British Speedway Forum

We can but live in hope ;-)

Amen to that. When all hope has vanished, we can pack our bags (you can tell I'm a Bees supporter can't you? BTW one of those 10/12 in the league next year is Coventry, right?)

Amen to that. When all hope has vanished, we can pack our bags (you can tell I'm a Bees supporter can't you? BTW one of those 10/12 in the league next year is Coventry, right?)

Make that 11/13 Clubs as I miscalculated ;-)

Honestly and as a supporter of Speedway since 1970 in my mid teems. I would love to see Coventry back but as a viable club with sensible Promoters/owners running in a decent stadium. It was a sad loss to see them go as they did and indicative of what's been going on in the Sport for some time.

I have fond memories of their visit to the likes of Hackney/White City/Ipswich and Poole over the last 47 years. More recent years the Poole v Coventry fixture was a real grudge fixture for some but in a good way.

Lets really hope we see them again soon one day. Speedway needs it what I would call good traditional clubs with long histories. I have seen too many go over the years incl London Clubs I used to visit for years such as Hackney/White City/West Ham/Wimbledon.

Some have got used to success over recent years. You should have tried to be a Hackney supporter in First Div - Years on no success but always good races seeing genuine WW stars of the era. Only when they dropped a div and became Hackney Kestrels did we finally see a Champ and Cup win. Unfortunately the Hawks while much loved never managed it :-(

If Jack Holder returns then Chris has to come to. Noddy needs to guide Jack along at Poole imo.

Brady, Jack H, C. Holder, Ellis, Woryna & Shanes and one other. Hans or Magic?

If Jack Holder returns then Chris has to come to. Noddy needs to guide Jack along at Poole imo.

I am still a big Chris Holder fan.

He has had a difficult couple of years but showed that with engines working properly he can still perform as in the last GP. I think at just over 7 points GSA he is well worth being back on his ritual home track.

I think its been a strange old year for a lot of the top riders. Too many of the top guys have had engine tuning problems with lots having inconsistent meetings around Europe. There was talk about Johns having tuning issues with engines he produced due to a spares issue on a particular part if I remember form earlier this season. For sure Chris has had issues finding the right set up.

Look at how Zagar has suddenly turned things around the last month or so having finally got the right set up.

It shows that when you have the right equipment i.e just look at Holder Jr performances on Hancock engine when riding for Torun as Hancock was crocked for the season.

If Chris can get his engines sorted and tuned properly then that 7.16 av may look a bargain. Especially if it also allows Matt Ford to sign a Janowski or Milik on top. Or even as you say Hans Andersen.

Again and I keep beating on about it. That points limit has a big bearing I think on Matts plans as I am sure he would want it as high as possible.

I would love to see Coventry back but as a viable club with sensible Promoters/owners running in a decent stadium.

You DO want a lot don't you? :t:

• Like 1

You DO want a lot don't you? :t:

Yes but none of us want another abortion of a situation like the last mess.

Better to not have then to have a half hearted stab at it.

Still we can all dream of what we would like to see. Same with my views on Poole 2018 ;-)

If anyone's got this week's Speedway Star read the piece about Swedish speedway in the International section. I know British speedway has its issues but Elit Vetlanda - the league winners - and Piraterna have got serious financial problems requiring bale-outs from wherever including local councils.

It is being suggested that their 'top' clubs will have to severely cut their outgoings if they are to run next year. Vetlanda's website reporting that they are cutting their rider budget substantially for next season if they are to run. (Lets not forget that this is at least the 2nd season that some riders in Sweden have not been paid everything they are owed!!)

Logically this could well mean several of the 'top' riders looking elsewhere (SGBP?) for a team place, so the SGBP promoters could well find themselves with a lot more choice of riders, on the back of the Polish rumours that they will lessen their rider restrictions if the SGBP goes fixed racenights!!

Obviously SGBP clubs will have to be able to afford it and there will be some clubs in a better position than others to do that!! :-)

(I wonder if that's a topic of conversation for Greg Hancock at Glasgow last night?!) ;-)

Edited by Skidder1

If anyone's got this week's Speedway Star read the piece about Swedish speedway in the International section. I know British speedway has its issues but Elit Vetlanda - the league winners - and Piraterna have got serious financial problems requiring bale-outs from wherever including local councils.

It is being suggested that their 'top' clubs will have to severely cut their outgoings if they are to run next year. Vetlanda's website reporting that they are cutting their rider budget substantially for next season if they are to run. (Lets not forget that this is at least the 2nd season that some riders in Sweden have not been paid everything they are owed!!)

Logically this could well mean several of the 'top' riders looking elsewhere (SGBP?) for a team place, so the SGBP promoters could well find themselves with a lot more choice of riders, on the back of the Polish rumours that they will lessen their rider restrictions if the SGBP goes fixed racenights!!

Obviously SGBP clubs will have to be able to afford it and there will be some clubs in a better position than others to do that!! :-)

(I wonder if that's a topic of conversation for Greg Hancock at Glasgow tonight?!) ;-)

Thought that was last night as Glasgow lost at home to Ipswich.

Maybe staying on the South Coast today as a guest of Matt. You never know but that's just my mischievous mind playing games ;-)

Interesting about the Swedes though as plenty of the top boys (In fact most of the SGB riders) ride there.

Thought that was last night as Glasgow lost at home to Ipswich.

Maybe staying on the South Coast today as a guest of Matt. You never know but that's just my mischievous mind playing games ;-)

Interesting about the Swedes though as plenty of the top boys (In fact most of the SGB riders) ride there.

Is that possibly the problem. The top riders are pricing themselves out of a job as fewer and fewer clubs can meet the salary expectations and surely the sport is bigger than the individuals. The clubs have to cut their cloth accordingly and one can only hope that British speedway does not shoot itself in the foot by offering silly money to attract the top names given the fallen attendances. Not so sure that a big name would put enough on the gate to make it worth while unless external sponsors are prepared to throw some cash into the pot. One can only hope that common sense will prevail.

• Like 2

hi Gater1..... sorry Poole Pirates Fanatic.... sorry I can't keep up!
  • Like 1

Is that possibly the problem. The top riders are pricing themselves out of a job as fewer and fewer clubs can meet the salary expectations and surely the sport is bigger than the individuals. The clubs have to cut their cloth accordingly and one can only hope that British speedway does not shoot itself in the foot by offering silly money to attract the top names given the fallen attendances. Not so sure that a big name would put enough on the gate to make it worth while unless external sponsors are prepared to throw some cash into the pot. One can only hope that common sense will prevail.

Unfortunately this is where we get into the haves and have nots.

For sure clubs like Poole will be able to attract some decent names as Ford has always been good on the sponsorship side. For me (and as a Poole supporter) I would like to see some top riders in this Country and if a team can make it fit within the points limit should it not be individual choice ??.

Ultimately a team has say 42 or 45 points meaning if they sign a top rider (IF they secure the backing or can afford it) then the points for that rider will mean possibly weaker elsewhere. I believe in live and let live. Hardly call some of what's been going on this season a raging success.

Its all about opinion of course. I just don't think those clubs who want to bring the top riders to UK should be punished or made outcasts.

Sweden perhaps an accident waiting to happen. Too many of the top riders on the back of unworkable crowds (from what I have seen on TV). Also if their sponsorship deals are not great hardly surprising the problems with no points limit and must have 2 Swedes per team. It catches up with you. But having some of the top riders in UK is surely one for the individual Promoters/owners to decide if their budgets make it work.

Having 1/2 in teams is not the same as having 5 wage busters per team.

Unfortunately this is where we get into the haves and have nots.

For sure clubs like Poole will be able to attract some decent names as Ford has always been good on the sponsorship side. For me (and as a Poole supporter) I would like to see some top riders in this Country and if a team can make it fit within the points limit should it not be individual choice ??.

Ultimately a team has say 42 or 45 points meaning if they sign a top rider (IF they secure the backing or can afford it) then the points for that rider will mean possibly weaker elsewhere. I believe in live and let live. Hardly call some of what's been going on this season a raging success.

Its all about opinion of course. I just don't think those clubs who want to bring the top riders to UK should be punished or made outcasts.

Sweden perhaps an accident waiting to happen. Too many of the top riders on the back of unworkable crowds (from what I have seen on TV). Also if their sponsorship deals are not great hardly surprising the problems with no points limit and must have 2 Swedes per team. It catches up with you. But having some of the top riders in UK is surely one for the individual Promoters/owners to decide if their budgets make it work.

Having 1/2 in teams is not the same as having 5 wage busters per team.

Maybe if Sweden a car crash waiting to happen then perhaps Janowski and Milik for Poole 2018 not so stupid an idea ;-)

Sweden is going so badly. That's now 3 teams in last 2 years to go wrong. There main problem is there teams earn less than ours through sponsorship. Could see Magic and Milik back, could see Lindback if we don't get those guys.

Would people have Hans back next year. I change my mind about this topic every week. Lovely guy and a good captain and been there and done that everywhere!

But then also is slowly getting worse and worse. But at a slow rate, and is just a solid rider on a 7.5 ish average.

If it's a choice of Magic/Holder/Milik then it's a no brainer! But with the points limits unknown I'm not sure.

For me Hans is all based on the overall points building! If it's high then give him a big send off.

If it's low then bring him back at Captain and see if he can finally get his hands on the trophy!

Swedish Speedway was always going to go down the drain.

When i've watched Swedish speedway in the past and seen the attendances at meeting's I've always asked myself how clubs can afford top quality line-ups.

Think some boys will come back to Britain now. Obviously not riders like Dudek, Emil & Zmarzlik.

But riders like Kildemand, Iversen, Zagar.

I can't see many GP riders wanting to come to UK unless we have fixed days for racing.

I can't see many GP riders wanting to come to UK unless we have fixed days for racing.

. Monday Thursday Buster confirmed on Wednesday at Lynn. I think the FIM or someone is now validating that and then we will be good to go.

Vetlanda have already stated they will have to get rid of the GP riders.

Swedish Pirates= NKI will be back in the UK lives here and no gp next year.

Can't see Dudek, Emil, Zmarlik over here. But the rest have all stated interest.

We still haven't found out the rider who Matt offered biggest contact in Poole history to replace KK. Could have been Dudek or magic. We don't know

Edited by poolebolton
  • Like 1