British Speedway Forum
Jacques

Coventry 2016

The only pensioners who are any way well off are those who inherited property from their parents( if it was not used for care etc), Apart of course from those born with the proverbial silver spoon in their mouths.

• Like 1

I served an apprentership in the early sixtys my weekly wage was £3.oo a week all you work on is figures and percentages

3 quid a week or 3000 quid a week, it's all relative to what u can buy with it.

Scb mentions house prices 7 times average annual salary, in Auckland where I live it is 11 times! Try saving even a 10% deposit for that if you are under 30 (I'm 38 and was lucky enough to get into the market when the ratio was about 7, though could never have done it at that time if me and my partner weren't both working full time).

It's never been easy to buy your first home. But it was clearly much easier in years gone by.

Noone is claiming all pensioners live in luxury, simply that on average they will have more disposable income than an average under 25.

• Like 5

Have you read the report? £788 is the poverty line. Most under 25s would love to have £788 after paying for their housing!

Just what do pensioners need to spend their £788 a month on? They should have paid for their homes, they don't have to pay for a TV licence if they're over 75, they get a winter heating allowance, they don't need to run a car and they get free bus travel. £788 is a lot of food, extra heating and speedway!

Meanwhile a 20yo on minimum wage working 40 hours a week £888 a month and they have to pay to get to work and at 20 won't have yet paid of a mortgage so if they're lucky will "only" have to pay £400 a month from that £888 in rent. Leaving the 20yo with £488 a month.

Nobody is saying pensioners have it great, whats being said is that young people have it a LOT worse so why should OAPs get a discount while young people don't? If you think OAPs should get a discount where do you stand on under 25s getting a discount?

Frankly, nobody should be getting a discount because they can't afford it. It's the governments job to pay people if they can't afford to live. Discounts should be about attracting your target audience.

What a very sad and bitter person you are. Thought we were discussing Speedway here, not left-wing "world owes me a living" politics.

• Like 1

"what do pensioners need to spend there £788 on"? what the hell is that statement got to do with him?? would you like being questioned on your finances? ...assuming pensioners bought there homes easily? was it all a piece of cake? then he "assumes" they don't need to run a car!...unbelievable generalisations!

"what do pensioners need to spend there £788 on"? what the hell is that statement got to do with him?? would you like being questioned on your finances? ...assuming pensioners bought there homes easily? was it all a piece of cake? then he "assumes" they don't need to run a car!...unbelievable generalisations!

The statement is in the context of them having more disposable income than under 25s.

Point out where he said that pensioners bought there houses easily - all he's said is that it was easier then than now, and that is a fact.

Soem may need to run a car - but generally you only need to run a car to get to work. Otherwise you are using it for recreational purposes and its a "luxury". Obviously some, those perhaps with medical problens or licing in remote areas without public transport, may have a need for a vehicle, but it's fair to say that the bulk don't "need"one, especiallyl given that they get free public transport.

It's not a dig at pensioners on his part, simply pointing out that they have (on average) more disposable income than under 25s, and therefore they shouldn't be any more entitled to discounts than under 25s.

Well those OAPs that are constantly moaning about having to pay the same as the rest of us (who have had pay freezes or those who have been made redundant) will save a lot of money after this year when there is no stadium to visit!

If a pensioner went to Asda or Tesco to buy a product, would they expect the same thing for less just because of their age? If you love the sport you prioritise, like those of us on low wages.

That said, I imagine it's just a selected few moaning about it as there still seem to be a good amount of older fans in the stands.

Edited by mdmc82

Think we all agree pensioners should get free public transport, prescriptions and help with energy costs as the older you get you rely or need those as you're more prone to illness etc. I don't see why they should get to watch entertainment cheaper, they don't get cheaper food, drink, sky, bingo etc. Even more so that they now have more disposable income (average) than ever and that will continue to rise over the next ten plus years.

• Like 4

I am with SCB on this debate I must admit. I am not a pensioner yet - quite!

I served an apprentership in the early sixtys my weekly wage was £3.oo a week all you work on is figures and percentages

I too served an apprenticeship in 1972 and I think my earnings were £7 a week in the first year. My first house cost £12950 and I wanted to buy one in the next town which was £500 more and the bank would not loan me the extra amount for the mortgage. I have only only owned 2 houses and paid off the mortgage about 8 years ago so I am reasonably comfortably off.I also also started investing in a pension when I was in my 20's when most of my mates waited till they were in their 30's and even 40's. Moving houses too many times is one of the reasons pensioners still have mortgage debts and therefore have less disposable income IMHO. Therefore it is there lifestyle to a large degree that causes the problem.

The only pensioners who are any way well off are those who inherited property from their parents( if it was not used for care etc), Apart of course from those born with the proverbial silver spoon in their mouths.

My parents were reasonably well off in retirement and my dad worked in a factory after leaving the RAF and my mum was a housewife so that is a bit of a sweeping statement. They never inherited property or born with the 'silver spoon'. My dad was very tight though and saved all through his working life then did a part-time job when he retired so as I said above, it is more lifestyle that dictates how well off you will be in retirement.

• Like 1

If we seriously want to win anything this season, we should make a change now that the averages alter as from Mon 16 May - go for Greg Zengota 7.79 in place of Jason Garrity 5.08 - should fit in ok ?

Bees should have coerced Garrity into riding as reserve this year given that he would probably have had half the season in the team proper anyway as a result of the farcical EDR Rules !

With the lad in the team proper we are left short at both second string and reserve level this year and at least he has Sheffield to fall back on .... Zengi would give us a really strong top three with decent back up from King and Woryna - maybe keep Garrity as our squad D/U rider alongside King instead of Barker?

Thoughts anyone ?

Cheers

I don't think he's interested in winning anything. Certainly not from the lack of action.

Pensioner discounts are not necessarily for charitable or altruistic reasons. Many businesses, theme parks, insurance, restaurants, cinemas, diy, offer discounts, sometimes restricted to less busy times and days. Why? Because it can be a sound commercial business decision. They realise that many pensioners do have disposable income and that others have relatively little and consider carefully where to spend what they have. These businesses offer discounts to try to entice them to spend it on their goods, services etc. Speedway clubs are fighting for a share of the same market and virtually all offer a concession. Coventry have decided not to do so, I assume because they think they will gain more from pensioners prepared to pay the full price than they lose from those who will stop going. If they are right others will probably follow.

Unlike social benefits, winter fuel, free travel etc.,for most businesses it is purely a commercial decision to maximise profits. That's why all sorts of groups, trade unions, motoring organisations, local government officers etc.,can and do get all sorts of discounts but pensioners are the largest group and have the most leisure time so attract more offers.

• Like 6

Pensioner discounts are not necessarily for charitable or altruistic reasons. Many businesses, theme parks, insurance, restaurants, cinemas, diy, offer discounts, sometimes restricted to less busy times and days. Why? Because it can be a sound commercial business decision. They realise that many pensioners do have disposable income and that others have relatively little and consider carefully where to spend what they have. These businesses offer discounts to try to entice them to spend it on their goods, services etc. Speedway clubs are fighting for a share of the same market and virtually all offer a concession. Coventry have decided not to do so, I assume because they think they will gain more from pensioners prepared to pay the full price than they lose from those who will stop going. If they are right others will probably follow.

Unlike social benefits, winter fuel, free travel etc.,for most businesses it is purely a commercial decision to maximise profits. That's why all sorts of groups, trade unions, motoring organisations, local government officers etc.,can and do get all sorts of discounts but pensioners are the largest group and have the most leisure time so attract more offers.

Coventry have made it cheaper for children and students, trying to get families come along. Some child prices are ridiculous.

• Like 1

Good to have a bit of positive news regarding the campaign but who will be prepared to put in some investment into the stadium to improve the facilities? The only people that it would be in the interests of to invest would be the stadium owners and why would they invest if they want it sold for building?

• Like 1