British Speedway Forum
heathen chemistry

Scrap The Controversial Heat 10 Rule!

Calling a result at heat 10 with no refund is a disgrace.... Esp when it works the other way if abandoned at heat 5 you pay for watching them 5 heats.... Yeeeeha.

I dont believe you get a refund if u go to the cricket and there is a result under the DL system.

And i think you can get a result with only 40% of the match completed?

Sports with a propensity for being affected by weather need to have such rules in place

The issue in speedway isn't the rule its the way it is enforced.

• Like 3

In this instance, to my mind, Havelock was quite right. Just imagine that there had been all four Riders in that Final Race. The way Holder skidded across the Track would probably have taken out both Coventry Riders and his Team mate as well. As it was he apologised to his Team mate.

[/i][/u].

To be fair I think Holder would have ridden a completely different race had all 4 been at tapes.

It struck me that it was just show boating with no opposition trying to make it look easy and he got it wrong!

• Like 1

I dont believe you get a refund if u go to the cricket and there is a result under the DL system.

And i think you can get a result with only 40% of the match completed?

In Twenty20 you can have a result with 5 overs per side, so 25% of the match completed. However, that still represents 40 or so minutes of action, which is four times as much as calling a speedway match after 10 heats.

To be fair I think Holder would have ridden a completely different race had all 4 been at tapes.

It struck me that it was just show boating with no opposition trying to make it look easy and he got it wrong!

I suppose the view you take depends on whether you are Poole Supporter or not. :sad: :sad: :sad:

I suppose the view you take depends on whether you are Poole Supporter or not. :sad: :sad: :sad:

But surely if that were the case every debate involving Poole would just amount to a lot of pointless bickering and blinkered posts driven by blind loyalty or irrational hatred! ............. oh hang on .... :-)

But surely if that were the case every debate involving Poole would just amount to a lot of pointless bickering and blinkered posts driven by blind loyalty or irrational hatred! ............. oh hang on .... :-)

What I was saying was that Holder would have ridden the line he took anyway, it the way he rides, it's what makes him exciting to watch.

As for being ante Poole as you imply - I am not, never have been. But lately things that happen, for example Poole at Belle Vue in the rain a year ago and Coventry versus Poole on Monday night in the rain, it does make you wonder don't you think?

I have no axe to grind - I support Belle Vue in the Elite League and Newcastle 'Diamonds' in the Premier. I am not really interested in Poole - but - they certainly seem to get the rub of the green every time.

That, my friend, is the view of a total outsider.

What I was saying was that Holder would have ridden the line he took anyway,twit the way he rides, it's what makes him exciting to watch.

As for being ante Poole as you imply - I am not, never have been. But lately things that happen, for example Poole at Belle Vue in the rain a year ago and Coventry versus Poole on Monday night in the rain, it does make you wonder don't you think?

I have no axe to grind - I support Belle Vue in the Elite League and Newcastle 'Diamonds' in the Premier. I am not really interested in Poole - but - they certainly seem to get the rub of the green every time.

That, my friend, is the view of a total outsider.

I think you took my post the wrong way TWK as I was in no way implying that you were anti Poole. I have always found your posts reasoned and unbiased . You said that the the view of the incident depended if you were a Poole supporter or not (which incidentally im not)

I made my views on the Belle Vue incident clear at the time and as many others have said already if Coventry had been winning by a margin on Monday they would have been prepared to go out in heat 10 and I'm sure Middlo would have done the same as Havvy except he would have been slaughtered to a bigger degree on this forum!

I was pointing out that it's a shame that any thread involving Poole cannot be discussed rationally on here without the usual suspects bickering.

I myself like to think I can view incidents and make my own judgement, right or wrong without prejudice.

• Like 1

I finally caught up with the match this morning & this nonsense does speedway no good at all

The glaring issues for me were that Havelock was promised a track inspection & then it didnt happen..... what reason could there possibly be for that which is upstanding, impartial & within the spirit of the sport for the riders, clubs & fans? It seemed to me that there was a big difference in the state of the track between heats 8 & 9 & that it most certainly needed a track inspection...... what I think I saw from that point was a desperate need to reach heat 10 and then cancel the rest of the match. There certainly was no question of if there would be any more races once ht10 was over... why was that??

Reaching Heat 10 is not just about league tables and averages, it is also about the hard cash that fans are paying. So for teams and officials to be approaching the final two heats with one aim no matter how bad the conditions are is an insult to the fans who will only vote with their feet in the future

Mickey Mouse

• Like 1

I think you took my post the wrong way TWK as I was in no way implying that you were anti Poole. I have always found your posts reasoned and unbiased . You said that the the view of the incident depended if you were a Poole supporter or not (which incidentally im not)

I made my views on the Belle Vue incident clear at the time and as many others have said already if Coventry had been winning by a margin on Monday they would have been prepared to go out in heat 10 and I'm sure Middlo would have done the same as Havvy except he would have been slaughtered to a bigger degree on this forum!

I was pointing out that it's a shame that any thread involving Poole cannot be discussed rationally on here without the usual suspects bickering.

I myself like to think I can view incidents and make my own judgement, right or wrong without prejudice.

I take your point AFCB Wilcat. My apologies if my comments seemed a bit cynical.

I, in no way wished to offend you.

• Like 1

Of course he would, there was no pressure on Poole at that point to score anything more, they would have trundled in behind.

When the track was deteriorating big time Coventry were under pressure to score which probs lead to mistakes.

Without a doubt there should have been a track inspection and the meeting called off before 10.

• Like 1

So do you propose going back to the old 6 heats rule that we had in the good old days? We had the same problems then but it wasn't down to Sky.

In the good old days 6 heats were regularly forced through and then everyone sent home with no refund.

I don't think the rule itself is the problem, it's the way it's applied. Last night should have been called off around heat 8.

I remember many meetings being forced to run to heat 6 in the old days so we didn't get our money back but did the result stand after 6 heats? I can't remember!

I certainly don't remember any controversies between teams as to whether to carry on or not but then we didn't have Sky or social media then.

• Like 1

In Twenty20 you can have a result with 5 overs per side, so 25% of the match completed. However, that still represents 40 or so minutes of action, which is four times as much as calling a speedway match after 10 heats.

Where on earth do you get this from?

Clearly you're only counting the time of the actual race for the speedway... but on the cricket you're counting the whole thing. Hardly a fair comparison.

The actual 'time in play' for cricket for a 5 over a side game would be far far less than 10 heats of speedway.

Didn't it used to be heat 6 for no fan refunds and heat 12 to call the meeting if necessary.

Now if a meeting is called off before heat 10 is complete then a reduced admission price is applicable at a future meeting - details on display at the turnstiles!! (At least that is what it states in the Poole programme, so I assume its the same at other EL clubs?)

This is one of those areas where those that wax lyrical about the halcyon days come unstuck.

The old small print of admission terms and conditions said

'should it be necessary through any cause to abandon the meeting prior to the start of the sixth race, readmission tickets issued will be valid for for any one of the next three meetings'

So you got nowt back even if you only saw FIVE horrendous rain affected processions completed.

Truth is.

On this score, if nothing else

We've never had it so good !

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 2