British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aces51

Premiership Riders Final, Belle Vue, 16 September, 2017

Even worse then. I just took Workington score and adjusted it! You'd have lost 47-42

What about TJ's points?

Has he not got a 10.85 average from his last 3 home matches?

• Like 1

BLRC Belle Vue, Saturday Night 1967 - Attendance 20,000

50 years later...

PLRC Belle Vue, Saturday Night 2017 - Attendance fewer than 2,000

Time to scrap this now meaningless meeting.

You could draw the same conclusion if you compared any other type of meeting, league, cup and individual using the same time frame. Using the logic of your argument it is time to scrap speedway.

Speedway has to reinvent itself as a credible sport and in such a way as to increase the fan base. I doubt we shall ever again have the crowds we had in the late forties or the 70's, there are now many more options for the leisure pound. However, with the right leadership I see no reason why it can't grow significantly from the current levels.

• Like 3

You could draw the same conclusion if you compared any other type of meeting, league, cup and individual using the same time frame. Using the logic of your argument it is time to scrap speedway.

Speedway has to reinvent itself as a credible sport and in such a way as to increase the fan base. I doubt we shall ever again have the crowds we had in the late forties or the 70's, there are now many more options for the leisure pound. However, with the right leadership I see no reason why it can't grow significantly from the current levels.

I sincerely hope that this is possible, but does the "right leadership" exist within the BSPA - I fear not as their track record is abysmal on promoting speedway as a credible sport. The decline in support has reached critical levels, not just at Workington. Why would new supporters stay after witnessing 15 mins of on track action - with only four or five of them of real interest or excitement. And all presented in an often shambolic, amateur fashion.

It might have lost it's prestige to us fans. But for once all but 1 rider showed up

Was only referring to this particular meeting which has completely lost the prestige it once had.

It is still a meeting with the best riders in British Speedway and fans deserve to see them against each other.In the Hyde Road days it was the best in British Speedway but was full of the best riders in the WORLD.We will never see meetings like that again in GB.NSS is a fantastic track and all National Meetings should be held there IMO.

It is still a meeting with the best riders in British Speedway and fans deserve to see them against each other.In the Hyde Road days it was the best in British Speedway but was full of the best riders in the WORLD.We will never see meetings like that again in GB.NSS is a fantastic track and all National Meetings should be held there IMO.

Used to go to the Riders Finals at Hyde Road many years ago - was a long drive from my Lincolnshire home but would be even further now I am living further south so I don't go - looked forward to it each year. Also went to Wimbledon for the lower leagues final each season. It seems to me totally ridiculous to hold it up north at the NSS in Manchester looking at where the rest of the teams in the Premier league are situated - would make sense to hold the Championship Riders final there for travelling for fans from all the northern tracks in that league with only ourselves(Panthers) and Ipswich based down south. Would have thought a bigger crowd would be in attendance if the Prem Riders final was held further south seeing as most of the clubs are based down there - travel is much more expensive these days and people are more resistant to it.

Edited by maneacat

Yeah, why hold it at by far the best racetrack in the country?

I can't give an opinion on that as not been yet but if the punters are not attending surely there is another reason if as you say it's by far the best. Would have thought this meeting was put on to attract as many fans as possible - clearly that did not happen

Edited by maneacat
  • Like 1

Anyone who missed Saturday , missed a brilliant meeting.

Sadly the number of riders dropping out at the last minute has put people off.

I remember going to Swindon only to find. 3 top riders had pulled out and a lot of brassed off people vowing not to go next year.

This damage needs to be repaired.

There can be no doubt, the NSS is the best track in the country.

Unfortunately the sport is so damaged that it will take a while to turn things around but if they keep delivering meetings like that with Friday/Saturday night speedway then crowds will improve.

Does anyone know the pay rates offered ( and paid ) on Sat. night? If it was not vastly better than for the Fours at Peterboro I am amazed at how many top riders they attracted. Shared BSPA events no longer have the prestige they once had within a sport, which has shrunk dramatically.

The Cardiff round of the GP is the only place we will ever see such a world class lineup again in the UK.

• Like 1

For me Josh Auty was the rider of the night ,despite being knocked off by a crazy aussie .He would have qualified for the race off if he had not suffered a engine failure.A great night for Josh he never gives up i miss him riding for Sheffield he was great to watch round there .But a great meeting last night well done Fast Freddie .

I am a big fan of Auty and i hope now he can get a place in the Prem in 2018.Belle Vue could be a great home track for him remember him riding very well in the 2016 British Final whatever he scores he races and gives everything that is all we can ask.