British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
coomie

Somerset 2018

Each to their own, not racing every single week suits me down to the ground to be honest. Less fixtures also makes it more 'important' when there is a match. It can be so easy if there is fixtures every week to say "nah I'll just go next week" instead.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Not enough to fill 2 leagues unless you fill them with sub standard NL riders and certainly no way unless it's double or triple up/down.

It's a myth there are enough riders to go around.  There isn't. 

119 riders needed for 17 7 man teams while 126 different riders rode in the PL and the CL last year, so, yes, there are enough riders. And that’s not counting the new 13 riders who are coming in this year or 6 emerging NL ones.

Rider shortage does not prevent one big league.

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

119 riders needed for 17 7 man teams while 126 different riders rode in the PL and the CL last year, so, yes, there are enough riders. And that’s not counting the new 13 riders who are coming in this year or 6 emerging NL ones.

All well and good having the right amount of riders, but that doesn't allow for having the right riders. You would end up with some teams that are stupidly weak, which in turn lowers the points limit to being a fairer leveller and again watering the product further. So yes, rider shortage does prevent one big league. 

Now a bigger top division of 12 or so teams is a completely different kettle of fish.

• Like 1

Now we’ve established there are enough riders, equality of teams will come down to the right rules and points limits for team building.

Poole and Glasgow might have a GP rider or two while Newcastle and Berwick have a more balanced top 5, but their team points would be limited and the reserves could be a fair share of young Brits.

23 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I thought there were 18 SGBP/SGBC teams last year. In 2018 there are 19 teams of 7 riders and not enough riders of SGBP/SGBC standard for one league - in my opinion of course!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Now we’ve established there are enough riders, equality of teams will come down to the right rules and points limits for team building.

Poole and Glasgow might have a GP rider or two while Newcastle and Berwick have a more balanced top 5, but their team points would be limited and the reserves could be a fair share of young Brits.

One big league would have to be at Championship level - so no GP riders for a start. There are also 17 Premiership riders with an average over 6 and no Championship average, so if you deduct those, you're down to 109.

In 2018 there will be 19 teams requiring 133 riders, so you're at least 24 riders short.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MattK said:

One big league would have to be at Championship level - so no GP riders for a start. There are also 17 Premiership riders with an average over 6 and no Championship average, so if you deduct those, you're down to 109.

In 2018 there will be 19 teams requiring 133 riders, so you're at least 24 riders short.

If you reduce the quality further you will get less fans. People want to see GP riders. 

Biggest thing in speedway in the UK is the GP on TV and people want to see those riders.  Doyle vs Vaculik heat 1 is better than anything else. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Najjer said:

Each to their own, not racing every single week suits me down to the ground to be honest. Less fixtures also makes it more 'important' when there is a match. It can be so easy if there is fixtures every week to say "nah I'll just go next week" instead.

Agree with that. Weekly speedway can be a chore whilst fortnightly on occasion makes it more of an event. Plus obviously Somerset have ensured they are running every week during the summer holidays to maximise potential crowds. To make this happen there had to be gaps open up somewhere else

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

If you reduce the quality further you will get less fans. People want to see GP riders. 

Biggest thing in speedway in the UK is the GP on TV and people want to see those riders.  Doyle vs Vaculik heat 1 is better than anything else. 

I don't disagree, I am merely stating that if one big league with 19 teams was ever to be a serious proposition, it would have to be pitched at a Championship level.

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Your wrong and your maths are all wrong too.  It's 19 teams in the top 2 leagues. Can't count riders who double up as 2 spaces. You would be missing riders by your own idea.

It's proven there aren't enough riders to fill both leagues, certainly not of the standard required to fill both leagues or one big league.

58 minutes ago, MattK said:

Why would you exclude any riders? They just have to have an average, even if it’s 13.5 for Doyle. And 126 2017 riders plus 19 new ones makes 145, more than the 133 needed for 19 teams. Plus there are plenty more foreign riders who would come over given the chance. 

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

We've established there isn't.  133 different riders needed for 19 teams.  You can't include riders who 'might' want to come as only a handful of new riders join our leagues year on year.  We've established there aren't enough quality riders to fill both leagues.

For the riders you have added as new subtract the riders who have retired as well. 

Edited by stevebrum
added information.

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

126 different riders rode in the PL and the CL last year, so, yes, there are enough riders. 

Correct. 126 different riders rode in both leagues last year which required 133 to fill spaces. By any maths that proves there aren't enough riders to fill all team spaces. No different this season. 

49 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Correct. 126 different riders rode in both leagues last year which required 133 to fill spaces. By any maths that proves there aren't enough riders to fill all team spaces. No different this season. 

I have referred to 145 riders above, so there are plenty. Teams would be Championship standard plus every team with a PL number one. Anyway, it’s a Somerset thread so I’ll leave it at that.

6 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I have referred to 145 riders above, so there are plenty. Teams would be Championship standard plus every team with a PL number one. Anyway, it’s a Somerset thread so I’ll leave it at that.

There aren't 145 riders of the standard required.  Your own figures have proved there aren't enough anyway.