British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2017

Agree, Buster may well have other ideas, but I hope not, I don't midweek speedway at Leicester will be financially viable .

I believe we need to have a blend of race nights next season Saturdays when allows around sgp and a dedicated night in week. Early season may be difficult for some young family's with children however as we progress into the summer holidays should be easier. Let's remember even the footy have Saturday Sunday afternoons, evening games along with Monday,Tuesday evenings plenty attend. Unfortunately today's public have to be flexible around so many other sports. Just hope is promoted in the press far better than historically. Let's also hope if aloud buster can make track changes to allow better quality racing to entice those who have walked away. I for one will give my hard earned cash in the early days and see how we progress...he's hoping.

• Like 1

Never understood why some people think fans won't turn up to watch speedway if its not on a weekend.

Are the residents of Wolverhampton different in some way to the residents of Leicester? I doubt it other than their accents.

So how come Wolverhampton ride on a Monday, or Poole on a Wednesday? Leicester fans will turn up on a week day just the same if they are fans of their club.

• Like 4

Agree, Buster may well have other ideas, but I hope not, I don't midweek speedway at Leicester will be financially viable .

I'm pretty sure Buster was one of the first to take Kings Lynn away from the traditional British league Saturday night , many feared that would be a disaster but it wasn't , Leicester may well lose a fair bit of away support ,and a few who cant make midweek , but with the likelihood of a team challenging for honours and people who walked away because of Hemsley returning , I think there could be reasonable Local support , With Leicester city sliding down the tubes and the Tigers not doing that well either ,could be good news for speedway I think

• Like 2

Never understood why some people think fans won't turn up to watch speedway if its not on a weekend.

Are the residents of Wolverhampton different in some way to the residents of Leicester? I doubt it other than their accents.

So how come Wolverhampton ride on a Monday, or Poole on a Wednesday? Leicester fans will turn up on a week day just the same if they are fans of their club.

Biggest crowd I can remember since we joined the elite league was for a Monday night match. Admittedly it was a televised meeting and only a fiver to get in, however it shows that there's plenty of Leicester people out there willing to come along on a school night, not just a Saturday.

Unless it's £5 or £7.50 then it doesn't seem to work mid week, even team gb V Aussies on a Tuesday didn't bring in much of a crowd.

Didn't we try national league racing on a weekend? That didn't survive as it was poorly attended.

We have yet to try planned midweek racing at "elite" level. Never been to non lions fixture irrespective of day.

Give me a decent and competitive midweek team over a cannon fodder weekend team every day of midweek

Didn't we try national league racing on a weekend? That didn't survive as it was poorly attended.

We have yet to try planned midweek racing at "elite" level. Never been to non lions fixture irrespective of day.

Give me a decent and competitive midweek team over a cannon fodder weekend team every day of midweek

Absolutely. Surely nobody can look back at 3 years of scratching around to field a vaguely competitive elite team on a Saturday night and call it a success so far. Got to be worth trying something different?

• Like 1

Biggest crowd I can remember since we joined the elite league was for a Monday night match. Admittedly it was a televised meeting and only a fiver to get in, however it shows that there's plenty of Leicester people out there willing to come along on a school night, not just a Saturday.

I can only speak from my perspective but I'm more likely to attend on a Saturday evening than a midweek evening purely because by the time I get home from work, and especially if I've had a bad day, I'm less inclined drag myself back out than I would be anticipating a Saturday night out at the Speedway where I can build up to it. Aren't football crowds lower for midweek evenings compared to Saturday afternoons as well?

That said given the way Speedway is along as we field a competitive team whatever day then I'm not going to be complaining!

Edited by 40-38

Midweek speedway never worked at Coventry

Plenty of room to move the exterior fence out and move the temp stands back , just build over the disabled carpark . because 99% of the spaces in there are filled with hangers on and Chelsea tractor drivers who are not at all disabled ,

Can't see Dave Hemsley splurging more money on track changes when he's no longer the promoter ?

no and no to them both - Olly Allen will be your team manager

Seem to remember Schlein tweeting about Olly being his 'new boss' several weeks ago.....

We only entered a team in the NL Trophy, which was a 4 team competition with the top 2 going through to the Final. It was quite well attended for NL fixtures, if I remember right.

Edited by Honey Monster

Can remember comments from DH that it wasn't well attended and commented that the public weren't backing the introduction of a team in the NL trophy.

Personally, I can't make Saturday's. Clashes with saturday activities such as cricket.

Can remember comments from DH that it wasn't well attended and commented that the public weren't backing the introduction of a team in the NL trophy.

Personally, I can't make Saturday's. Clashes with saturday activities such as cricket.

'Not well attended' is relative.

Don't many people also work on Saturdays (and Sundays)?! The last thing they may want to do on a Saturday evening is to take the family out to Speedway - or anything else for that matter!!

If they do, there are many more family-friendly activities than a speedway meeting!!

Edited by Skidder1

I think Leicester had the most children attending matches than I've seen anywhere else so Saturday's must be a good night for parents to take them, but I'm prepared to be bombarded with statistics from other members whose team races midweek. :lol: I know some parents would consider their children staying up late with school the next day but I'd say there are a lot more who wouldn't when you also take into account how long some matches drag on. Not only that but 235 spaces in the car park usually means parking near the shopping centre so half a mile walk back there, plus the journey home means a very late night. (Okay I might be exaggerating that it's half a mile but it feels like it to me.) :P