British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Parry's International Coaches

At my place of work, yesterday, I got talking to some tourists from Birmingham who had travelled to York via Parry's International Coaches. We had an interesting chat (they were none speedway fans) but were aware that the signage on the side of the coach stated that 'Parry's International' were team sponsors of Wolverhampton Speedway. Dave Parry was apparently on the coach so I told said visitors to impress upon him that they knew that he once rode for Crewe and Crayford and was responsible for introducing Hans Nielsen to British speedway!

• Like 2

Crewe and Crayford

Is it possible to ride for 2 such different tracks nowadays

Edited by Triple.H.

Crewe and Crayford

Is it possible to ride for 2 such different tracks nowadays

I guess it must be. :blink:

Berwick and Plymouth would be a modern equivalent. Has anyone ridden for both of these teams?

At my place of work, yesterday, I got talking to some tourists from Birmingham who had travelled to York via Parry's International Coaches. We had an interesting chat (they were none speedway fans) but were aware that the signage on the side of the coach stated that 'Parry's International' were team sponsors of Wolverhampton Speedway. Dave Parry was apparently on the coach so I told said visitors to impress upon him that they knew that he once rode for Crewe and Crayford and was responsible for introducing Hans Nielsen to British speedway!

I think Parry's are finished this year , I read an article that said the company was being sold .

I think Parry's are finished this year , I read an article that said the company was being sold .

Think you will find he had a change of heart after pleas from customers not to sell

I thought Crewe was a huge track probably a lot bigger than Berwick

Didn't a rider set the fastest average speed there many moons ago

Believe it was Barry Meeks? I spoke to Ian Cartwright a couple of years ago (rode for Crewe during the seventies) and he confirmed that it was big 'un...around a cricket pitch!

Believe it was Barry Meeks? I spoke to Ian Cartwright a couple of years ago (rode for Crewe during the seventies) and he confirmed that it was big 'un...around a cricket pitch!

There was, according to 'speedway legend', a London track round a cricket pitch. This was as I recall in Penerley Road, Catford, south London, and was at the Catford Cricket Club ground.

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/thread/241/catford

Edited by Guest

If it was in Catford,it was close to one of the shortest at New Cross.

Do you reckon we could get one round the pitch in the University Parks though it'd be a restricted view with the pavilion inside one of the bends
  • Like 1

Barry Meeks fast speed at Crewe is mentioned in this Link (on a wonderful website): scroll down to 'Your Feedback" for the reference:

http://www.speedwayplus.com/EverDecreasingCircles.shtml

Edited by Guest

Barry Meeks spent a long while in the Guiness Book of Records as the fastest ever recorded Speedway Rider.

• Like 1

Barry Meeks spent a long while in the Guiness Book of Records as the fastest ever recorded Speedway Rider.

Excusing your comedy gold with old Gustix, can you both either contribute to the thread or do one ?

Your holier than attitude does fall down on a thread like this.

Edited by The Doctor...

Do you reckon we could get one round the pitch in the University Parks though it'd be a restricted view with the pavilion inside one of the bends

Very good I like it!

Excusing your comedy gold with old Gustix, can you both either contribute to the thread or do one ?

Your holier than attitude does fall down on a thread like this.

Eh! This thread (which I started) was about Dave Parry's coach firm and his subsequent connection with Crayford, Crewe and Hans Nielsen. What's the point that you are trying to make?

• Like 1