British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
soupy

Edinburgh 2017

I blame the schools but I smell your fear.

The BSPA agreed this year he was British enough for them but he's obviously not British enough for some of our neighbours.

• Like 1

So if there was to be a Championship Great Britain test series match v Australia and Mark Lemon asked him to race for Australia he would say no I'm British, like hell he would !

I'm not against the boy racing but Edinburgh should have to sign a British rider as there 7th and final rider to go with Clegg. Only in speedway I'm afraid.

What a load of bollocks. What makes someone British? Can't say I'm that excited by the signing but he's got a British passport so he counts.

• Like 1

I'm not against the boy racing but Edinburgh should have to sign a British rider as there 7th and final rider to go with Clegg. Only in speedway I'm afraid.

nope try cricket rugby football infact any sport

• Like 5

Mitchell riding at number 7 is wrong. Edinburgh should have to do what everyone else has had to do and sign a genuine 2 point rider. He may have an average around that mark but it's not in the interests of the sport. No harm at all to Mitchell.

• Like 4

Mitchell riding at number 7 is wrong. Edinburgh should have to do what everyone else has had to do and sign a genuine 2 point rider. He may have an average around that mark but it's not in the interests of the sport. No harm at all to Mitchell.

he didnt gain a avererage last year so should he be classed as a new rider like mason compton and others were last year

not sure of full details regarding him qualifying as british but he came over as a aussie so cant see why hes any different to the likes of ty proctor who was made to go home or mason campton who was made wait till he qualified and the others whove been made to stay or go back to australia

yes living here full time like rusty harison did without going home should count for something but not the full on 2 pt british rider thingy

Edited by scarra
  • Like 2

Just google the Wiki entry for "Plastic Brit" and you will see just how rife this procedure is especially in Athletics, it does not seem to matter where you are from, or where your parents ,grand parents are from as long as you have a GB passport you are British in the eyes of the governing bodies , and if you have not got one, then the process for obtaining one can be circumvented in the interests of "sport"

Just google the Wiki entry for "Plastic Brit" and you will see just how rife this procedure is especially in Athletics, it does not seem to matter where you are from, or where your parents ,grand parents are from as long as you have a GB passport you are British in the eyes of the governing bodies , and if you have not got one, then the process for obtaining one can be circumvented in the interests of "sport"

Nationality in all sports has been a bit of a joke for decades, in rugby if you have Scottish mum an English dad,one Irish grandmother the other grandmother Welsh, a granddad French the other granddad Italian, you can play for any of those countries, a total joke.

Nationality should be simple, the country in which you are born is your nationality, when it comes to passports , the passport you use 90% to100% of the time that would define your nationality, someone with a dual passport for convenience, should be outlawed.

So if there was to be a Championship Great Britain test series match v Australia and Mark Lemon asked him to race for Australia he would say no I'm British, like hell he would !

That is completely irrelevant he has dual nationality and now qualifies to ride for both countries. In the same way they may choose to move back to Australia in the future and Donna could apply for an Aussie passport. It really is quite simple.

Then the old "only in speedway" jibe, clueless. Its strange people call themselves speedway supporters then talk down the sport at every opportunity they get. Every sport has people apply for a new nationality in order to play for a national side: athletics, football and rugby have far more than speedway ever will. I agree when people start qualifying because of residency it starts to push the boundaries of what is acceptable but ultimately it is up to the civil service who gets citizenship and no sports body has the right to change that.

• Like 1

When Glasgow signed Nick Morris what average did he come in on? (I cannot remember)

Did he not have dual nationality and has since went on to represent Australia.

• Like 4

The major problem here is the BSPA just keep coming up with stupid rules every year.If Mitch was able to ride in NL last year the he can ride in This league this year ,the average will be the only dispute IMO and that appears to be solved.

• Like 1

The major problem here is the BSPA just keep coming up with stupid rules every year.If Mitch was able to ride in NL last year the he can ride in This league this year ,the average will be the only dispute IMO and that appears to be solved.

Then time the BSPA clarified just what the position is regarding Edinburgh and Davey , and not keep fans in the dark which is just making it more complicated than what it actually is. Should he be classed as English or Australian ,should he be classed as a 2 pointer or a 3 pointer or maybe his previous average from riding in the 2nd tier, this needs clearing up seems simple enough to sort out, this should then be the benchmark for all future signings. I've just got the feeling the BSPA just don't know which way to turn on this subject and seem to be dragging there heels. Maybe they have been so involved with trying to sort out the troubles with Belle Vue and Leicester and this has just got caught up .in the system.

Do proctor and campton have British passports?

no but they were born in the same country wernt they

holding a british passport dosnt make someone british

just what is needed to be classed as british ?

so as most of the edinburgh fans are happy hes british because he holds a british passport

now what happens if he decides to go back to australia does he need to aply for a visa?

nothing against the lad or the team as such but things just need to be made the same for all teams and riders

i believe he lives here full time and as ive said in previous post that should count for something but just how much is the debate i dont class davey as a rider that is on a false average if he starts down at reserve but many others of a similar standard have had to come in on a 5 or 7 average some made it some were sent packing

its not easy and its not fair young riders need a chance but they need a fair chance aswell

now dont take this post the wrong way .

how come edinburgh turn an easy number 7 rule into a hard one or the bspa turn it into a hard one ?

was zola budd british ?

proctor and campton are two totally different scenario's to mitchell minor tale .

long live speedway and its ever changing rules and goalposts that have amind of their own .. as guy martin says , how hard can it be ?

dont require any flack from anyone for this post , i am getting enough to see me through christmas .. HO HO HOO.