British Speedway Forum
Theboss

In My View By Phil Rising

For what its worth, back in 2001/02 when Tony Rickardsson rode for Poole, he was on a basic of £180 per point. And then there were the add-ons..........!!

Incidentally how many clubs have actually closed down in the recent past through losing money? rather than any other reasons eg track availability etc?

Reading would have needed a new Promoter even if the stadium didn`t close- as Legg was out !!!

No way can a plumber earn £1000. But let's assume you're right. This young rider does speedway because he loves it, that's nice. I watch speedway becuase I love it, I spend hours a week updating speedway-stats.co.uk because I enjoy it, I spend my weekends taking apart and rebuilding cars because I love it. Do you know what those 3 hobbies earn me? Nothing. In fact between the three of them they cost me a damn fortune. Be it he petrol and entrance fee for speedway, or the Sky and BT sport subscription. Then there's the £12 a month I pay for hosting speedway-stats (not a lot really but it's still a cost) or the frankly £1000s a year I spend on cars.

If these riders love it, why the need to milk the sport for every penny?

While speedway riders think they're capable of earning 52k a year in another job they're going to moan they're underpaid. News flash, the average person in the U.K earns 26k.

..the dreaded average again!

NO doubt Wayne Rooney loves his job but he still wants £300,000 a week to do it.

Wayne is in a job that can afford his wages

Why are speedway fans so obsessed with what a rider earns ?

I don't care what a plumber, footballer, doctor, actor or anyone who posts on here earns. If you enjoy the sport, watch it. If you feel you're not getting your moneys worth, don't go.

It's down to the promotors to make it work, that's their business.

• Like 3

SCB

I'm not a plumber but I know plenty, most take more than £1K home. Admittedly the market is getting flooded with them ( no pun intended ) nowadays. But experienced plumbers in Oxfordshire are on bloody good money

Sparkies and plumbers I flatted with in London were earning close to or more than a grand a week, and that's nearly 15 years ago!

Sparkies and plumbers I flatted with in London were earning close to or more than a grand a week, and that's nearly 15 years ago!

...far better learning a trade than going to University picking up a degree on the bleeding obvious...or the dreaded media studies. I work with many who have degrees but barely earning more than the minimum wage...never mind living wage but as Steve Shovlar states on another thread they could always clean toilets (something I've done incidentally) as apparently there are plenty of those jobs available!

Edited by steve roberts

...far better learning a trade than going to University picking up a degree on the bleeding obvious...or the dreaded media studies. I work with many who have degrees but barely earning more than the minimum wage...never mind living wage but as Steve Shovlar states on another thread they could always clean toilets (something I've done incidentally) as apparently there are plenty of those jobs available!

Just read a recent poll taken (2,000 students) that apparently one in four people regret having gone to University landing them with huge debts.

Others said that University was a waste of time and had wished that they had chosen their degree more carefully.

Two-thirds said their degrees were pointless and had not helped them land a job after graduating.

One in three said prospective employers did not even ask about their degree in interviews.

Fashion, drama and media studies were voted most pointless degrees.

Just under 50 per cent of those who were working said they could have got the job without a university education by starting as a trainee or apprentice.

Edited by steve roberts

Just read a recent poll taken (2,000 students) that apparently one in four people regret having gone to University landing them with huge debts.

Others said that University was a waste of time and had wished that they had chosen their degree more carefully.

Two-thirds said their degrees were pointless and had not helped them land a job after graduating.

One in three said prospective employers did not even ask about their degree in interviews.

Fashion, drama and media studies were voted most pointless degrees.

Just under 50 per cent of those who were working said they could have got the job without a university education by starting as a trainee or apprentice.

Exactly right! My local university is famed for 'peace studies' FFS. I was an apprentice engineer and there was plenty of work in those days, these days we are too reliant on service industries to take up the unemployed.

• Like 3

It would be interesting to see the survey results of 30-40 year-old non-graduates, asking how many regret not going to university.

It would be interesting to see the survey results of 30-40 year-old non-graduates, asking how many regret not going to university.

I'm one who didn't, no regrets at all.

There was & is graduates at my workplace of similar age & older earning less than me.

There's such a high turnover of graduates every year the percentage ending up unemployed & taking low paid jobs will increase.

• Like 3

...I'm in my fifties and don't regret for one minute not going to University.

Having worked in a University Department for 17 years I saw the process first hand.

• Like 2

My step son went to university graduated the lot then got a job at JCB doing something completely different. Only university you need is the university of life

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

Having worked in a University Department for 17 years I saw the process first hand.

So you don't think studying the right degree would have opened up more opportunities?

I am in my Seventies.

I never attended Universiity and have never, ever regretted the fact.

My Son, however, did attend University and genuinely wishes he hadn't. He feels that he would have done better to get a job straight from School. I must say that I probably agree with him.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 2