British Speedway Forum
Toad

Rye House 1980 Team

I think the unexpected retirement of Karl Fiala really set the seal on the unfortunate 1981 season as it was nailed on that Garrad and Smith would be going BL and Len had Mullarkey and Fiala inked in as a very acceptable top two. The injury to Andy Fines didn't help - it may have been so different for him - but Fiala was never adequately replaced.

Shads; unfortunately you missed seeing Bob Garrad in his prime, a superb small track rider who could and should have gone much further.

And don't mention Mel Taylor! Always a thorn in our side when riding against us and crap when riding for us!

Shads; unfortunately you missed seeing Bob Garrad in his prime, a superb small track rider who could and should have gone much further.

And don't mention Mel Taylor! Always a thorn in our side when riding against us and crap when riding for us!

Sadly I only caught his last season with us in 1985, when he partnered Andrew Silver at number 2. Went to his testimonial and saw the great Hans Nielsen for the one and only time. Hmmm.. Come to think of it I think it may have been 1986, maybe it was Kelvin Mullarkeys testimonial in '85 and Garrads last season was '86. My programmes are stored away somewhere!!

The Mel Taylor story is a strange one. Expected so much, but delivered so little. I don't think breaking his arm helped. Am I right in saying he came to Rye when Barry Klatt became joint promoter with big Ron?

Edited by Shads

Remember all the rockets mentioned from being a Panthers fan the season starting easter triangle between Rye House, Mildenhall and Peterborough.

Always thought ponsey gits in there team leathers especially the fen tigers with there tassles,but got to say it was the start of a trend that lasts still today for many teams.

Had the pleasure of watching and cheering on Ashley Pullen riding for the Panthers remember him constantly holding the Panthers together.

Saw Kelvin Mullarkey on anglia tv the other week at Mildenhall he was a character such a hard nut who loved nothing more than winding up the opposition fans good memories of great speedway years that wont be forgotten.

Sadly I only caught his last season with us in 1985, when he partnered Andrew Silver at number 2. Went to his testimonial and saw the great Hans Nielsen for the one and only time. Hmmm.. Come to think of it I think it may have been 1986, maybe it was Kelvin Mullarkeys testimonial in '85 and Garrads last season was '86. My programmes are stored away somewhere!!

The Mel Taylor story is a strange one. Expected so much, but delivered so little. I don't think breaking his arm helped. Am I right in saying he came to Rye when Barry Klatt became joint promoter with big Ron?

Yes Taylor came to Rye House with Barry Klatt, along with Glen Baxter and his brother, links that eventually gave us Trevor O'Brien. There had been a huge row at Mildenhall - a case of too many promoters and Barry moved his stake to Hoddesdon.

Taylor wasn't the easiest of people to deal with. It was pretty clear he didn't want to be at Rye House.

Gleen Baxter went from a West Row second string into a Hoddesdon heatleader, he developed into a cracking little rider. His brother Wayne had his moments but he was only really reserve standard and Trevor needs no introduction, he is right up there with the greats when it comes to Rye House.

One Aussie around at that time was Jamie Fagg and he looked like he might go places but had a couple of nasty injuries.

Bob Garrad's testimonial was in '86 but he had wound down by then which was hard to watch on occasions. He had one rollback prrformance with a 12 point max though.

What an opening pair Bobby G and Marvyn Cox made back in '83 with their blak and white chequered leathers! Robbo and Eddie Kennett in 2005 is the best since!

Use to love watching Bobby Garrad as a Rye House Rider, when he came to Lynn he didnt quite cut the mustard. The same could really have been said about Mel Taylor, it was hoped he was going to be the next big thing following on from Michael lee, but never really got beyond decent 2nd string level. Shame as mel had a lovely style about him.

Just done a bit of research on a few of the guys mentioned in this thread, it seems odd that Karl Fiala retired so soon but equally Bobby Garrad seemed to make it too a very good level very young but then seemed to drop back alarmingly while still young and he too seems to have retired in mid-late 20s too. What was it about Rye House at that time that seemed to make young, one time promising riders retire so young?! :o

How old were Kelvin Mularkey, Hughie Saunders and Ted Hubbard when they retired ? :wink:

The set-up behind the scenes at Rye House could be 'difficult' back then and wasn't the same as when Colin Pratt built the eventual championship side. I think modern fans will recognise how matters can sour there very quickly.

Colin's arrival turned a team of ageing riders into a hotbed of young talent and while the side he built went on to win the title the year after he left it was never the same again, as anyone who witnessed the appalling 1981 season and the years of rapid decline that Ron Russell was left to try to sort out.

I think you'll find that Karl felt that he'd achieved what he set out to do - win the title, and that was enough for him. He's an intelligent guy, was settling into family life and decided enough was enough. I could be wrong of course. Karl's now extremely active on Facebook so perhaps someone could ask him?

It was a mystery to me how Bob didn't go further in the sport.

As semion says above, there were plenty of Rockets who rode into maturity so I don't think there was 'something about Rye House'.

It wasn't Rayleigh though..........

Karl Fiala retired because he was worried about losing his off-track employment.

Bob Garrad was a regular double figure scorer for Hackney in the early season league cup matches in 81, but got injured, lost his confidence and dropped back down to Rye House. He never really fulfilled his potential.

I always remember a comical on-track fight between Kelvin Mullarkey and Kevin Smith, looking like a couple of robots while punching each other with their helmets on!

How old were Kelvin Mularkey, Hughie Saunders and Ted Hubbard when they retired ? :wink:

I remember Kelvin coming out of retirement to help out an injury ravaged Rockets side in the late 80's when he would've been in his late 30's... Hughie Saunders must've been mid 30's when he called it a day Edited by Shads

I'll always remember Kelvin (I'm sure it was him!) shinning up the lamp standard at Cleveland Park during a match against Middlesbrough to remove the bulb from the White exclusion light and throwing it at the referee's box. H&S would throw the book at him now!

It says on Kelvin Mullarkey`s Wilipedia page that he didn't miss a single meeting for Rye House for nine seasons, is this true, if it is that is one helluva record.

If anyone deserved a testimonial it was Kelvin Mullarkey. Makes me laugh when I see riders like Kasprazak earning a lucrative pay day

• Like 2