British Speedway Forum
Steve0

Premiership Grand Final 2nd Leg - Wolves Vs Swindon 4 Oct

Firstly, commiserations to the Wolves team and their supporters. To fall short in the final heat of the season is no way to lose, particularly at home, and knowing your two best riders were unavailable, which would have made a massive difference to the outcome of the title is difficult to digest.

I can only echo the sentiments of my learned colleague, Orion, with regard to the supporters of Wolves. Very magnanimous in defeat and I was congratulated by a Wolves fan immediately after the final heat, which, given how he must have felt was a top response. Many stayed behind to applaud not only their own riders but the Swindon riders and fans too.

Secondly, well done to the Swindon dross chokers Robins on a Lazarus like recovery. I had every faith, and I believe said so in an earlier post. Not sure what the neutral fan was thinking or wishing in heat 15 but it made for a very tense atmosphere.

Great to see so many Robins at Monmore who were in great voice throughout. I am glad I made the effort to travel from SE London and I am now able to enjoy the moment fully.

Tuning in to BT Sport at 9 to watch it all again....

Swindon Robins - Champions 2017 🏆

• Like 3

Used all your luck up in the semi. Well done Swindon.

What having Thorssell and Lindgren end in hospital ? twit.

• Like 4

What having Thorssell and Lindgren end in hospital ? twit.

Belle Vue really don't come across well on social media and here - a very bitter bunch of fans with a rather vocal minority that almost seem to take delight in riders getting injured and any consequences from it.

Glad Swindon won it rather than them anyway, much classier outfit.

Edited by Perton Wolf
  • Like 2

Well done Swindon ..must admit I had given up hope after the first leg but rosco kept his cool and we staged a fightback ..Have to feel sorry for Wolves who doubt would won but for the top two missing and that was the telling factor in the end .

Have to give a lot respect to both set of fans at the track and on this forum ...nothing but respect to each other in victory and defeat makes a welcome change .

Well there's a very fair assesment.👍

Are you for real ? Bloody clown.

• Like 1

what luck was that? ? After Aces riders took out our top 2??

Shame that the Aces fans are such poor losers.

Well done Swindon ..must admit I had given up hope after the first leg but rosco kept his cool and we staged a fightback ..Have to feel sorry for Wolves who doubt would won but for the top two missing and that was the telling factor in the end .

Have to give a lot respect to both set of fans at the track and on this forum ...nothing but respect to each other in victory and defeat makes a welcome change .

well said Orion. Just goes to show when you have 2 teams of supporters who behave themselves and have respect.

I'm assuming no reports of women getting pushed over or bottles being thrown unlike with a certain other team.

Wolves had all the luck. Injuries didn't effect the semi at all. Fricke missing covered JT missing the second leg.

:rofl: :rofl: chomp chomp.

Firstly, commiserations to the Wolves team and their supporters. To fall short in the final heat of the season is no way to lose, particularly at home, and knowing your two best riders were unavailable, which would have made a massive difference to the outcome of the title is difficult to digest.

I can only echo the sentiments of my learned colleague, Orion, with regard to the supporters of Wolves. Very magnanimous in defeat and I was congratulated by a Wolves fan immediately after the final heat, which, given how he must have felt was a top response. Many stayed behind to applaud not only their own riders but the Swindon riders and fans too.

Secondly, well done to the Swindon dross chokers Robins on a Lazarus like recovery. I had every faith, and I believe said so in an earlier post. Not sure what the neutral fan was thinking or wishing in heat 15 but it made for a very tense atmosphere.

Great to see so many Robins at Monmore who were in great voice throughout. I am glad I made the effort to travel from SE London and I am now able to enjoy the moment fully.

Tuning in to BT Sport at 9 to watch it all again....

Swindon Robins - Champions 2017

Glad to hear both sets of fans behaved respectfully. It's a change from the last lot.

Well now, that was a tense evening! Congratulations to Swindon, who have had a remarkable season and crown it with the title. A great bunch of fans and I hope they enjoy their celebrations.

Wolves gave it their all and would obviously have hoped for a different outcome had Lindgren and Thorssell been fit. But injuries are, sadly, part and parcel of the game and you can only play the hand you're dealt. If this, if that never won anything!

I really felt for Harris, who rode well at Swindon but just couldn't find any speed at Monmore. IMHO out of order to criticise someone who always gives of his best when guesting.

Once more, congratulations to Swindon and their supporters.

• Like 3

Superb race track - as you'd expect at Monmore. I can only assume they kept Ronnie Russell, well away from it.

People can blame Chris Harris - but do you honestly believe that they didn't ALL give it their best shot? The days of certain top riders regularly scoring 3,3,3,3 are long gone.

Wolves were obviously weakened by Jacob and Freddie being injured - and clearly, we all wish them well for a full, speedy recovery. But, if I'm honest, Bjerre was wrongly excluded from the incident at Belle Vue anyway; so to this end, there was some element of luck that Wolves even progressed to the final.

So well done Swindon; particularly as you actually finished top of the league at the end of the season. So despite Wolves' unfortunate injuries and battling qualities, you truly were the deserved Champions for 2017.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 2

This thread has been fare all night until some prick comes on ..

I suspect he's been in all night....

He must have got bored and switched accounts.

Thanks to both sides for producing a fascinating and memorable final. I'm pleased that the table-toppers won the title but have to sympathise with Wolves' awful luck with injuries and being unable to deal with the problem due to past misdemeanours by others.

Once more BT managed to show the sport in a far greater light than perhaps was true of what's been overall a pretty wretched season.

Somehow British Speedway's managed to present itself very well for the televised meetings with thankfully the farces taking place well away from cameras, with minimal guests and no obvious rider tantrums.

Perhaps it does show how the sport can still function reasonably well on a night when no other leagues or international competitions are being staged. I don't approve of the fixed night idea but it might be a sad necessity if we're going to make the rest of the sport here as professional as it has come across on BT. I'm sure a casual viewer would be shocked to know the full off-camera story of the 2017 British speedway season. Now, if we can get it right when the cameras are there we must surely be able to do the same when they're absent.

There's still hope.

• Like 1

Glad Swindon won it rather than them anyway, much classier outfit.

The feeling is mutual on that part!!!

• Like 1

If wolves had lindgren and thorsell they wouldve won.

If I had mountaineering equipment I would climb Mount Everest...but I don't.

That was kind of the point I was trying to make to another poster. Clearly you were unaware of that

Probably enjoyed this final as much as any other. Good meeting, Good racing, Close scores, Useless Starting Marshal , ( surely he could see the tapes were slack?? ) Last heat decider, everything you would expect from a tight final.

I give Wolves a lot of credit for the way they fought to the end. To compete without you top 2 men and only lose by a solidary point is truly remarkable. It's probably, possible to replace Freddie and Jacob on away tracks, but to replace them at home is nine-on impossible. It was always the home leg where they were going to suffer. I appreciate it was not their fault, but had Swindon been forced to compete without Dolye and Morris, the match would've been over after the first leg. Those two riders acquired half of all Swindon points.

So congratulations to Swindon, ( I can't imagine how it feels to win, Ha Ha !!) to me you deserve the crown for the form shown in the league. Had you have lost last night it really would have been unforgiveable against such a weakened side...

NB. So pleased Woffy wasn't given permission to ride for Wolves , At least the BSPA got that one right .

And best Wishes to Jason Doyle at the weekend. So want him to win the World Championship, as he is one of the few who still supports our league racing, here in the UK..... :t::t:

• Like 1

Respect for Harris tonight - ARE YOU FOR REAL ? - he rode like a turd - and a smelly one at that. At that showing, time for him to,get a job at B&Q like the rest of us old farts !

Not very nice and uncalled for. Any rider can have an off night, it has to be machine issues I feel. Filling Lindgren s boots would have been a daunting task for anyone tbf. If someone else had been selected an had a bad time , you would have been saying Why no Bomber, he was ok at Swindon. Wolves were doomed the moment Freddie and Jacob got injured, but they done brilliant to get within one point of the deserved and best team in the league.

• Like 1

Fair enough if you do win against our patched up lineup, Swindon deserved it tonight so fair play to them. We aren't all bitter like BV fans still are about last season!

Dont tar us all with the same brush i dont do twitter but whatever some posted on there does not reflect the club in general and has nothing to do with the teams on track performances winning or not. Think its fair to say if Fricke had been available we would have overcome the deficit, if Thorssell was available we might not have. Fact is Cook,Bjerre, and Tungate scoring 11 between them at Monmore underlined the fact we choked again luck evens itself out overall we just were not good enough. I for one have no problem with that.

• Like 2

video

Wolverhampton v Swindon play-off final 2nd leg Wednesday 4th October all heats short version- Polish

English- full

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 2

two great meetings cant fault it for excitement well done rosco and the team