediately, and was ready to go "in 2015" was particularly striking, since there is no-one (and nowhere) in the city capable of meeting that description, to my knowledge. Who, then? Where? How?

In the circumstances, another press release which came to my attention was also (arguably even more) intriguing. I read it through a couple of times and added two and two to make...who knows? Might be four, might be the square root of nada.

Here's the link - read it yourself and see what your two and two make.

(Spoiler / spoiler / spoiler / spoiler for people who can't stand the suspense - it's about how Towcester race-course is building a new greyhound track, which will be opening in December. Travel six miles down the A5 from Towcester race-course and you will read a sign that says "Welcome to Milton Keynes".)

http://www.sis.tv/sis-blog/it%E2%80%99s-all-go-towcester-begins-work-greyhound-track

John Callaghan

I cannot see it being there to be honest. Been zero mention of it throughout the greyhound track building and looking at this link, you can see you would be miles away from the action!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-21084618

Also, it is too far out from Milton Keynes.

Still, lets hope a track does miraculously appear within the next 4/5 months in time for next season? Although I have my doubts.

Edited by le sorcier

As the Site has not been identified yet - perhaps it may be somewhere else.

Hopefully so reading your comments. :)

If it is Towcester, we will ALL need to go to Specsavers!

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but relevant nonetheless;

Why is this new track opening? There are not enough riders as it is and we now have farcical scenarios like those witnessed recently.

Nothing against the people of MK, but from a rider allocation perspective the BSPA this is a non starter.

• Like 1

Why is this new track opening? There are not enough riders as it is and we now have farcical scenarios like those witnessed recently.

Nothing against the people of MK, but from a rider allocation perspective the BSPA this is a non starter.

We are led to believe that the BSPA are supporting this venture though.

'Chicken and egg' springs to mind. If the intention is to offer training/practice facilities and start in the NL, they could have the opportunity to grow their own riders, which would be 'healthy' and is really how all teams should operate, ideally. I realise some fans won't watch/support, so called, wobblers, but many wobblers become good riders!

Exactly Ray!

I bet when a new track opens the majority of its support comes from people who didn't previously go to speedway or who at least were lapsed supporters!

This season they are what 9 clubs in the NL plus Leicester in the Trophy.

Its more than likely that not all of this seasons NL teams willline up again next season so any potential new track should be encouraged!

There are plenty of riders out there. They just need encouraging.

• Like 2