British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Col

Converted Averages.

I'm no mathematician, but EL only rider converting to PL * 1.4 averages.. Looks stupid.

Is there a limit, of say 11.00, because even Jason Doyle, NKI or Chris Holder on top form cannot average above 12.00.

Zagar 7.48 10.472
Fricke 6.94 9.716
Kasprzak 7.91 11.074
Harris 6.62 9.268
Woryna 4.65 6.51
Iversen 9.02 12.628
Batchelor 4.96 6.944
Jonsson 8.45 11.83
Nilsson 6.84 9.576
Bridger 5.94 8.316
Korneliussen 6.04 8.456
Schlien 5.9 8.26
Swiderski 5.2 7.28
Mear 3.65 5.11
Hougaard 6.22 8.708
Wozniak 5.91 8.274
Walasek 5.45 7.63
Ulamek 6.6 9.24
Watt 5.4 7.56
Holder 8.58 12.012
B Pedersen 6.9 9.66
Andersen 7.15 10.01
Kurtz 6.4 8.96
Buczkowski 6.09 8.526
Ellis 5.56 7.784
Doyle 9.78 13.692
Morris 6.89 9.646
Sedgeman 5.69 7.966
Lindgren 7.21 10.094
Thorsell 7.06 9.884
Kylmakorpi 6.68 9.352

I'm no mathematician, but EL only rider converting to PL * 1.4 averages.. Looks stupid.

Is there a limit, of say 11.00, because even Jason Doyle, NKI or Chris Holder on top form cannot average above 12.00.

Zagar 7.48 10.472
Fricke 6.94 9.716
Kasprzak 7.91 11.074
Harris 6.62 9.268
Woryna 4.65 6.51
Iversen 9.02 12.628
Batchelor 4.96 6.944
Jonsson 8.45 11.83
Nilsson 6.84 9.576
Bridger 5.94 8.316
Korneliussen 6.04 8.456
Schlien 5.9 8.26
Swiderski 5.2 7.28
Mear 3.65 5.11
Hougaard 6.22 8.708
Wozniak 5.91 8.274
Walasek 5.45 7.63
Ulamek 6.6 9.24
Watt 5.4 7.56
Holder 8.58 12.012
B Pedersen 6.9 9.66
Andersen 7.15 10.01
Kurtz 6.4 8.96
Buczkowski 6.09 8.526
Ellis 5.56 7.784
Doyle 9.78 13.692
Morris 6.89 9.646
Sedgeman 5.69 7.966
Lindgren 7.21 10.094
Thorsell 7.06 9.884
Kylmakorpi 6.68 9.352

Awesome list.

There needs to be some limit, because otherwise there is going to be huge changes because Doyle and Holder are not going to score 13 points a meeting. They could lose about 3 points off there averages which means we could see huge transfers through the season.

Awesome list.

There needs to be some limit, because otherwise there is going to be huge changes because Doyle and Holder are not going to score 13 points a meeting. They could lose about 3 points off there averages which means we could see huge transfers through the season.

If 50 points is the initial Declaration Limit then I would suggest that somewhere around 42.5 would be the re-declaring limit.

​The only problem is what if a rider who has achieved a 'real' average (after 4H & 4A?) gets injured and you need to replace him with a new rider whos average is EL x 1.4.

Tbh what they should have done is converted PL averages upwards so that there could have been a realistic limit of 42 points that could have been retained for the season.

As it is, I dont see an issue with Doyle being on a 13.5. yes he will likely drop 2.5 points on that. But the average team will drop 8 points, and a quality number one is still worth investing in given they will take 5 rides

If 50 points is the initial Declaration Limit then I would suggest that somewhere around 42.5 would be the re-declaring limit.

​The only problem is what if a rider who has achieved a 'real' average (after 4H & 4A?) gets injured and you need to replace him with a new rider whos average is EL x 1.4.

The commonsense approach would be they come in on a 1.2 multiplier or something like that to refleck that the league is of a lower standard than last year.

I hope this has been thought through re changes after the first green sheets otherwise we could see huge disparities between team strengths which would be no good for the league at all.

• Like 2

If past decisions are anything to go by I doubt if they have thought of that.

I can also see teams keeping their scores down for the the first month or two.

Edited by A ORLOV

Imo they will have to come in on their starting average which is set by the BSPA for all riders in January.

As teams will race 4h 4a at different times, the limit should drop once all have achieved that. Maybe put a deadline of June 15th or something. Or even 3h 3a for all.

Then allow a window for changes up until 31st July.

Edited by superguest

That would make it interesting. There are 90 points to be scored between the two teams in a match, so are we going to see some mysterious engine failures and a few 5-0s and 3-2s if both teams in the same match are trying to keep their scores down?

Some clubs may be disadvantaged too on making team changes. If one team finds themselves having the odd rain off or two and end up being the last team to have raced enough matches in order to re-declare, their preferred replacement rider(s) may already have gone elsewhere.

This is from Chris louis on the Ipswich website that clears up how converted averages will work:

The former two-times British champion believes the new ‘one average’ based on Premier League figures brings a common ground between the two leagues.

“It brings a commonality in terms of team building in both leagues and then the conversion figure will be adjusted in May when they are both up and running and we can see what it is. It was a team building formula and its simple and it works and that’s why they are going to Premier League averages so that everything is done the same way.

“It had to be done because the previous Elite League format had confused the averages and they needed to fall in line with Premier League averages. Furthermore, the base average is now two as opposed to three and the number seven rider has to be British but does not have to be a two pointer in our league.”

The current Sky Sports pundit is also pleased that team changes will not be permitted after July 31 saying the new system is more in line with other sports.

“What Poole did at the end of the season didn’t look morally right and what Peterborough did in a bid to make the play-offs didn’t look right to me. Had they (Peterborough) have made the play-offs and then succeeded and did well, that wasn’t the team that had got them there and done well. We’re trying to make that fairer and other sports do it with transfer windows so I’m happy with that change.”

Some of the averages are incorrect, Holder is 8.95, Batch and Kurtz too all slightly higher.

If they are incorrect then they were taken from the BSPA website.

If they are incorrect then they were taken from the BSPA website.

Chris Holder's average was 8.58 but moved to 8.95 with effect from 03 October 2016 which would be his starting CMA for 2017 before the x 1,4 Conversion making his opening CMA for Team Building 12.53.

• Like 2

This is from Chris louis on the Ipswich website that clears up how converted averages will work:

The former two-times British champion believes the new ‘one average’ based on Premier League figures brings a common ground between the two leagues.

“It brings a commonality in terms of team building in both leagues and then the conversion figure will be adjusted in May when they are both up and running and we can see what it is. It was a team building formula and its simple and it works and that’s why they are going to Premier League averages so that everything is done the same way.

“It had to be done because the previous Elite League format had confused the averages and they needed to fall in line with Premier League averages. Furthermore, the base average is now two as opposed to three and the number seven rider has to be British but does not have to be a two pointer in our league.”

The current Sky Sports pundit is also pleased that team changes will not be permitted after July 31 saying the new system is more in line with other sports.

“What Poole did at the end of the season didn’t look morally right and what Peterborough did in a bid to make the play-offs didn’t look right to me. Had they (Peterborough) have made the play-offs and then succeeded and did well, that wasn’t the team that had got them there and done well. We’re trying to make that fairer and other sports do it with transfer windows so I’m happy with that change.”

ok, good that at least they thought about the impact. But you could work out now a suitable conversion method, would take a couple of hours. Waiting until mid season is a recipe for manipulation.

Had anyone clarified what happens if someone has a season ending injury after July 31st??

For example, Swindon lose Doyle on 1st August next year - do they have to use r/r for rest of season??