British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Sec Final Round 2018 Chorzow Saturday September 15th

That meeting is to be scheduled two weeks after SEC, not the next day.

Ok can't blame the translation- my fault !!!!

A very rare error, you are forgiven. A chance of some good meetings next day as (guess) it will be Play Off time in Poland.

It looks a very modern huge stadium with a roof.

It was closed for many years pending this complete rebuild. It looks like there's little of the old Speedway World Final stadium left.

wikipedia said that the record attendance for Slaski was 130k for the -73 world final. Thats not right is it?

I believe the record attendance for Slaski was 120k and it was for footy.

1973 speedway world final was 100k, at least that's what people say :P

I believe the record attendance for Slaski was 120k and it was for footy.

1973 speedway world final was 100k, at least that's what people say :P

Thats what I recall as well. Remember spiegal explaining here how people were almost forced to attend to make the stadium full. Busses from different parts of the city were bringing people in... something like that

i wouldn't go as far as 'people were almost forced to attend' but we're talking here about communism's peak, back then it was very popular for all sorts of factories, coal mines, steelworks etc. to distribute tickets to their employees and provide them with transport to the venue, so yeah buses were bringing people in, but i don't think they were actually forced to attend.

back in 60s and 70s football and speedway had some crazy turn ups in Poland, partially due to lack of other things to do

Seen a programme about sport in East Germany and particularly football and I think it was a European clash between Dresden and Bayern Munich,the stadium was full of Stasi and Communist party members.A normal citizen couldn't get near the stadium for fear they might meet someone from the 'enemy'.

Poland was maybe not so bad

what is this photo above? some kind of an old visualisation? cause that's definitely not what the Slaski looks like :)

see the actual pic:

stadion_slaski334.jpg