British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Pie 'n' Mash & Prefabs

I understand there is a brilliant new book being published today. All about growing up in Hackney in the 1950s and 60s and contains a part about going to speedway in the 60s and how the author came to be named after a speedway rider...Looks good. :)

More info here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pie-Mash-Prefabs-1950s-Childhood/dp/1784181234/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425542499&sr=1-1&keywords=Norman+Jacobs

• Like 1

Amazingly, 70 years after the Second World War was over, we still have Prefabs in Sunderland. I believe these houses were built with a planned life of ten years. These homes are still standing and their Residents have them looking really smart and well preserved. They are super little houses.

I wonder if some of the Properties that are being built now will have a similar life span?

We shall see.

• Like 1

I understand there is a brilliant new book being published today. All about growing up in Hackney in the 1950s and 60s and contains a part about going to speedway in the 60s and how the author came to be named after a speedway rider...Looks good. :)

More info here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pie-Mash-Prefabs-1950s-Childhood/dp/1784181234/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425542499&sr=1-1&keywords=Norman+Jacobs

Not another book from Norman Jacobs-you would have thought he would have earned enough from quiz show winnings to retire :lol:

• Like 2

Writing books gives me something to do in my retirement. ;)

Edited by norbold

No prefabs left here in south london. Pie and mash though, is still alive and kicking. Harrington's pie shop in tooting will be my destination tomorrow afternoon!

• Like 1

No prefabs left here in south london. Pie and mash though, is still alive and kicking. Harrington's pie shop in tooting will be my destination tomorrow afternoon!

Wimbledon dogs was my destination on Tuesday evening.

Wimbledon dogs was my destination on Tuesday evening.

I ain't set foot in the place since the last speedway meeting in 2005.

I ain't set foot in the place since the last speedway meeting in 2005.

Always have a table in the restaurant on "sky" nights-food is excellent and a top evening of open races.

Always have a table in the restaurant on "sky" nights-food is excellent and a top evening of open races.

i worked in dog racing for 22 years at all of the big london tracks. I followed in my mums footsteps, she worked at Wimbledon, wandsworth and park royal in the 1960's.

I lived right next door to Clapton Greyhound Stadium. We certainly knew all about it on Thursday and Saturday evenings...

I never went to clapton, but it looked like an impressive stadium from the photos I have seen.

I never went to clapton, but it looked like an impressive stadium from the photos I have seen.

Clapton was never a speedway track. There was a Clapton team but based - as I recall - at Lea Bridge?

Clapton was never a speedway track. There was a Clapton team but based - as I recall - at Lea Bridge?

we were talking about clapton greyhound stadium in millfields road, not lea bridge speedway stadium, which was in lea bridge road.

Is Tubby Isaacs the Jellied Eel man still going strong down the Mile End Road?.