British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
E I Addio

The Curious Case Of The Invisible Chairman.

Back in October, after the AGM we learned that there was to be a heatleader list but no details were given of who was on it or how riders were selected. We subsequently had a full interview with the new BSPA chairman Buster Chapman telling us how he was going to put British Speedwáy back on the map but all he said about the heatleader list was, well, not much. Now normally it's the chairmanship job, or at least a senior executive to explain such things but in the event Jon Cook, who is not even on the MC these days was wheeled out to give an interview to SS, and still not a word from the Chairman.

Then when the Lakeside team is named we suddenly discover there is to be some sort of squad system, but no details are given, still no statement from from the BSPA and in particular not a word from the chairman, who by all accounts is not even keeping his own fans informed about his own team building.

Now in this weeks SS we find Jon Cook is wheeled out again to explain where we are with the squad system. Alright, the full details are not yet finalised but at least we have an idea what's going on, but once again why did this information about a pretty radical change to team building not come from the Chairman?

Now we come to the interesting part. Despite all we heard from the Chairman about all he is going to do for Speedwáy we now discover that the squad system is the brainchild of.....you've guessed it Matt Ford.

Is it just me or is there a feeling of deja vu about all this , a proposal by Matt Ford being adopted with very little input or comment from the Chairman . Or, to put it another way round, who actually is in charge at the BSPA ?

He has a Q&A on twitter coming up, probably keep quiet until then!

Theres a question and answer session next Tuesday at Poole in the Darcy Ward fund raising night. Fans can ask Middlo questions so lets see what he will have to say on the subject if he knows anything about it.

Ford has been talking about the need for a Squad system for the past 2 or 3 seasons so it's pretty clear he is fully behind it.

That said CVS confirmed it is happening next season but it looks like some promoters want to force it early.

If riders want to come and share this season I personally don't see the issue.

Ford has been talking about the need for a Squad system for the past 2 or 3 seasons so it's pretty clear he is fully behind it.

That said CVS confirmed it is happening next season but it looks like some promoters want to force it early.

A squad systems is the way to go, but how do you going about implimenting it ? Easier said than done.

I wouldn't mind squads but not for it to be forced through just to give some clubs an advantage/helping hand. Most teams have built their teams without this as part of the team building regulations, bring it in for 2017 and take time to implement it correctly.

He has a Q&A on twitter coming up, probably keep quiet until then!

Sneaky. He can pick and choose which questions to answer unlike a public forum meeting.

Theres a question and answer session next Tuesday at Poole in the Darcy Ward fund raising night. Fans can ask Middlo questions so lets see what he will have to say on the subject if he knows anything about it.

Good luck with that - Tuesday is Greyhound night at Poole!! :D The darcy fundraiser is on Wednesday 10th.

Sneaky. He can pick and choose which questions to answer unlike a public forum meeting.

The public forum is on 24th February!!

Matt Ford first suggested squads back in 2011. Even though it won't benefit Poole this year it has to help those clubs that haven't yet completed their 1-7s!! :wink:

A squad systems is the way to go, but how do you going about implimenting it ? Easier said than done.

it is the way to go but like you say it needs to be fairly implemented.

I wouldn't mind squads but not for it to be forced through just to give some clubs an advantage/helping hand. Most teams have built their teams without this as part of the team building regulations, bring it in for 2017 and take time to implement it correctly.

It only suited 1 side to NOT have squads this year so I think it's fair to say virtually all the promoters are on board with the change.

Matt Ford first suggested squads back in 2011. Even though it won't benefit Poole this year it has to help those clubs that haven't yet completed their 1-7s!! :wink:

It would benefit Poole any season when it's brought in!

Like it would any team with a decent asset list - Wolves included.

Back in October, after the AGM we learned that there was to be a heatleader list but no details were given of who was on it or how riders were selected. We subsequently had a full interview with the new BSPA chairman Buster Chapman telling us how he was going to put British Speedwáy back on the map but all he said about the heatleader list was, well, not much. Now normally it's the chairmanship job, or at least a senior executive to explain such things but in the event Jon Cook, who is not even on the MC these days was wheeled out to give an interview to SS, and still not a word from the Chairman.

Then when the Lakeside team is named we suddenly discover there is to be some sort of squad system, but no details are given, still no statement from from the BSPA and in particular not a word from the chairman, who by all accounts is not even keeping his own fans informed about his own team building.

Now in this weeks SS we find Jon Cook is wheeled out again to explain where we are with the squad system. Alright, the full details are not yet finalised but at least we have an idea what's going on, but once again why did this information about a pretty radical change to team building not come from the Chairman?

Now we come to the interesting part. Despite all we heard from the Chairman about all he is going to do for Speedwáy we now discover that the squad system is the brainchild of.....you've guessed it Matt Ford.

Is it just me or is there a feeling of deja vu about all this , a proposal by Matt Ford being adopted with very little input or comment from the Chairman . Or, to put it another way round, who actually is in charge at the BSPA ?

Of course its deja vu.

What Ford wants, Cook will run around like a lap dog to deliver.... then E I will try and paint a rosy picture of the corrupt goings on.

Chapman has zero chance of improving the sport, he simply won't be allowed too and will be undermined at every available opportunity.

• Like 2

Of course its deja vu.

What Ford wants, Cook will run around like a lap dog to deliver.... then E I will try and paint a rosy picture of the corrupt goings on.

Chapman has zero chance of improving the sport, he simply won't be allowed too and will be undermined at every available opportunity.

Does everybody have the same outlook on life in your part of the World ?

• Like 2

It only suited 1 side to NOT have squads this year so I think it's fair to say virtually all the promoters are on board with the change.

Wrong. Poole, BV and Swindon have built their teams without the need for squads. Coventry could possibly have done with a squad member for the young Pole, Lakeside seem to be building to double figures, KL need a number 1 (which is probably excluded from squads). Wolves have built a team of middle order riders and Leicester are auditioning for Dads Army (which is out at the cinema in the next few weeks).

Does everybody have the same outlook on life in your part of the World ?

When it comes to Crook and Fraund I think nearly everyone has the same outlook no matter what part of the world they come from

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

Wrong. Poole, BV and Swindon have built their teams without the need for squads. Coventry could possibly have done with a squad member for the young Pole, Lakeside seem to be building to double figures, KL need a number 1 (which is probably excluded from squads). Wolves have built a team of middle order riders and Leicester are auditioning for Dads Army (which is out at the cinema in the next few weeks).

Of course teams have built their teams without squads because it was agreed at the AGM to introduce it in 2017.

It's clear at least 1 promoter wants to force the issue for this season.

My point was intended to highlight the issue when it's introduce not to reflect on this season.