British Speedway Forum

"Work could start as early as May on the new venue."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“If everything goes to plan we would hope to start work in 10 weeks so everything will be ready for next season.
Seem to be two contradicting statements there unless I'm reading it wrongly. :blink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“If everything goes to plan we would hope to start work in 10 weeks so everything will be ready for next season.
Seem to be two contradicting statements there unless I'm reading it wrongly. :blink:

It was a press release from last March. It was referring to the hope that work would start in May 2015 and be ready for next season.

God knows why someone has gone into a time warp and reposted the full thing today!

Do not forget that this info was put out in March 2015, to start May 2015, which should have been June 2015, and the stadium be ready in March 2016. Some locals knew that detailed planning permission had not been granted so it was unlikely that the above dates would be met.

• Like 1

Do not forget that this info was put out in March 2015, to start May 2015, which should have been June 2015, and the stadium be ready in March 2016. Some locals knew that detailed planning permission had not been granted so it was unlikely that the above dates would be met.

dates met!!!?....put it this way, I think a few dates are behind schedule in Reading and Milton Keynes as well!

It was a press release from last March. It was referring to the hope that work would start in May 2015 and be ready for next season.

God knows why someone has gone into a time warp and reposted the full thing today!

...because hopefully it may clear up a few points and misunderstandings and/or misinformation?

Ah yes thank you. I see the date at the bottom now. :oops: I just presumed as it was posted today it was something new.

Yes, but you have doubts about everything and contribute nothing.

Problem is Tsumani I suspect there are very few who actually believed when the 'End of an Era' meeting was held was really going to be that. Given that the Swindon promotion knew that no planning permission had been sought then to kid people that the stadium would be ready for March is surely treating people as fools. As the article from March demonstrates its not exactly moving at a pace that suggests its achievable

I admire their optimism if they ever thought for one minute it would really happen

Edited by Chris Brown
  • Like 2

Problem is Tsumani I suspect there are very few who actually believed when the 'End of an Era' meeting was held was really going to be that. Given that the Swindon promotion knew that no planning permission had been sought then to kid people that the stadium would be ready for March is surely treating people as fools. As the article from March demonstrates its not exactly moving at a pace that suggests its achievable

I admire their optimism if they ever thought for one minute it would really happen

Hi Chris!

I agree entirely! I've been out of the 'speedway loop' for a decade but keep tentative tabs. I always thought this particular thread optimistic knowing how planning works. However there are some who should know better who allowed the story to run raising people's hopes. I only initiated this thread based on a conversation that I had a number of weeks ago with a group from Swindon who appeared to have some evidence that things were moving...since proved to be not the case!

Hope that life in Oxford is fine and that Cowley may soon see some movement but I'm sure that there is still a long way to go.

Yes, I read the pessimism at the time, and quite rightly with the stadium owners track record as you already know. But you can only go with what is said in terms of promises, and proceed hoping the promises are going to be honoured. To have not gone ahead with the "End of' meeting would have very disappointing to all the home fans demanding one. Let's hope that the new plans can accommodate a speedway track pretty soon, as the team is now starting to sign riders for 2016, and I don't think Doyle would risk his career at this point in time if it was a sham. Let's hope so.

• Like 1

Yes, I read the pessimism at the time, and quite rightly with the stadium owners track record as you already know. But you can only go with what is said in terms of promises, and proceed hoping the promises are going to be honoured. To have not gone ahead with the "End of' meeting would have very disappointing to all the home fans demanding one. Let's hope that the new plans can accommodate a speedway track pretty soon, as the team is now starting to sign riders for 2016, and I don't think Doyle would risk his career at this point in time if it was a sham. Let's hope so.

What a load of garbage that is ! It would just take a statement from Swindon along the lines of " We are not going to put on the end of era meeting meeting because we are unsure whether this is the end for the present stadium" ,problem solved. Judging by the short amount of time after the meeting took place and the announcement telling the fans that the new stadium was going to be delayed,I would be amazed that the promoters were not aware.

What a load of garbage that is ! It would just take a statement from Swindon along the lines of " We are not going to put on the end of era meeting meeting because we are unsure whether this is the end for the present stadium" ,problem solved. Judging by the short amount of time after the meeting took place and the announcement telling the fans that the new stadium was going to be delayed,I would be amazed that the promoters were not aware.

You would one of the first to disbelieve any statement similar to that one. A moaner if they do, a moaner if they don't.

You would one of the first to disbelieve any statement similar to that one. A moaner if they do, a moaner if they don't.

I prefer to call it pointing out the very serious shortcomings in customer care & consideration by speedway promoters, but unfortunately they ,like yourself are still living in the 1950's.and don't see what they are doing wrong.

• Like 1

I prefer to call it pointing out the very serious shortcomings in customer care & consideration by speedway promoters, but unfortunately they ,like yourself are still living in the 1950's.and don't see what they are doing wrong.

Ha ha. It would seem to most that the bad boys are the people providing or not providing the stadium, but that's beyond your narrow stilted thinking. Move on.

Ha ha. It would seem to most that the bad boys are the people providing or not providing the stadium, but that's beyond your narrow stilted thinking. Move on.

You need to read the post more carefully.

My comments are about the running of the end of era meeting, bugger all to do with the stadium owners/builders.

I suggest that is yourself that suffers from narrow thinking, along with your promoter buddies,while you continue to make yourself look a complete fool in attempting to justify their dodgy actions.

• Like 1