British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Tv Coverage Of Swedish League 2016

With the 1st week of May fast approaching the lack of any announcement about anyone buying and showing the Swedish league is a concern. I think we can rule Eurosport out. so who does that leave ?

There also hasn`t been any announcement about Poland showing it-and I would have thought Orange Sport, 11 sport, Polsat sport would have been more than interested in acquiring the rights, especially with the number of Polish riders in the league.

Certainly if shown in Poland and not in the UK we will be ok to watch on a decent stream.

If neither we will have to rely on a C MORE Swedish stream-which could prove to be a real problem.

We will just have to wait and see !!

Swedish Speedway is back on Eurosport this season :

At the weekend, David Rowe (daverowe01 on twitter) tweeted :

"Need to do some Swedish Speedway prep over the next few weeks :D "

I replied asking which Channel would be showing the Swedish Speedway this season, to which David replied "Same platform as last year"

• Like 2

Swedish Speedway is back on Eurosport this season :

At the weekend, David Rowe (daverowe01 on twitter) tweeted :

"Need to do some Swedish Speedway prep over the next few weeks :D "

I replied asking which Channel would be showing the Swedish Speedway this season, to which David replied "Same platform as last year"

Great news- so much for me saying we can rule Eurosport out !!!!

Great news- so much for me saying we can rule Eurosport out !!!!

I expect it's a last-minute decision on a reduced fee. Great news though - I love watching the Swedish League. Much prefer it to Poland.

Let's hope for a drier start to the season and better scheduling by Eurosport.

This is perhaps a little bit of-topic but lets givit a try. This Saturday Vetlanda are hosting their regular team-cup where the final will shown live online at several newspapers websites @ 14.00. The majority of the riders are from Sweden and perhaps not best of the Swedish riders except THJ but could be fun to watch for those of you who are interested.

http://www.smt.se/article/nyforvarven-till-lagcupen/ Includes the line-ups and more info about the coverage of the event (no idea if it possible to watch outside Sweden).

ARE the meetings being shown live or recorded highlights later in the week?

I think as like last season we will see a combination of showings depending on other events clogging up their schedules.

1 live hopefully most weeks -6pm Tuesday`s

2 " delayed live " ie full match shown at later time same night

3 Maybe a recording shown on Wednesday morning.

4 An alternative which I hope they don`t do is join a match at say 7pm at heat 8 !!

• Like 1

Why don't they show the full meetings on Eurosport player? Even if the tv-schedule is clogged, there is no limit for amount of events that can be shown on ESP player.

• Like 1

I think as like last season we will see a combination of showings depending on other events clogging up their schedules.

1 live hopefully most weeks -6pm Tuesday`s

2 " delayed live " ie full match shown at later time same night

3 Maybe a recording shown on Wednesday morning.

4 An alternative which I hope they don`t do is join a match at say 7pm at heat 8 !!

just read Peter Oakes`s column in the SS and its no.3 - a 1 hr highlights programme mostly on Wednesday`s- wonder how many races they will show in the hour- if it`s like last year about 9 !!!!!!

So to watch live it`s either find a C MORE Sweden stream or hope Polish Eurosport are showing it live.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

just read Peter Oakes`s column in the SS and its no.3 - a 1 hr highlights programme mostly on Wednesday`s- wonder how many races they will show in the hour- if it`s like last year about 9 !!!!!!

So to watch live it`s either find a C MORE Sweden stream or hope Polish Eurosport are showing it live.

I read a post on a TV forum from a Motocross supporter lamenting Eurosport's handling of his sport. It seems that even after the Discovery takeover Eurosport's haphazard scheduling carries on.

It really is an abuse of the rights. Looks like a couple of weeks searching for a reliable Swedish streamer.

Unlike the deal with One Sport which is with Eurosport Poland I expect that the Swedish deal isn't so I wouldn't be too sure of the Polish version being any better than the general service in this case. Time will tell, but it's not such good news.

I read a post on a TV forum from a Motocross supporter lamenting Eurosport's handling of his sport. It seems that even after the Discovery takeover Eurosport's haphazard scheduling carries on.

It really is an abuse of the rights. Looks like a couple of weeks searching for a reliable Swedish streamer.

I agree but I can to some extent understand ESP as well. Based on what the Dutch ESP told me, ESP has been very unhappy about the feeds from Sweden,

allot of delays due rain or crashes and etc. Is it on or off? When is there a decision on whether the meeting is on or off and etc.

From that perspective I can understand why ESP are reluctant to show it live.

I agree but I can to some extent understand ESP as well. Based on what the Dutch ESP told me, ESP has been very unhappy about the feeds from Sweden,

allot of delays due rain or crashes and etc. Is it on or off? When is there a decision on whether the meeting is on or off and etc.

From that perspective I can understand why ESP are reluctant to show it live.

I can understand to a point but last season was unusual in that the first two meetings were postponed. The Swedish determination to get meetings on when most tracks in Britain would have long given up is marked and to be respected but it does play havoc with the TV companies who I am sure would prefer to just put a substitute programme on than carry an hour of updates on track repairs. It's great for the fans that meetings are saved but understandably bad for TV.

I think Eurosport have been premature though. Their chaotic scheduling was just about acceptable in the early days of satellite TV in the late 80s and early 90s but not now. If they can't make use of the live feed they really should surrender the rights to someone who will.

Here we had Premier Sports doing fine with a far more basic international feed until Eurosport came in to take over the contract, since when the UK coverage has been all over the place. Of course the benefit is that Swedish racing was shown in many other countries other than the majors.

As long as it is edited to show all the heats then I'm quite happy with an hour on Wednesdays.

I'm sorry, but given their past record that is probably unlikely. It would be excellent though f they did so let's hope.

Edited by rmc