British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Speedway Star Item

Read it again "the standard of play at the darts contributes to the atmosphere and the attendance" "the quality of racing at speedway contributes to no atmosphere and a poor attendance..You can put a rent a crowd at the speedway if you want,as you seem to be advocating but what happens if they don,t like what they see,they won't return.Years ago we had much better crowds but many of these died in the wool fans have voted with their feet and left.What makes you think new fans are going to be captivated if the current fans are turned off.

Sadly NS - you could have stopped there. :sad: :sad: :sad:

It really does help when you have some consistency in your posts, or perhaps take the time to read threads before wading in.

PNYC was advocating a bigger league... fine no problem, that's his opinion.

However he was stating it would be a higher quality with less of a gap between riders in races.. THIS is what was explained to him was not going to happen..

You then wade in stating he was completely correct..

Yet know here we are barely a page later and you admit the league would be weaker.. thus agreeing with those (SCB in this case) who you were accusing of bullying.

ok if i am mistaken mea culpa - to be clear i am advocating weaker

perhaps i didnt read his post clearly

by the way i dont remember accusing anyone of bullying

I'll check my postings to see

and i'm not 'wading in' i'm contributing as positively as i can

I would like one big league at PL standard or aprox - thats my bit - end of

people think it won't work others think it may

its all academic anyway because no one in the sport has the vision and/or cojones to do anything but struggle on blindly

EDIT: I did misread his post - he is not advocating a weaker PL - however I am

hope that clears things up

BTW I'm still awaiting positive realistic suggestions to consider

Edited by ch958

ok if i am mistaken mea culpa - to be clear i am advocating weaker

perhaps i didnt read his post clearly

by the way i dont remember accusing anyone of bullying

I'll check my postings to see

and i'm not 'wading in' i'm contributing as positively as i can

I would like one big league at PL standard or aprox - thats my bit - end of

people think it won't work others think it may

its all academic anyway because no one in the sport has the vision and/or cojones to do anything but struggle on blindly

EDIT: I did misread his post - he is not advocating a weaker PL - however I am

hope that clears things up

BTW I'm still awaiting positive realistic suggestions to consider

I fear you may wait some considerable time ch958. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Has speedway journalism really got anything to do with the state the sport is in.!!!

It's by no means the major factor, but sports journalism should be asking the questions about whether the sport is well run, and in cases advocate the answers. It was after all, journalism that blew open the FIFA scandal, which the average member of the sports watching public would otherwise have been completely unaware of.

Alright, speedway isn't anywhere in the league of football, and the Spar despite its common origins, is no World Soccer. However, there plenty of issues beyond four blokes racing in circles to discuss.

It's by no means the major factor, but sports journalism should be asking the questions about whether the sport is well run, and in cases advocate the answers. It was after all, journalism that blew open the FIFA scandal, which the average member of the sports watching public would otherwise have been completely unaware of.

Alright, speedway isn't anywhere in the league of football, and the Spar despite its common origins, is no World Soccer. However, there plenty of issues beyond four blokes racing in circles to discuss.

I actually agree with this.

There is definitely a place, for investigative Journalism in Speedway - or there ought to be.

I actually agree with this.

There is definitely a place, for investigative Journalism in Speedway - or there ought to be.

Is there that much to investigate? It would probably unveil the Promotions are paying out more money than they gathering in.One thing for sure you won't get any running costs or riders pay deals from any Promotion just the fact that they are losing money!

What about creating a real Elite League with the real top boys and all racing on one night? A final throw of the dice if you like as if this doesn't work, there obviously is not enough support to sustain this standard of speedway in the UK.

The last two televised Swedish Elite League matches on Eurosport have produced some of the best races I have seen in a long time, far far better than anything on Sky. The teams are bursting with real top class riders and the tracks are superb, with numerous tractors returning the track to heat one standard regularly through the meeting. The stadiums are packed too, no deserted third and fourth bends so common in the UK.

If we build it, they will come.

What about creating a real Elite League with the real top boys and all racing on one night? A final throw of the dice if you like as if this doesn't work, there obviously is not enough support to sustain this standard of speedway in the UK.

The last two televised Swedish Elite League matches on Eurosport have produced some of the best races I have seen in a long time, far far better than anything on Sky. The teams are bursting with real top class riders and the tracks are superb, with numerous tractors returning the track to heat one standard regularly through the meeting. The stadiums are packed too, no deserted third and fourth bends so common in the UK.

its a good theory but no one would take such a financial risk

I agree Swedish league racing is the best at the moment

SCB has offered an opinion - nothing more. My opinion differs but i haven't got the energy to slog it out with blinkered people - I'm just stating reality as i see it. We can't afford to go on as we are. There are answers - use juniors, smaller teames, etc but i can't be arsed arguing

His view as you say is just his OPINION, nothing more than that, sometimes some on this forum forget that CH you have real good points and i can't really argue with it.

His view as you say is just his OPINION, nothing more than that, sometimes some on this forum forget that CH you have real good points and i can't really argue with it.

The post in question was SCB explaining how many riders race in both leagues. Nothing to do with opinion.

Is there that much to investigate? It would probably unveil the Promotions are paying out more money than they gathering in.One thing for sure you won't get any running costs or riders pay deals from any Promotion just the fact that they are losing money!

Actually laying that out on the table would I think give some sense of realism, and the more sensible fans would realise how unsustainable speedway currently is, let alone with 'all the top riders'. Of course most promoters or riders aren't willing going to give any financial information - that's why you investigate these things. It's not particularly difficult to find out, or make reasonable guesstimates.

Beyond that you could ask about the monies made from the SGP, and the portion that goes to the FIM. How is this spent, and what amount comes back to speedway directly or indirectly? What are the reasons why the sport struggles to attract major sponsors, could the BSPA get a better television deal with a different agent, and so on and so forth...

I think these are perfectly questions for anyone to ask, but if you wanted to get really investigative, you could ask why a certain rights company went bust, whilst another incarnation continues to trade.

• Like 1

Scott Nicholls is 2nd heat leader in British Speedway but reserve in Sweden.That means you have to pay 5 guys more than Scott Nicholls is earning to approach parity with Sweden.Some serious sponsors required,£25 pound at the turnstiles or financial suicide you decide !

• Like 1

The conspiracy is outrageous.

The revelations about Ted Heath will be wiped from the front pages.

Whether or not the relationships were hands-off or otherwise, it's surely fairly obvious that a publication is unlikely to be very critical of those bankrolling it.

For what it's worth, I think the Spar did generally improve as a publication in the Pinegen era, but it also became bland and uncritical at a key time when it could have had more influence than it does now. It's also unfortunate that the Speedway Mail disappeared around the same time, as whilst it production qualities were far lower, it didn't shy away from making critical comment (probably to its ultimate detriment).

Any amalgamation of the leagues would have to offer benefits to both the current Elite League and Premier League promoters.

Clubs like Scunthorpe, Berwick and Workington struggle financially in the current Premier League. How are they supposed to afford a competitive team in an even stronger league with higher costs?

I am a strong proponent of one big league, but it has to be pitched at current Premier League levels, which means getting rid of any rider with an Elite League heatleader average over 6.50.

Let's all go! To 1965

It worked very, very well then

Let's do it all again

I see no other way

Actually laying that out on the table would I think give some sense of realism, and the more sensible fans would realise how unsustainable speedway currently is, let alone with 'all the top riders'. Of course most promoters or riders aren't willing going to give any financial information - that's why you investigate these things. It's not particularly difficult to find out, or make reasonable guesstimates.

Beyond that you could ask about the monies made from the SGP, and the portion that goes to the FIM. How is this spent, and what amount comes back to speedway directly or indirectly? What are the reasons why the sport struggles to attract major sponsors, could the BSPA get a better television deal with a different agent, and so on and so forth...

I think these are perfectly questions for anyone to ask, but if you wanted to get really investigative, you could ask why a certain rights company went bust, whilst another incarnation continues to trade.

I think that's why most fans think the sport should be run by an Independant Body,but can't see t hat happening any time soon.Your point regarding Hobbyist promoters coming in and throwing money at the sport raising the costs is a good point IMO .