British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

What Are The Five Issues You Would Like Changed In British And World Speedway.?

If u are going that route then I think u need to have an 8 team elite league with 2 home 2 away matches. 3 Brits per team and in case of fixture clashes it has priority.

All EL teams also run either a 2nd tier or NL side. The 2nd tier would likely not have any GP riders though id still see a place for the likes of cook Harris etc. 4 Brits per side including 2 under 23 reserves

I am not keen on a little league not anough fixtures for me without GP riders we could be more flexible on what days we ride 2 fixtures every ten days would do for me.

I am not keen on a little league not anough fixtures for me without GP riders we could be more flexible on what days we ride 2 fixtures every ten days would do for me.

Get rid of the prats at the top. The BSPA.

Edited by Starman2006

Get rid of the prats at the top.

Who exactly are they? If you mean the promoters, then you'd be left with no sport, or maybe something on the lines of an occasional grasstrack.

Who exactly are they? If you mean the promoters, then you'd be left with no sport, or maybe something on the lines of an occasional grasstrack.

The management commitee.

• Like 1

What about a proper "elite" league, fixed race night, home meetings every fortnight. The alternative weeks each club tracks a National League team in order to provide weekly racing?

• Like 2

What about a proper "elite" league, fixed race night, home meetings every fortnight. The alternative weeks each club tracks a National League team in order to provide weekly racing?

If we can't afford 'Elite' riders, wouldn't it be rather pointless?

• Like 1

That's what should have been done many years ago. Instead, they weakened it year after year after year..

• Like 1

Yep that's what I was proposing above. Except they could have the option of running a 2nd tier side rather than an NL side.

Yep that's what I was proposing above. Except they could have the option of running a 2nd tier side rather than an NL side.

I think that would be a recipe for disaster. Reserve teams aren't well supported which is how the 2nd tier team would be viewed.

3./ One big league meaning more variety and fixtures.

I was always against this, it was done years and years ago to save the then British League and all that happened was the then National League clubs were shafted. But these days there is very little difference in league quality it could just work.

• Like 2

Need to bring in a set race night in my opinion.. but it would also have to work with other countries too.. but I think that format would be a lot better

I was always against this, it was done years and years ago to save the then British League and all that happened was the then National League clubs were shafted. But these days there is very little difference in league quality it could just work.

They would be shafted again. All the double up and down riders would ride at their current top league clubs and the lower division sides would be left with no riders.

• Like 2

They would be shafted again. All the double up and down riders would ride at their current top league clubs and the lower division sides would be left with no riders.

It does show that the gap between the two Leagues is getting much closer these days.

1. Someone with a brain and without a vested interest in a club to run the sport

If number 1 does not happen, forget 2,3,4 and 5

2. Two leagues. A top league with no GP riders and no riders that are going to miss meetings to ride in other leagues. A second tier of National League standard for proper juniors with one experienced rider / coach.

3. No doubling up. The sport is being run for mediocre riders who want to ride full time when they are performing in front of a few hundred fans. If riding for one team means that they have to get a job. Tough. This will return the sense of belonging to the fans and make it seem like what the sport should be - a team sport. Don't let the promoters tell you that there aren't enough riders to go round, this is a myth. There is plenty of untapped talent in countries where they do not have regular league racing - Austria, Germany, France, Netherlands etc.

4. An absolute ban on guests for anything other than when a team is missing two heat leaders. Allowing guests for reserves is a cop out for promoters who won't find their own talent. Seeing this in the National League when there are riders crying out for a team place breaks my heart.

5. Better presentation. I got some free tickets to the ice-hockey the other month and there was a delay in the start due to a partial lighting failure. The presentation and fan involvement was first class whereas the speedway presenter would have just put Now That's What I Call Music 35 on the cassette player and gone for a pint / fag.

Edited by tigerowl
  • Like 1

Only thing I would change is riders tape touching refs and regulations far too strict

Bring back roller Hancock circa 1990

Edited by rjsj9803