British Speedway Forum
mudflaps

Panthers V Berwick 29/5/2015 Premier League 7.30pm

Btw, the obvious thought is to bring back Roynon - but I've given up trying to work out how and if that's actually possible.... :-/

Not sure it is now, there was two parts to the plan, but scuppered when part 1 decided to join Plymouth instead I think.

Once again brilliant racing and MPT easily man of the match.

Once again Greenwood disappointing and should never have been in 14 when the match hadn't been won by then.

Once again a very long, drawn out meeting, with fans being seen leaving before the end.

There was 2 reasons the meeting took so long..the delay due to the position of the sun going into the 3rd bend (rider safety) and Rich Halls crash..there seems to be a bad crash in every meeting this season...I don't see what anyone is meant to do about that as track has been good....the crowd was disappointing tho...if my workplace is anything to go by maybe everyone is on holiday!...

If Peterborough get to the play offs and in the latter stages of the KO cup that's when you will see bigger crowds so it is imperative that we make the right team changes now to ensure that happens..

For instance in 2006 crowds were averaging 1000 a meeting then in the play off final 5-6000 people turned up.

Simple solution, and certainly not new. Buy A pair of Oakley goggles with either black iridium lenses or fire iridium lenses. The black lenses act like sunglasses and also cut out glare, the fire iridium lighten everything up for clear vision and wipe out glare. There is no excuse for the sunshine. Any rider that a supply with eyewear through sponsorship, I make sure they are aware of the problem and supply them with the correct lenses.

• Like 1

Simple solution, and certainly not new. Buy A pair of Oakley goggles with either black iridium lenses or fire iridium lenses. The black lenses act like sunglasses and also cut out glare, the fire iridium lighten everything up for clear vision and wipe out glare. There is no excuse for the sunshine. Any rider that a supply with eyewear through sponsorship, I make sure they are aware of the problem and supply them with the correct lenses.

How do you know so much about Oakley goggles?

Maybe it is time for everyone to use them, as it appears it is a solution?

• Like 1

How do you know so much about Oakley goggles?

Maybe it is time for everyone to use them, as it appears it is a solution?

Did you post that after the post in Berwick, or are just being a :icon_smile_clown: .

I don't know why teams are not aware and equiped with the right equipment to compete, it's a basic.

Just sppoken to Ryan Fisher, he is devastated by yet more engine problems last night. His engines wernt back to his tuner of choice after last weeks problems at Posh, ithey were caused by a bolt falling out of the rockers, last night what happened after the tuners efforts during the past week, a bolt or stud felll out of the rockers within seconds of firing up and was found ithis morning in the chain locker not broken, had just screwed itself out and fallen, nut still on it. How do you fight things like that? Just spoken to a friend he suggests a firm kick in the slats

I left before the end, which has to be said isn't the first time with Peterborough.......unfortunately.

The meeting started at 7.40pm (I don't know what time it actually finished, as I left after Heat 13, totally fed up with the usual delays, plus to be fair, the cold too), but it must have been after 10.00pm.

Assuming it finished at curfew time, that's a total of 2 hours 20 minutes. There was just over 15-minutes of racing, approximately 20-minutes of sun delay (unavoidable). Approximately 15-minute delay for the Richard Hall accident (unavoidable). Total time of approximately 45-minutes. That means we are paying to watch 1 hour 35 minutes of tractor grading, which seems to be done to excess at this particular venue, and general time wasting.

Emma Strowger posed the question in her column in the programme last night, "Why are attendance levels falling in the sport".............Answers given above in my particular case.

As for the meeting when it intermittently happened, the racing was excellent, as it nearly always is at the Showground, in fact it's hard to think of a track that currently provides better racing. Both sides gave it their all, and were a joy to watch, but as others have said, and I agree, to many other shenanigans spoil the evening out.

Year in year out, supporters complain about the length of time it takes to get through a meeting, yet they continue to get ignored, so is it little wonder they stop attending, and that is sad.

I've been saying similar things about Lynn for years.

Funnily enough on my last 4 visits to Peterborough I've never thought they were long drawn out affairs (and that includes Monday when Blackbird was injured).

Maybe the difference for me is what's provided between the racing.....reasonable music/ rider interviews/knowledgeable presenter giving info and shock horror fans being kept informed why there was a delay and the fact that intervals are taken when there is a delay and not added on regardless.

I eagerly anticipate each race at Boro cos the track provides it so it's worth waiting for whereas Saddlebow Road (as it will always remain :D )nowadays simply doesn't.

It's all in the perception and expectation I guess.

• Like 1

I've been saying similar things about Lynn for years.

Funnily enough on my last 4 visits to Peterborough I've never thought they were long drawn out affairs (and that includes Monday when Blackbird was injured).

Maybe the difference for me is what's provided between the racing.....reasonable music/ rider interviews/knowledgeable presenter giving info and shock horror fans being kept informed why there was a delay and the fact that intervals are taken when there is a delay and not added on regardless.

I eagerly anticipate each race at Boro cos the track provides it so it's worth waiting for whereas Saddlebow Road (as it will always remain :D )nowadays simply doesn't.

It's all in the perception and expectation I guess.

It certainly is!

I have to agree with StarLady. I've never ever felt that a meeting at Peterborough has been a long drawn out affair. First time I've ever known there to be a sun delay last night (the delay last night between heats 5/6). Yes, that went on for about 30mins, BUT at least that was then considered the only interval of the night instead of having another one after heat 9 or 10 or 12 later on (which is what Lynn seem to like doing these days! :blink:) Apparently way back when, according to my father and a mate of mine, riders used to wear tinted goggles and just got on with racing in the sun, as let's face it, all tracks have always been in the positions they've been in (unless a club has moved home) and the sun shining is not a new phenomenon, so what's changed? Yes, there was then another 15min delay or so later anyway due to Richard Hall's crash, but you know, I can live with delays after crashes as those things can and are more likely to happen now.

Beyond all that, my Peterborough mate was great company (as always!) and we normally have sensible and interesting discussions about the sports problems and what have you plus he throws a bit of banter in toward me which I don't really mind in the slightest. Yes, he went to Lynn on Thursday and I didn't and now he claims I really have dropped the Stars and become a fully fledged Panthers supporter instead :blush::rofl: I wouldn't go that far, but I now seem to enjoy my visits to Peterborough more than ever these days. Last night was no exception. Great racing. It's fun watching Michael Palm Toft completely miss the gate and then pass everyone and get first in the run to the line. His heats were the best of the night! I think I'm in love :rofl::wub:

I cannot get from Canary Wharf to EOES for 7.30pm on a Friday - Almost Mission impossible - M11/25 Junction and A14 are almost gridlocked that time on Friday evening :neutral:

Sorry :oops: I was forgetting that!

• Like 2

I am not sure if it applies to race situations but a little elf at the back of my brain has reminded me that tinted visors were made illegal a few years ago for road use

I can live with delays after crashes as those things can and are more likely to happen now.

Why?

Why?

Bikes are lighter/faster than they were years ago. The faster a bike is travelling, the more likely that you're going to hurt yourself if you fall off. That's my thinking.

Edited by em1500uk

Bikes are lighter/faster than they were years ago. The faster a bike is travelling, the more likely that you're going to hurt yourself if you fall off. That's my thinking.

And you would be correct em... :t:

• Like 1

Lukas I can't remember back in 2006 ever being at a meeting where there was a crowd of 5 to 6000 people think that's a bit of an exaggeration!!

Lukas I can't remember back in 2006 ever being at a meeting where there was a crowd of 5 to 6000 people think that's a bit of an exaggeration!!

No exaggeration, easily that amount at play off final.
  • Like 2