British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Belle Vue V Leicester Friday 25th August

Had my biggest laugh for ages - although to see a certain Mr cook in speedway GP in 2018 will be far more amusing - he mentions about himself striving being to a world champ - maybe one day - snakes and ladders, tiddly winks possibly. Time for his parents and those close to him to be realistic with him. At least with Carl Stonehewer back in the day, he recognised his own potential without being a prick about it.

• Like 1

Crack result

Brilliant meeting though racing wide. Best of the season.

Heat 13 was a cracker.

In all seriousness, I said to my wife after about heat 2, "I wish we were at BV tonight". I just had a strange feeling that this was going to be a cracker and that Leicester were going to produce a surprise. Danny King and Josh Bates were at their best. Kim Nilsson was below par. Considering those facts and Leicester ran RR for Pawel, you could have expected a home win. But that didn't allow for Lasse having his best meeting of the year, bar none. His 3 paid 4 from his first two rides were par for the course. 4 straight wins after that were exceptional by anyone's standards. Paid 16 deserves praise indeed.

Any chance Max Fricke will be back for playoffs? Without him BV chances are close to 0.

Had my biggest laugh for ages - although to see a certain Mr cook in speedway GP in 2018 will be far more amusing - he mentions about himself striving being to a world champ - maybe one day - snakes and ladders, tiddly winks possibly. Time for his parents and those close to him to be realistic with him. At least with Carl Stonehewer back in the day, he recognised his own potential without being a prick about it.

So are riders not allowed a bad meeting when they could potentially be a GP rider. I'll remember this for when a GP rider has a bad meeting. And I'll wait to see what u say about it

In all seriousness, I said to my wife after about heat 2, "I wish we were at BV tonight". I just had a strange feeling that this was going to be a cracker and that Leicester were going to produce a surprise. Danny King and Josh Bates were at their best. Kim Nilsson was below par. Considering those facts and Leicester ran RR for Pawel, you could have expected a home win. But that didn't allow for Lasse having his best meeting of the year, bar none. His 3 paid 4 from his first two rides were par for the course. 4 straight wins after that were exceptional by anyone's standards. Paid 16 deserves praise indeed.

You shouldb have come. You'd have had a blast. Baby bjerre was brilliant for you. Whether It be FTG or from the back

Any chance Max Fricke will be back for playoffs? Without him BV chances are close to 0.

He should be back with any luck

Baby bjerre was brilliant for you.

That's a big leap. "For you" suggests I'm a Leicester fan. Nigel would turn in his grave.

In the 70's when I couldn't get home to Brandon every week, I was able to get to Blackbird Road. I did, of course, always shout for the opposition.

Leicester are the auld enemy.

But I am a proper speedway fan. Be it National League or the Ekstraliga I enjoy a good race between committed competitors.

Leicester deserved their win tonight. BV are a first class side but they had an off night and Leicester were at their best. The joy of the unpredictable eh? (unless one foresaw what was going to happen!)

That's another reason why I hate the play offs.

You either get teams at the beginning of the year mucking about to bolster the team or teams testing (copy write Leigh Adams) at the end. Arrrgg!

Why bother putting out a track that's difficult to pass on save for the inside when you're due at Wolves a few days later? You can practice white lining there.

• Like 1

That's another reason why I hate the play offs.

You either get teams at the beginning of the year mucking about to bolster the team or teams testing (copy write Leigh Adams) at the end. Arrrgg!

Why bother putting out a track that's difficult to pass on save for the inside when you're due at Wolves a few days later? You can practice white lining there.

Oo, I think you should talk to Poole and how they guaranteed a victory over our Bees in the play off finals a while back.

The fireworks and champagne were quite memorable.

• Like 2

Well done Leicester , deserved win.

Some great racing as well , possibly some of the best I've seen at NSS , Tungate was on fire as was Lasse Bjerre

The general consensus is BV don't have a home track advantage because the track is so fair .

But how can riders like Bjerre jnr just turn up for their first ever meeting there and look so much faster than home riders ?

It's people like you I don't understand. It's as if you take great pride in seeing British riders fail. Ever thought of supporting British riders instead of having a dig at every opportunity.

Nothing wrong with showing a bit of ambition, what would you rather he said, I'd like to just double up in Britain and just be another average speedway rider.

Edited by Mr Blobby
  • Like 3

Deserved win for Leicester.

Belle Vue were exposed at reserve without Dan.....

We needed good scores from all of our top 4 and it did not happen.

Leicester were on fire at the starting gate and produced some great team riding to hold the Aces back.

It won't just be the reserve races they win, Our reserves will pick up far fewer points than theirs in their other rides. We could be in trouble if any of our top 4 have an off night, they are going to have to score about 42 points between them. I think they will but it's not going to be easy.

Leicester deserved their win, they were faster from the gate and baby Bjerre was superb. They showed a determination to win.

I was right in that their reserves scored 12 to our 3 and Bjerre and to a lesser extent Worrall and Cook had poor nights. Tungate was excellent. Our team was built on a strong 1-5. We have done well because Bewley has improved so much but without him and using r/r we couldn't afford for anyone to have a bad night.

Congratulations to the Lions.

Well done Leicester cant begrudge them their deserved win considering the bad luck they have had this season. We were never going to win this one given the shortfall at reserve and the main body of the side showing inconsistency, with our home form I cant see us beating any side over two legs come play off time. This meeting highlighted how important the reserve positions are.

• Like 1

But how can riders like Bjerre jnr just turn up for their first ever meeting there and look so much faster than home riders ?

Hey, I'm a student of averages and statistics. Mr Shovlar and others have accused me of predicting the future based on past form. A dubious attempt at best, in their opinion.

But sometimes the numbers don't lie. Yes, there are still no guarantees, but they do indicate a likely outcome. Given a big enough sample, the statistical significance of a set of numbers will give us a likely outcome. My "off the cuff" prediction tonight was no such thing. The numbers suggested such a result could happen and that, actually, it was overdue. It still may not have happened and I could have said nothing and hoped no one noticed. But check the records. I haven't made many predictions and especially one so outlandish. I'm cock-a-hoop Leicester pulled off the win but it was on the cards. Trust me, my daughter's a doctor.

Congratulations to Leicester on their win tonight, thoroughly deserved. No excuses, better team won.

Edited by mikec

Two factors in the Aces defeat : poor reserves and poor gating. 3 points against 12 tells its own story and shows just how important Bewley is to Belle Vue. To be fair to Aarnio, I thought he bust a gut in every race.

The Aces were beaten off the grid time after time and you just can't let that happen at this level.

For me, the meeting turned at heat 10 when the younger Bjerre and King got a 5-1 over the older Bjerre and Cook - largely thanks to King's brilliant blocking of the Aces riders. Rarely will you see a team ride of such quality.

Having said all that, there was some fantastic racing and, for a neutral (or a Leicester fan), it would have been an excellent night out. A quick word for Tungate, because I don't think anyone rides NSS like he does.

So are riders not allowed a bad meeting when they could potentially be a GP rider. I'll remember this for when a GP rider has a bad meeting. And I'll wait to see what u say about it

You shouldb have come. You'd have had a blast. Baby bjerre was brilliant for you. Whether It be FTG or from the back

He should be back with any luck

I don't like his crowing but he has a point. Its anything but the first time that Cook has been indifferent (poor would be harsh) at home this season and being beaten by riders who are nothing like world class on your home track does not augur well for a season at top level in 2018.

• Like 1