British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gresham

Second Half Meetings....

I think that's the point, until they're riding for the Brummies main team, it's not really of interest. It's not an alien concept I don't think, it goes for youth standards in all sports, the crowds are a tiny fraction of what the senior sides get because the public are only interested in the "main event".

With you on this. I can't even watch the National League Young Stars as they're just 'the reserve team' as such. No interest at all.

Can't bear the MDL, seen a few races and it just became unbearable watching them throw themselves at the fence.

I'm all for the 15 heat 'main event' then go home.

I can only speak for Berwick, who I support, but I'm always surprised at the number of supporters who stay behind after Premier League meetings to watch the NJL meetings. I realise that there will be a fall off from the number watching the "main event" but I can only imagine that fans want value for money and will watch these extra races, although there is an obvious drop off in standard. I would reckon around about half of the crowd stay behind for these junior matches.

I would like to see a countrywide effort to have second half racing. Two reasons 1) it gives the fans more value for money and 2) the development of young riders which is vital to the sport. Even if it was regionalised to cur down costs and even if teams raced as former clubs "Exeter, Weymouth" etc. to keep the names of these clubs alive.

• Like 4

I stop and watch second halves but I wish they were proper second halves as used to be run at Belle Vue (Hyde Road) all riders from the main meeting taking part. Prize money and a trophy donated by a local company. .

Edited by fredbogge
  • Like 6

I stop and watch second halves but I wish they were proper second halves as used to be run at Belle Vue (Hyde Road) all riders from the main meeting taking part. Prize money and a trophy donated by a local company.

I used to enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere of a second half and being able to wind down and chat with mates after the main event...and a chance to enjoy a bag of chips!

• Like 1

I stop and watch second halves but I wish they were proper second halves as used to be run at Belle Vue (Hyde Road) all riders from the main meeting taking part. Prize money and a trophy donated by a local company. .

That just seems even more ludicrous to me than watching the youth riders! Maybe it was more acceptable back in the day but I can't imagine many newbies in this day and age finding it anything other than a bit of a circus. Again I only speak for myself but I can't imagine any reason why I'd want to stay after the meeting to watch the same riders essentially have a challenge meeting against each other.

I'd rather clubs concentrated on getting the 15 heats presented properly, efficiently and in as competitive a manner as possible.

• Like 1

That just seems even more ludicrous to me than watching the youth riders! Maybe it was more acceptable back in the day but I can't imagine many newbies in this day and age finding it anything other than a bit of a circus. Again I only speak for myself but I can't imagine any reason why I'd want to stay after the meeting to watch the same riders essentially have a challenge meeting against each other.

I'd rather clubs concentrated on getting the 15 heats presented properly, efficiently and in as competitive a manner as possible.

Exactly, the old style second halves really are a thing of the past and will never return.

I do agree though that junior racing in the 2nd half of meetings should be encouraged. Although I mentioned earlier that most fans don't stay to watch, I was not and when I have the opportunity to attend now, am not one of them as I do watch.

I totally agree also that the main priority should be in the presentation of the main meeting.

• Like 1

Rye House are currently running 3 150cc box class races for a regular group of riders before the main meeting starts.

• Like 1

With you on this. I can't even watch the National League Young Stars as they're just 'the reserve team' as such. No interest at all.

Can't bear the MDL, seen a few races and it just became unbearable watching them throw themselves at the fence.

I'm all for the 15 heat 'main event' then go home.

where will the riders for heat 15 come from in the future if the kids dont get a chance in the present , dont come the practises and amateur rubbish . because they are worlds apart from actual racing ,in a team , in a league under all the rules of real speedway .., would not surpirse me one bit ,to find you on another thread complaining that our leagues are full of foreigners , attitudes like yours and a few others are the very reason why our teams are full of journeymen foreign riders , instead of being full of richie worralls ,

• Like 2

Correct..

At most tracks the vast majority of the crowd leave at the end of the main meeting.

It is what used to happen in the 70s and 80s.I generally always stayed,but I was in a minority.Some I guess look back through rose tinted glasses or maybe the tracks I visited were different to those others visited and most people stayed,though I doubt it

where will the riders for heat 15 come from in the future if the kids dont get a chance in the present , dont come the practises and amateur rubbish . because they are worlds apart from actual racing ,in a team , in a league under all the rules of real speedway .., would not surpirse me one bit ,to find you on another thread complaining that our leagues are full of foreigners , attitudes like yours and a few others are the very reason why our teams are full of journeymen foreign riders , instead of being full of richie worralls ,

It is a shame more people don't take an interest.

But it is the same in many sports. Many people are only interested in the main event and the result...they have no interest in the sportsman's journey...they just want to see the finished article.

It's good to read about young British riders being invested in heavily, and academy's being pushed and promoted. It's just a shame so much money has to be invested in finding speed for these youngsters, just so they can compete with the highly sponsored youngsters abroad.

I'm guessing a lot of British talent has gone to waste because of the costs involved. Sad if you have the talent, but not the finance to compete competitively.

I'm guessing you have two camps which has been alluded too...those who like the meetings, and their team, and those who follow speedway as a whole.

I got my interest in following speedway and watching the youngsters develop, by staying behind for the second halves, and listening to my friend who was an ex rider, who would explain everything happening. Hearing it through a riders eyes and opinions certainly made it more enjoyable.

• Like 2

It is what used to happen in the 70s and 80s.I generally always stayed,but I was in a minority.Some I guess look back through rose tinted glasses or maybe the tracks I visited were different to those others visited and most people stayed,though I doubt it

As I've stated many times before we were fortunate at Cowley in that we got to see the kids of Eastbourne and Peterborough due to the promotional tie up during 'The Rebels' era and later at White City.

Oxford even introduced grass trackers to compete in the second half and we got to see the likes of Julian Wigg, Ken Matthews, Chris Drewett (who used to service my car), Paul Tapp, Kevin Hawkins etc who all progressed in some measure. They were exciting times at Cowley and one that I'm glad I experienced.

Remember a young Ashley Pullen plying his trade down at Weymouth as an unknown and Simon Wigg at Reading. A great platform for youngsters to progress riding against the senior riders.

Also saw Michael Lee start out as a fifteen year old back in 1974 during a second half at Cowley and somebody called Tony Brooklister...who turned out to be Colin Mededith under a pseudonym!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Those who don't want to watch, simple, they don't have to. I still think second half junior racing is an important part of the sport to breed new young riders. If you want to stay on and watch them do so, if not, don't. It's not everybody's cup of tea, but interesting to some.

• Like 3

Again I only speak for myself but I can't imagine any reason why I'd want to stay after the meeting to watch the same riders essentially have a challenge meeting against each other.

I think 20 heats is about the right length for a meeting and would provide better value for money provided it's run properly and not unnecessarily dragged out.

Seeing riders race in a different format with juniors mixed in could still be interesting if it was done properly, such as reasonable prize being put up and the second-halves linked to some sort of meaningful season-long competition. The problem with the old second halves was lack of continuity from week-to-week and increasingly diminishing points money that discouraged riders from taking them seriously.

There big issue though, would be the potentially increased costs of running the second halves, although I think that could ultimately be addressed by splitting existing points money. Some riders might not like it, but that leads to the wider issue about what riders British speedway can afford anyway.

• Like 1

Are there any/many reasons why the second half can't be put on before the main event? I think there may be some advantages to letting the juniors race first.

There would be some activity going on as people arrive making it more exciting, especially for a newcomer, thereby creating a better atmosphere.

The track will have been raced on with the dirt line moved, and it would give the main event riders a chance to see how the track races.

More people would get to see the up and coming riders learning their craft and may take an interest in their development.

The start time would be moved forward to allow the meeting as a whole to be completed and those there early enough to see it all would have good value for money.

It would certainly take away some of the quiet time that exists while you wait for the meeting to start, listening to 70's music or the centre green announcer rattling on about nothing with a bad radio mic. ( BTW, why do most tracks seem to play the same music? I thought that if you had a public licence you could play anything you like!)

Are there any/many reasons why the second half can't be put on before the main event? I think there may be some advantages to letting the juniors race first.

There would be some activity going on as people arrive making it more exciting, especially for a newcomer, thereby creating a better atmosphere.

The track will have been raced on with the dirt line moved, and it would give the main event riders a chance to see how the track races.

More people would get to see the up and coming riders learning their craft and may take an interest in their development.

The start time would be moved forward to allow the meeting as a whole to be completed and those there early enough to see it all would have good value for money.

It would certainly take away some of the quiet time that exists while you wait for the meeting to start, listening to 70's music or the centre green announcer rattling on about nothing with a bad radio mic. ( BTW, why do most tracks seem to play the same music? I thought that if you had a public licence you could play anything you like!)

My memory isn't what it once was but I recall Oxford running flying lap races prior to the commencement of the main meeting involving those same riders? Was this a national initiative or just a Cowley thing? Perhaps Rob can clarify?

Edited by steve roberts