British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
damosuzuki

Glasgow 2017

Going by the official Facebook page it change to Saturday hasn't gone down well with most people.

The post announcing the news has 103 likes. A small number of people are saying that it doesn't suit them but on the flip side there are others saying that they will able to attend more often due to the change.

The real question relates to how many people who have never been might give the sport a try now it's on a Saturday night as opposed to a Sunday afternoon?

Time will tell but personally I'm delighted.

Edited by Pep
  • Like 2

Shame to hear that Glasgow are planning to move to Saturday nights, a weekend northern tour is always good with Edinburgh Friday, Berwick Saturday and Glasgow Sunday. It makes sense for their fans though, the sport is better under lights and night time generally makes for better racing than day time, especially in the summer heat, when it does occasionally reach Glasgow!

When was the last time a team rode at Edinburgh Berwick Glasgow on successive days. Teams can still do Berwick Newcastle

Edited by SharpenRake

Sissis has been over here for a couple of years and the only track he seems to be able to ride well is Ashfield. If we were able to get bewley at 6 I'd have him rather than Arthur.

When was the last time a team rode at Edinburgh Berwick Glasgow on successive days. Teams can still do Berwick Newcastle

You don't have to be watching one team to go to all three on successive nights.

You don't have to be watching one team to go to all three on successive nights.

Why would anyone want to go to armadale unless there team was riding :o

Rumours around that an NL no 7 in on a 2 average.

Bewley at 6 seems a shoe in.

Sissis is a steal at Ashfield on 3.79 - a lot here fancied him last year.

That would give a low average tail with plenty of ability.

if you had Sissis Bewley would be in the team. Arthur's been over for a couple of years now and the only track he seems to ride well is Glasgow. We need someone like Bewley at 6 to also score away from home if the no7 has to be a new NL rider

Shame to hear that Glasgow are planning to move to Saturday nights, a weekend northern tour is always good with Edinburgh Friday, Berwick Saturday and Glasgow Sunday. It makes sense for their fans though, the sport is better under lights and night time generally makes for better racing than day time, especially in the summer heat, when it does occasionally reach Glasgow!

Come to Newcastle on a Sunday instead :)

• Like 1

Comparison with the Clan is not appropriate. They play indoors in a beautiful, warm, well-lit arena with no wind to affect comfort. Also car parking is possibly safer at Braehead than in Possil. Regular night-time racing may work in balmy southern England but not for me in Scotland.

This proposal will be a big inconvenience to fans with children, those relying on public transport, the elderly, and fans and riders who have to travel long distances home after meetings. Imagine what time Danny would have reached home if this had been in place this year.

I've been a great admirer of everything the Promotion has done since the Facenna's take-over, but this is a BIG mistake imo. I'll certainly not be there at the start and end of the season so they'll need to find one new fan just to stay at the same crowd level !

I hope and pray that the Conference refuses the application.

As Gazc says he takes it that Tapeworm is talking from a personal point of view. Personally I agree with Tapeworm, I know the owners must maximise the opportunities to increase the support but if it doesn't suit me, and it doesn't, why would I support the idea? :cry:

Lots of rumours about points limit and using new riders from NL so not sure how that affects this years no 7s. So will have to wait before playing the here's my team game. Still would be amazed and disappointed if Lawson, Summers and Lunna aren't in team

• Like 3

Going by the official Facebook page it change to Saturday hasn't gone down well with most people.

I'm not on faceache but I can read comments on the Tigers official site. What annoys me is people saying that if you're a true supporter that you'll be there. Some people just can't, I have supported Glasgow, including being employed full time by them, since I was three in 1949. As i work on a Saturday night how can I attend? If I don't work how do pay for the admission?

• Like 1

I sympathise with your situation Tyretrax , knowing where it is you work and it would be impossible to get a Saturday night off , it's a shame someone like yourself , who has been part of the furniture for decades has to miss watching the Tigers .

But we were always going to try and get away from the Sunday afternoon raceday , it will be interesting to see how it goes . It's one thing getting big crowds for evening cup finals , we'll see how it goes in the regular part of the season .

While much has been made of switching to Saturday nights , nothing has been said about the other announcement at the dance - I refer to the giant screen to be placed on bend 2 . That will add something to the evening's entertainment .

• Like 2

As others have said its a shame some people will miss out. Not much consolation but I imagine we'll have to race some matches on another day as Berwick and Workington have priority and Cardiff and maybe the other Gps as well? And no doubt the bspa will move shared events to a Saturday 😲

I'll welcome the move to run with a Saturday night as our preferred race night. Night racing is better for the track preparation which ultimately leads to better racing.

Hopefully this will maximize the revenue from the bar/food outlets and hopefully entice some more away fans up the road so they don't have to rush home from Scotland before work on Monday.

I am guessing the weeks we race the other Saturday night tracks we will run on a Sunday preferably later in the afternoon.

I'll echo Paulco's sentiments Tyretrax. Think it's time to look for a new job though :)

The big screen will be a welcome addition to the nights proceedings. Will probably help me as I don't keep the score during a meeting.

I refer to the giant screen to be placed on bend 2 . That will add something to the evening's entertainment .

Will be superb though i wonder why placing it over the old tote board on bend 3 wouldnt be a better option.

Whenever the race day is changed , it will not suit some people,

Swings and roundabouts.

Sunday 1500 hrs for any long distance travellers can be off putting whereas Saturday evening is much more manageable

Hope Saturdays work well fro Glasgow

I presume bend 2 is most visible to the majority? The Tote board wouldn't be visible on the back straight.