British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Promotion/relegation.

It's been tried before and failed but really it is important to have a bridge between the leagues so that top of the Championsip swap with bottom of the Premier.

Having a playoff is fine, but if over two legs there will only be one outcome, as the Premier team is built ten points stronger.

Surely, the Championship team should be allowed to strengthen up to the same points limit as the Premier team, otherwise it will be a complete mockery of a playoff. Alternatively, the Championship team start with a 10 point advantage before the two legs.

Thoughts?

It's been tried before and failed but really it is important to have a bridge between the leagues so that top of the Championsip swap with bottom of the Premier.

Having a playoff is fine, but if over two legs there will only be one outcome, as the Premier team is built ten points stronger.

Surely, the Championship team should be allowed to strengthen up to the same points limit as the Premier team, otherwise it will be a complete mockery of a playoff. Alternatively, the Championship team start with a 10 point advantage before the two legs.

Thoughts?

I think a top Championship side will be just about equal to a bottom Premiership side by then.

• Like 2

The bottom PremGB will probably be so battered by then that averages won't matter!

In reality, what will actually decide who is promoted and relegated will be, as always, money.

With the best will in the world, if your business model shows that altering your cost base by moving into another scenario means that you will be financially unviable, then you would have to be seriously mentally challenged to even consider it.

Promotion and relegation might work in football where there are more clubs, more money and more spectators but we do not operate in that world.

I suspect that promotion/relegation will prove to be just about as gimmicky as green helmet covers and changing the names of things for no understandable reason.

Just my opinion, obviously.

:t:

• Like 3

I don't think the difference will be all that vast by the end of the season.

In the past, the successful PL sides have ended up with finishing averages of about 5-6 points higher than they started with.

Given the difference between the sides is only 10 points, I genuinely believe it could be closer than expected.

By the end of the season the Premiership side could be averaging about 49, whereas the Championship side could be approx 46.

• Like 2

Thoughts?

I may have missed it but I haven't seen anything that says there will be such a play off. I assumed the team that came bottom of Div1 would simply swap places with the team that came top/won the play offs of Div2.

Thoughts?

Like you said, been tried before and failed. Nothing will change.

• Like 1

I may have missed it but I haven't seen anything that says there will be such a play off. I assumed the team that came bottom of Div1 would simply swap places with the team that came top/won the play offs of Div2.

No, there is a top and bottom play-off.

Any major sport should have promotion and relegation.

However, we all know in speedway it's manufactured nonsense.

• Like 3

No, there is a top and bottom play-off.

We can look forward to Glasgow meeting Poole

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 5

Like you said, been tried before and failed. Nothing will change.

mind you people have been saying nothing will change for weeks now look how much things have changed at the agm matt has said in the local paper today he thinks there will be 1 or 2 more wanting to come up 2018 who knows

We can look forward to Glasgow meeting Poole

I'll have a ticket for that one!

mind you people have been saying nothing will change for weeks now look how much things have changed at the agm matt has said in the local paper today he thinks there will be 1 or 2 more wanting to come up 2018 who knows

Did he happen to say who these 1 or 2 will be?

:unsure:

Edited by Little Thumper

I'll have a ticket for that one!

Did he happen to say who these 1 or 2 will be?

:unsure:

afraid not

Any major sport should have promotion and relegation.

And yet the 3 sports leagues with the highest income in the World seem to manage just fine without it!
  • Like 2