British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alex2000

The Laurels?

I agree that the referee was excessively lenient on time wasters last night.

First bend bunching ?

It depends on your interpretation. Does a circuit have two bends or four ?

To my mind the track has two bends and four turns so an incident just exiting the first bend i.e turn two can be interpreted as "first bend bunching" by the referee.

In last night's final Greenwood was lucky not to be excluded for forcing Lambert into the fence coming out of the first bend (or turn two !).

There no such thing as first bend bunching. It's an unsatisfactory start. To me, once you have got to the first bend you are past the start. Referees need to make a decision. They rarely do on bend 1 and some even bottle it on bend 2.

First bend bunching and unsatisfactory starts do exist in reality.

They do not apparently appear named as such in the Speedway Regulations.

The final decision is of course down to the referee. If he stops the race, usually as a result of an incident on the first bend, then he can either exclude a rider deemed to be "at fault" (cause of stoppage) or order the race to be re run. In the event of a re run with all four riders the usual explanation given via the track announcer is that it was an unsatisfactory start.

Because there had been no pre-meeting publicity for The Laurels on this BSF section - as usually happens in regard to 'forthcoming attractions'. I would have thought that would have been fairly obvious? Obviously not!

And I also have an interest in the event called The Laurels having seen many meetings in that competition in the days when top-line riders competed and it was based at Wimbledon.

I wonder how many who visit Kent Kings also visit Lakeside Hammers - in which case where do most of Kings' supporters come from? I thought that Kings "enjoyed local support"which if so there should be no clash of interest as I see it!

well you see it wrong, there is a large group of fans, myself included that go to both. Some of the track staff also work at both venues.
  • Like 1

Records of a once great individual speedway classic:

http://edinburghspee...-wimbledon.html

I saw them all from 1964-1985. Just look at the winners from that era. We don't see speedway of that calibre in England too often nowadays.

Vic Meldrew over all i would agree with you 3-2 to Greenwood so far ..My award however was just on the LAURELS night which was 2-1 to Ayers... The looney bin awaits the overall winner time will tell.....??

Just out of interest,what is the percentage of meetings since Kent opened, that have not been completed due to the curfew?

Edited by iris123

Don't know for certain but definitely a bigger percentage than decisions that have gone Ben Morley's way this year!

• Like 2

One or two kamakarzy pilots on show tonight of course another useless ref was inconsistent in judging the wipe outs,,but he got the last one in the final right when Simon Lambert was wiped out when leading, by Dan Greenwood who had been on the recieving end earlier in the meeting himself,,Danny Ayers being excluded in that one,, and the race had to be awarded, ,the curfew had expired any way,,Lambert being named the winner and well deserved to. Little to say about the rest ,The Nicky Pedersen award going to Danny Ayers who somehow managed to finish runner up and Cris Widman was 3rd ... Withdrawalls during the meeting were James Shanes after a nasty looking 1st bend bunching incident and Bradley Wilson Deans who had machinary problems Basby looked quick tonight and Ben Morleys run of diabolical ref decisions lately continued tonight ..Crowd simular to last week..Note there is NO MEETING AT CENTRAL PARK NEXT MONDAY !!!

Oh dear...

Now put your handbag down and see it for what it is !!!!

well you see it wrong, there is a large group of fans, myself included that go to both. Some of the track staff also work at both venues.

What do you call a large group then? I would be very surprised if 20 or so people would go to watch at arena essex rather then kent! You only had to hear the crowds jeers when they announced it Monday night! Worst of all its the first Monday night of the school summer holidays and a great opportunity to snag new fans and we aren't running. Stupid decision!

What are people giving the ref hard time for this week, the only things I disagreed with was Morley being allowed to go off 15 after destroying the tapes. ( should be straight exclusion in individual meetings imo) And Dan Greenwood taking Simon Lambert all the way to the fence on turn 2 and getting a4b.

Was a sad way to end the meeting hopefully #lammy will be back racing soon. Shane's crash was probably the scariest I ve seen for many years, so relieved to see him get up having been struck in the head with a motorbike!!!! Great to see Widman have such a great evening, he us one of my favorite visiting riders and clearly enjoys himself.

• Like 1

What do you call a large group then? I would be very surprised if 20 or so people would go to watch at arena essex rather then kent! You only had to hear the crowds jeers when they announced it Monday night! Worst of all its the first Monday night of the school summer holidays and a great opportunity to snag new fans and we aren't running. Stupid decision!

That's an interesting comment indeed. In other words, very few people support both teams?

That's an interesting comment indeed. In other words, very few people support both teams?

In Teaboy279's opinion Mr Hyam, but not necessarily a cast iron fact.

• Like 1

I attend Kent and Lakeside

Don't have a preference for either, I am central to both despite living in Kent, lakeside is actually a bit closer

But if I was choosing Kent for £12 or Lakeside for a fiver, I would choose Lakeside.

There is obviously more than a few, else Kent wouldn't have cancelled

In my opinion,the main difference (the standard of racing apart), is the way one club tries to look after its supporters and one club does the opposite and takes it fans for granted

For me, speedway differs from any other sport, You wouldn't get many football fans watching say Spurs and Arsenal, but speedway fans just want to watch speedway and will travel to see it, I know people who go to Lakeside, Kent and Rye House

• Like 1

Teaboy the 15m rule was agreed before the start of the meeting by everbody and if that only thing you think the ref got wrong well that your right.

For me I think Kent are doing the right thing on this occasion despite the inconvenience for some (me included.)

However Lakeside is under threat. The £5 entry is aimed at getting as many through the gate as possible and showing everyone what levels of support and how much they deserve to have all the help they can get in finding a new home.

From a personal perspective I would rather see a month of home meetings cancelled than lose another track / club forever!

• Like 1