British Speedway Forum

I will respectfully disagree with this. I dont think the problem is the venue. Cracking little Stadium, correct capacity size for current climate. 3 years there's been 3 superb GPs. 2015 the place went bonkers when Danes finished 1st & 3rd, same last year Niki made the final. This year its hardly a surprise there was much less local interest then years gone by. No Danes in top 5 let alone pushing for a medal spot. And after 2 races each the Danish riders had maybe 7 points between them. So again the atmosphere would have been lessened.

We cant judge all GPs by Cardiff's standard...

Not judging it on Cardiff, just what I expierienced and the locals i spoke with, i certainly had no qualms about the track or the stadium size. You maybe correct regarding fans losing interest after heat 8 as I never used the facilities until after then, but when i did go for a beer/toilet the same people were stood down there every time

Copenhagen is too far out of the way with most speedway clubs on the mainland. The venue and location isn't the problem and the racing has been excellent but they did get bigger attendances at Vojens but I think reason it was moved was the corporate hospitality available. I think the reason for empty seats this year is the downward spiral of Nicki Pedersen and Iversen etc.

The only reason I suggested Copenhagen was it seems most Danes can get there relatively easy, all roads and public transport lead there, and there would be no shortage of hotels, plus most flights go there from other country's. I had no choice but to fly back yesterday as if I'd booked a Sunday flight it was terribly risky if the weather was bad, which it was all Saturday until around 2pm. I know they didn't use to fill the 25000 stadium but still attracted more than was at Horsens and like I said if you stripped away the corporate and hangers on I suggest that was 40% of the crowd

To be honest I don't know what the solution is but possibly the Danes have lost their passion for speedway, they have a few small tracks which don't attract huge numbers so maybe the corporates are required to boost the figures,you may get a few additional Swedes if it was in Copenhagen

Trouble is the journey from Jutland,which is the main speedway area in Denmark to Zealand where Copenhagen is.Bit nervy and time consuming and possibly costly for the Danes.I know i done the journey and after the meeting stopped on the motorway to fill up with petrol and took about half an hour to pay because of the long queue...then the toll bridge.It wasn't a favourite with the Danish speedway fans

Not judging it on Cardiff, just what I expierienced and the locals i spoke with, i certainly had no qualms about the track or the stadium size. You maybe correct regarding fans losing interest after heat 8 as I never used the facilities until after then, but when i did go for a beer/toilet the same people were stood down there every time

The only reason I suggested Copenhagen was it seems most Danes can get there relatively easy, all roads and public transport lead there, and there would be no shortage of hotels, plus most flights go there from other country's. I had no choice but to fly back yesterday as if I'd booked a Sunday flight it was terribly risky if the weather was bad, which it was all Saturday until around 2pm. I know they didn't use to fill the 25000 stadium but still attracted more than was at Horsens and like I said if you stripped away the corporate and hangers on I suggest that was 40% of the crowd

To be honest I don't know what the solution is but possibly the Danes have lost their passion for speedway, they have a few small tracks which don't attract huge numbers so maybe the corporates are required to boost the figures,you may get a few additional Swedes if it was in Copenhagen

Opposite to that, last GP at Copenhagen in 2014 had reported attendance of around 13,000, the same year there was also a GP at Vojens which attendance was nearer 20,000. Danish speedway fans didn't like travelling to Copenhagen, the return bridge toll is expensive and hotels are very expensive, I think the corporate percentage there was a lot higher.

They seem to prefer the cheaper standing prices at Vojens. In regards standing at Horsens the 2 remaining standing areas were full, in previous years there has also been standing on back straight 2nd bend end but this year that been replaced by seats and most of them seats were empty!

Quick question about online viewing. At the SpeedwayGP web site, they have their GPTV (or whatever they call it) - basically a live youtube stream. I watched that all in years past; now this year it always says it hasn't been made available for viewing in my country (USA). So, in which countries is that stream available?

HB

Opposite to that, last GP at Copenhagen in 2014 had reported attendance of around 13,000, the same year there was also a GP at Vojens which attendance was nearer 20,000. Danish speedway fans didn't like travelling to Copenhagen, the return bridge toll is expensive and hotels are very expensive, I think the corporate percentage there was a lot higher.

They seem to prefer the cheaper standing prices at Vojens. In regards standing at Horsens the 2 remaining standing areas were full, in previous years there has also been standing on back straight 2nd bend end but this year that been replaced by seats and most of them seats were empty!

British fans don't particularly enjoy travelling to the outpost that is Cardiff , similarly all fans at the Warsaw GP have to travel from the speedway heartlands of Poland , hundreds of miles away but still both venues attract over 40 thousand. Similarly neither nation has had the abundance of World Champions that Denmark has but still the large attendances in both counties remain strong. Thats why they are the last 2 major markets in the GP series

Edited by New Science

Quick question about online viewing. At the SpeedwayGP web site, they have their GPTV (or whatever they call it) - basically a live youtube stream. I watched that all in years past; now this year it always says it hasn't been made available for viewing in my country (USA). So, in which countries is that stream available?

HB

The block on US viewers is a new one. How it works is that where there is a deal with a TV company in place for the meeting to be televised in a given country the 'feed' is then blocked in that country so obviously the major speedway nations are covered by that. Until recently it was clear in the US so some station somewhere over there must now be taking coverage.

British fans don't particularly enjoy travelling to the outpost that is Cardiff , similarly all fans at the Warsaw GP have to travel from the speedway heartlands of Poland , hundreds of miles away but still both venues attract over 40 thousand. Similarly neither nation has had the abundance of World Champions that Denmark has but still the large attendances in both counties remain strong. Thats why they are the last 2 major markets in the GP series

The Polish population is roughly 6-7 times bigger then the Danish population and the population of the UK is more then 10 times bigger then the Danish population.

The stream is available in Germany.Austria as well I think.Basically anywhere where the TV companies aren't showing it

• Like 1

HB

DIFFERENT link but it is available in the USA

The Polish population is roughly 6-7 times bigger then the Danish population and the population of the UK is more then 10 times bigger then the Danish population.

On that basis looking forward to seeing the biggest attendance of the GP season in Germany, with the largest population of all the countries holding a GP

And the NZ population....

Reading the Spar report from this I started to think that is it even possible in a 20 heat speedway meeting that all 16 riders win a heat?

Sorry, I dont have my thinking cap nor tools with me today and could not find my own anorak-thread... :lol:

Edited by f-s-p

Reading the Spar report from this I started to think that is it even possible in a 20 heat speedway meeting that all 16 riders win a heat?

Sorry, I dont have my thinking cap nor tools with me today and could not find my own anorak-thread... :lol:

Yes. In simple terms, if gate 1 wins every race, ever rider will win at least one race. Theres many combinations for it to happen.

Yes it is.

If one gate wins every race, say gate one, then every rider takes at least one ride from that gate

Yes. In simple terms, if gate 1 wins every race, ever rider will win at least one race. Theres many combinations for it to happen.

just realised i should have scrolled down before answering f-s-p post!

Yes it is.

If one gate wins every race, say gate one, then every rider takes at least one ride from that gate

just realised i should have scrolled down before answering f-s-p post!

But you doubled my chances of understanding the answer...