Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, erniew said:

Steve, do you not think the paying customers have a right to be concerned? We are supporters first and foremost but time is now very short, not only to P & P but the actual start of competitive racing, and your constant 'It'll be alright' attitude is getting a little irritating. If you know what's happening then please pass on the information, we don't need to know chapter and verse, but confirmation that there are riders in the frame would be helpful, If you in fact have no information then stop telling everyone that It's going to be allright and stop telling us to be quiet

Firstly, I have never told people "to be quiet."  This is an open forum and people are entitled to their opinion, that will never change.

Secondly, I have as much idea as to what is happening as you and, I presume, most fans, but, I would still say "be patient," as I would rather think positively, rather than negatively. If that's "irritating," then sorry, but that's just tough, because I think everything will be alright and that's my opinion/hope.

Just to add, I am as frustrated as most fans seem to be.  I am a fan too, at the end of the day.

Edited by StevePark
To add last paragrapg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ch958 said:

customers/fans have a right to be informed when there is something to impart.

Would you like an hour by hour update on phone calls, etc. Negotiations are often very delicate and sometimes you have to be discrete. For example, if a rider thinks Newcastle are desperate his demands may increase beyond affordability. I think its reasonable that information is on a need to know basis at the moment

I agree with your sentiments. if there was a regular 'nothing to report' I know the promotion would get called for doing it. I don't know the difficulties they have, whether it is pay demands, non availability,  visa, etc, but I do know that if they could report something they would. No point in saying too much, and then regretting it and being criticised for doing so.   At the end of the day, our first official meeting is on Thursday 5th April so there is time yet. I think the team would take the usual 3 working days clearance by the BSPA, so the remaining members need to have been signed before the 2nd April.  A guest for the Berwick meetings, and then followed by the U21 Semi at home, gives us a bit of time to get it right whatever the delay is for. I have heard of a possible 2 rider combination, but I don't think there would be any difficulties in signing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ch958 said:

customers/fans have a right to be informed when there is something to impart.

Would you like an hour by hour update on phone calls, etc. Negotiations are often very delicate and sometimes you have to be discrete. For example, if a rider thinks Newcastle are desperate his demands may increase beyond affordability. I think its reasonable that information is on a need to know basis at the moment

No body is asking for an hour by hour update. All fans ask for is a bit more information. If it is a case of maye a rider waiting for a visa which could be completely wide of the mark why don't the promotion say. Other supporters I've spoken to are genuinely starting to get a bit fed up and concerned and rightly so in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the response Steve, I apologise, you have never said shut up, however I seem to have triggered a response from a few people and hopefully more positive information will be available in the very near future. It's true as Tsunami said, our first competitive fixture is 5th April, but the longer it goes without signing riders gives them less time to practice on our 'technical' track and work out setups.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps it was a puncuation error and was actually meant to be within 34 days.... ;)

Still plenty of time - if the weather of late  carries on it might be May before the season gets going!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Possibly,,, but there's only 7 to 8 days till p+p now, so folk wont have long to wait ;)

I think you have left out the maybe word lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i am sure george and co have it all in hand . george is like a swan, calm on top. but going like a steam train below the water line . i dont think george has ever let you guys down. something will be happening, just keep calm . you may see your new number one in the Cumberland Classic ( Saturday , March 31st ). who knows !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

Still no news? They only said a few days.

On the announcement the other day it seems the Newcastle promotion were damned which ever way they went, say nothing and let the criticism continue, or put out a statement giving an update and face criticism should anything not happen, which seems to have been the case. One thing is clear the Newcastle promotion will need to get these two signings right, which could be one reason for the delay, because it looks like some Championship teams averages wont change until early July and with no signings after August 12th its gives a very small window of opportunity to strengthen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Winditon said:

All a bit baffling if you ask me. Their last statement said should hear something in maybe 3 days or 4 days. Not very convincing.

That was before the Ben Meeting was called off.  Maybe, just maybe, Final details with the rider(s) involved were due to be finalised (i.e. contract signing) at Peterborough this weekend. Not neccesarily a rider IN the meeting. Just a convenient meeting point. With it being called off circumstances have changed and the meeting up is yet to take place.

Newcastle have never been in the habit of announcing riders before all the i's have been dotted and the t's crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jenga said:

i am sure george and co have it all in hand . george is like a swan, calm on top. but going like a steam train below the water line . i dont think george has ever let you guys down. something will be happening, just keep calm . you may see your new number one in the Cumberland Classic ( Saturday , March 31st ). who knows !

We are at Berwick that night, in the 1st leg of the Tyne/Tweed Trophy, so, hopefully, any new number one will be at Berwick riding for us!!

21 minutes ago, leander said:

That was before the Ben Meeting was called off.  Maybe, just maybe, Final details with the rider(s) involved were due to be finalised (i.e. contract signing) at Peterborough this weekend. Not neccesarily a rider IN the meeting. Just a convenient meeting point. With it being called off circumstances have changed and the meeting up is yet to take place.

Newcastle have never been in the habit of announcing riders before all the i's have been dotted and the t's crossed.

It's happened once or twice before - Metej Ferjan in 2004 was a mighty c**k up, but not totally of Newcastle's doing - and I remember we announced Savalas Clouting (I think it was) and they told Will Beveridge he was being dropped, only for them not to be allowed to sign him and having to go back to Will and ask him to carry on riding.  Once (or twice!) bitten etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I know he rides in Poland, but would Josh Grajczonek be able to arrange his timetable to ride for both Newcastle and his Polish team?

Same goes for Bjarne or Masters

Other than these random names, I really can't think of another rider who might come in as an out and out number 1 :blink:

Although, I think keeping Ashley and Wilko at reserve will be very important because whoever we sign, we will still lack in top end power, so the reserves will be vitally important!!

Edited by Dandelion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jenga said:

i am sure george and co have it all in hand . george is like a swan, calm on top. but going like a steam train below the water line . i dont think george has ever let you guys down. something will be happening, just keep calm . you may see your new number one in the Cumberland Classic ( Saturday , March 31st ). who knows !

is Richard Hall riding then:D:D:D:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, homer said:

is Richard Hall riding then:D:D:D:D

No. He's waiting for the call from Redcar. :D:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy