British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Time To Crack Down On The Aussies?

I wonder if there is a thread on an Australian speedway forum along the lines of "Time to stop wasting our time in the UK"?

I hope there is. We don't need these time wasters that only want to use British speedway for a ticket to race in Poland.

Are you saying that without the British leagues, Australian speedway would peter out?

Over time yes it would, look what's happened to the American's when we brought in average restrictions for none commonwealth.

Time to do the same for all none European

• Like 1

Got to love these Aussies. Rory Schlein on Twitter

Never again bang the 4s up your ass.

Is this the same Aussie who was happy to accept a British license and ride in the British final?

• Like 1

Over time yes it would, look what's happened to the American's when we brought in average restrictions for none commonwealth.

Time to do the same for all none European

And do you think British speedway is better for the absence of anericans/Australians/kiwis.

Personally I think it would have been poorer if the likes of Penh all, Morals, Ward etc had not graced these shores. OK england/Britain might have had more success on the world stage, but our domestic league and world speedway would have been much poorer for it.

And do you think British speedway is better for the absence of anericans/Australians/kiwis.

Personally I think it would have been poorer if the likes of Penh all, Morals, Ward etc had not graced these shores. OK england/Britain might have had more success on the world stage, but our domestic league and world speedway would have been much poorer for it.

I agree it would be poorer without the colour Aussies (used to be said about the American's, but I don't think anyone can call Hancock colourful). The point is, we have to stop overseas riders using British Speedway and start getting tougher.

Edited by TheReturn

uk martin, on 07 Aug 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

Are you saying that without the British leagues, Australian speedway would peter out?

Perhaps you could answer the original question?

I sort of agree and don't agree with the way Chapman handed the Aussies their notice. If they are using the UK merely for Visa purposes, then in a round about way British speedway has shown that it has the clout to call the tune. Why has it waited so long? Fixtures and the days track can race are heavily dictated by foreign fixtures. Teams are often reliant on guest because of this, aren't they? I could be wrong.

Holder, especially, seems the type who thinks speedway owes him a living. Remember that motorcross accident he had a few years back, when he was injured. He showed not much remorse that it cost Poole his services ("I've got a life outside speedway," sort of comment). A lot of them really must feel the sport is there for their enjoyment.

Surely the amount of fixtures British clubs put on nowadays is restricted by riders' foreign jaunts.... and then what about injuries? Off the top of my head, how many riders have missed matches over here, costing their lives and careers even, because of matches in other leagues?

It all adds up, making Britain look the weak joint... and keeps other countries booming.

I bet, just a rough figure, teams over here have lost about 20% off their diary through foreign leagues and the like since the mid-90s.

Time to clamp down....

Edited by moxey63

In football terms, the UK is the Championship and Poland is the Premier League. My local team Oxford Utd, may bring in some young foreign player that turns out to be very good. I am under no illusions that he will not move to a Premier League team if they make an offer. That doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy the time that he played for Oxford. In every sport, he who pays the most money calls the tune. At the moment, the UK is a training ground for riders to get good enough to chase the big money. It will continue to be so until UK speedway's fortunes improve or the Polish bubble bursts. Banning Aussies because they will eventually leave is just cutting off our nose to spite our face.

• Like 1

AlanF spot on. There is little to Zero loyalty in all sports these days.

Now it's a tough one this as British Speedway is a disorganized shambles. With the luxury we have of seeing Polish/Swedish leagues via YouTube etc it is so much of a slicker operation then British league. Better tracks, stadium, crowd size, regular race nights, better standard of rider. Not difficult to see why the riders prefer it and compare UK negatively in comparison.

HOWEVER, the constant moaning/criticizing has got beyond a joke now. If it's really that bad they should just clear off. To be fair to some, they've done that and just turned their back on UK league. Those who moan all the time shouldn't be allowed to ride in the league. I dont think many people would keep their job if they continuously bashed the company in public! Holder and Batch simply just got give a big slice of be careful what you wish for. They had it coming surprised they are complaining tbh

What I would say, you cant tar all the Aussies with the same brush. A lot have been superb club men and servants to British Speedway over the years.

Edited by RPNYC
  • Like 1

Nobody is saying ban anybody, providing they commit to racing UK as their first priority.

In football terms, the UK is the Championship and Poland is the Premier League. My local team Oxford Utd, may bring in some young foreign player that turns out to be very good. I am under no illusions that he will not move to a Premier League team if they make an offer. That doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy the time that he played for Oxford. In every sport, he who pays the most money calls the tune. At the moment, the UK is a training ground for riders to get good enough to chase the big money. It will continue to be so until UK speedway's fortunes improve or the Polish bubble bursts. Banning Aussies because they will eventually leave is just cutting off our nose to spite our face.

A lot of GB and foreign riders riding in Poland will tell about the burst bubble when it came to getting paid

Nobody is saying ban anybody, providing they commit to racing UK as their first priority.

A lot of GB and foreign riders riding in Poland will tell about the burst bubble when it came to getting paid

The issue with that is:

1. Committing to racing in the UK means being available 7 race nights a week, compared to 1 in any other European league

2.have you seen the whinging about the poles doing this?

Weird thing about this thread and the Holder/Kings Lynn situation is I am amazed that so many British speedway fans (mainly Poole fans) think British Speedway automatically owes these Aussies a living and we should ignore it when they mess British speedway around.

• Like 1

The issue with that is:

1. Committing to racing in the UK means being available 7 race nights a week, compared to 1 in any other European league

2.have you seen the whinging about the poles doing this?

A bit of exaggeration about number times per week,while clubs have different race nights riders on average only race on 2 nights in any given week perhaps 3 if the team is on " Tour" which is infrequent these days.You know fine that 1 race night in Gb will never happen given the situation regarding Stadiums,the riders who want to ride also know that fact, so the ball is in their court.Speedway is a shambles in GB.Dont think it will be solved by the present people running the sport.That has been said for years now though.! Not sure what you mean by no2

A bit of exaggeration about number times per week,while clubs have different race nights riders on average only race on 2 nights in any given week perhaps 3 if the team is on " Tour" which is infrequent these days.You know fine that 1 race night in Gb will never happen given the situation regarding Stadiums,the riders who want to ride also know that fact, so the ball is in their court.Speedway is a shambles in GB.Dont think it will be solved by the present people running the sport.That has been said for years now though.! Not sure what you mean by no2

Yes riders ride only two nights a week in the uk. But that could be a Monday and Wednesday one week, a Thursday and Saturday the next a Tuesday and Sunday the one after. Therefore by committing to make the uk a priority they would be unable to ride in an overseas league without the probability that at some time they would have a clash of fixtures.

Point 2 referred to the complaints of unfairness and illegality when the poles requested riders sign a contract giving priority to their club

Yes riders ride only two nights a week in the uk. But that could be a Monday and Wednesday one week, a Thursday and Saturday the next a Tuesday and Sunday the one after. Therefore by committing to make the uk a priority they would be unable to ride in an overseas league without the probability that at some time they would have a clash of fixtures.

Point 2 referred to the complaints of unfairness and illegality when the poles requested riders sign a contract giving priority to their club

Bottom line for me is I only want to see riders committed to the sport UK ,I know that's not everybodies" cup of tea" but that's my opinion on how to revive the sport if that's possible in Uk.