British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Sheffield 2017

Does anyone know what has actually happened between Garrity and the Bates'? Him and Josh seem to get on great in the pits, after race wins etc and now all of a sudden they've all fallen out?

Is there any true stories or all just rumours?

• Like 1

Does anyone know what has actually happened between Garrity and the Bates'? Him and Josh seem to get on great in the pits, after race wins etc and now all of a sudden they've all fallen out?

Is there any true stories or all just rumours?

No is probably the quick answer I suspect! There was a comment from the Ipswich press guy that he'd had an argument with Boocock (I think) when he pulled out of the meeting there and it all seems to have stemmed from that. Although the way it was phrased in the programme that he wasn't going to be riding for us again this year was slightly curious I thought.

After tonights showing we need a complete clear out

the only three i would consider are

Berge

Howarth

Sissis

hopefully Parkinson Blackburn as a 3 pointer and then three others, maybe Rory Schlien

From what Simon said after the PLRC it would appear that he's considering retirement, and if he gets the chance I think he would be presenting alongside Nigel Pearson on Sky, giving Tatum the chance to concentrate on his managerial job with Lakeside. Howarth has had a reasonable season, sometimes looked really good, but had the occasional off night. Berge is definitely ok around Owlerton, when he gates, didn't see him pass many when he didn't, and he didn't do that well at the away tracks did he? Sissis might perform better with improved machinery under him. Greaves needs to concentrate on the National League. Garrity won't be back if he's fallen out with the Bates clan. although I'd like to see him back as he's provided the most entertainment this year. Bates, I didn't want to see him here this year, but when his family is running the show, can't see him going elsewhere, please let me be wrong!

Kelvin won't give up Sky he managed to ride s/way and longtrack at the same time as he worked for Sky in the past and with all due repect Simon hasn't got the same disposition as Kelvin in front of the camera .Simon should retire one major injury too many IMO and would make an excellent team manager plus he can bring so much to the sport in other ways .

Edited by FAST GATER

I dont get this clamour for Simon to retire...

He is averaging 8.5, he is the current premier league champion and is the only rider to beat the British champion Danny King at Ipswich in over 40 races...

Simon seems to have had a few issues with bikes and setups this year but is still on a 2016 GSA after 27 meetings and 123 races 8.42including an away average of 7.92 which is probably as good as any other number 1 in the premier league.

Will update my team later as really dont know how to change it for the better.. 2 riders who should NOT be in the Sheffield 7 are Josh Bates and Nathan Greaves

• Like 3

I don't think there is a clamour as such for Steady to retire, I just think there is a general feeling that he might do. Yes, his average is still competent but compared to what it was before his injury last season, that's been a drop of a point and a half a meeting before we have started. Not knocking him at all, just saying how it is.

Discounting Garrity for the moment, the only others I would have back next season are Dimitri Berge and Kyle Howarth. I think Nathan Greaves needs to be taken out of the firing line, he has been out of his depth the majority of the time.

As I have pointed out before on other threads, in a pairing, if a rider ups his game & has a good year his partner suffers(3 & 4 - Worrall & Barker at Glasgow) aka Berge & Stead. If Berge has gated in front I think Stead, as captain, has protected him with the minimal amount of passing Owlerton has served up the last 2 years, affecting his CMA.

Heard some rumours last night regarding Garrity and I emphasise these are rumours. Garrity or his mechanic has been disqualified from driving (reason unknown) and that Rentruck have taken his hire van off him. This has apparently caused some friction between the rider and both promotions he rides for.

At Ipswich when he declared himself unfit to ride, Boocock told him if he wasn't riding that night and the Friday, he wouldn't be riding at the PLRC on the Sunday and at that point the exchange got physical and Garrity had Boocock by the throat, Josh B tried to intervene and also had a physical exchange with Garrity.

As a result the Sheffield promotion immediately dispensed with his services and when the Coventry promotion were informed of the circumstances, they also sacked him.

Don't know the accuracy of these rumours, but if anyone knows different please correct this.

Crikey that sounds heavy duty.

Garrity did pile into the fence at Ippo though before he pulled out for the evening.

I dont get this clamour for Simon to retire...

He is averaging 8.5, he is the current premier league champion and is the only rider to beat the British champion Danny King at Ipswich in over 40 races...

Simon seems to have had a few issues with bikes and setups this year but is still on a 2016 GSA after 27 meetings and 123 races 8.42including an away average of 7.92 which is probably as good as any other number 1 in the premier league.

Will update my team later as really dont know how to change it for the better.. 2 riders who should NOT be in the Sheffield 7 are Josh Bates and Nathan Greaves

I have every respect for Steady and his years of service have shown him to be a true professional and he will always be a Tigers speedway legend. However, from a 10+ average a year ago he's down to 8.5. In a year's time the 8.5 will probably become 7.5. He's no spring chicken and he's proving to be prone to injury. His many fans (and I'm one of them) will not want him to end his career struggling to keep up with the "ordinary" riders or getting yet another serious injury. If he were to retire now he would retire as PLRC champion and will always be remembered as such. He has IMO far more to offer the sport as a manager / coach / mentor, and I think that's the path he should follow.

The promotion will shortly be making decisions about the team for next year and I would much prefer them to secure the services of a no.1 with an average of 8.5 on the way up rather than one with an 8.5 average on the way down. Sorry to be brutal, but that's the way it is with Steady.

• Like 3

Heard some rumours last night regarding Garrity and I emphasise these are rumours. Garrity or his mechanic has been disqualified from driving (reason unknown) and that Rentruck have taken his hire van off him. This has apparently caused some friction between the rider and both promotions he rides for.

At Ipswich when he declared himself unfit to ride, Boocock told him if he wasn't riding that night and the Friday, he wouldn't be riding at the PLRC on the Sunday and at that point the exchange got physical and Garrity had Boocock by the throat, Josh B tried to intervene and also had a physical exchange with Garrity.

As a result the Sheffield promotion immediately dispensed with his services and when the Coventry promotion were informed of the circumstances, they also sacked him.

Don't know the accuracy of these rumours, but if anyone knows different please correct this.

He doesn't have a rentruck van. So I would say it's just hearsay rumour

Jack Parkinson Blackburn would make a good reserve but i think you can rule out Kai.

When did he get a Rentruck as hasn't had one all season? Sounds like somebody starting a rumour and you have just heard it as others have been passing it on.

Josh was still very complimentary of Jason even when he was out injured

Seams to fall in with what I was told by the fans on the 15th Sept. ( but not the bit about the van )!!!

I have no idea what has gone on or indeed if he is actually just injured (heaven forbid), but think that people probably need to be very careful about spreading unsubstantiated rumours to the degree of saying he's been taking drugs. Especially by the sounds of it when part of the basis of the story is wholly untrue in that he didn't have a are truck vehicle. Things like that could cause untold problems for him if not true and also for anybody writing it.

Don't know the guy other than to watch him race, just think people should stay clear of such serious accusations/rumours. All in my most humble opinion obviously.

• Like 4