British Speedway Forum

Not only was I agreeing with you I was backing you up - not disagreeing in any way.

Then you are 100% correct ;-)

Small/narrow/poorly shaped tracks are the most fundamental problem. Followed by poorly prepared tracks, never any passing in Heat 1.

Tracks generally give the most passing between Heats 8 -12 in my view. Why aren't they prepared for passing from the off?

• Like 1

I see a fair few riders having their say on Twitter. Ward, Cook, Woffinden, Doyle... none of whom are being complimentary about the fact only one rider over 8 allowed. [/quote

I Know the BSPA are trying to bring youngsters through but

I thought all riders had to be over 16 to ride CL and PL and over 15 for the NL

Edited by Triple.H.
  • Like 1

when i watched at Cleveland Park loads of away riders moaned about it being a trick track but i saw amazing races on it and yet went to Halifax and Odsal plenty of times and the passing was at a premium when i was there.- obviously with good meetings too.

My dad used to say proper riders can ride Cleveland Park

I was a regular (although never at the same time) at Cleveland Park, Odsal and The Shay. The racing at CP was way better than anything seen at the other two. Remember how the likes of Steve Wilcock could pass opponents, on both the outside and the inside - often during a single race?! Yet Middlesbrough, in their latter years, struggled to attract more than 850 spectators. What does that say? Fast forward two decades, and I bet the promotion at Redcar would kill for 850 spectators every week.

It was only when I moved to Exeter that I witnessed consistently processional racing. Many miss the County Ground, I know, but I found that once one became accustomed to how fast the riders went at the track (compared to everywhere else), that was it. There was no other interest. Whilst down there, I 'picked' my meetings very carefully!

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 1

Ward sadly can't ride, and Woffinden doesn't ride here anyway, so they should but out.

Yeah, but that's about to change, ain't it so... fixed race nights to entice the stars back, at the same time the doors have been slammed on them coming back by the one 8-pointer thing.

Yeah, but that's about to change, ain't it so... fixed race nights to entice the stars back, at the same time the doors have been slammed on them coming back by the one 8-pointer thing.

A good many GP riders below 8pts...

Woffy, Zagar, Both Pawlicki's, Holder, Kildemand, Lindback...

Several Number One's in that list..,

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

So it seems the way forward for speedway is to pay riders more money so as they can pay for their mortgage and keep buying the latest accessory for their bikes (well who doesnt want coloured spoke straws ) and to finance this put the admission price up for fans in the hope that all the fans that dont go anymore because they think its too expensive will see the error of their ways and return , its a genius plan cant believe I didnt think of it myself

• Like 4

I think the main reason for fixed race nights was to, severely, cut down on the number of guests due to double uppers not bring back the "stars". I do agree, though, that the one 8-pointer per club is wrong. Most riders have true averages now & team building is 42.5 so build to it, doesn't matter how.

I was a regular (although never at the same time) at Cleveland Park, Odsal and The Shay. The racing at CP was way better than anything seen at the other two. Remember how the likes of Steve Wilcock could pass opponents, on both the outside and the inside - often during a single race?! Yet Middlesbrough, in their latter years, struggled to attract more than 850 spectators. What does that say? Fast forward two decades, and I bet the promotion at Redcar would kill for 850 spectators every week.

It was only when I moved to Exeter that I witnessed consistently processional racing. Many miss the County Ground, I know, but I found that once one became accustomed to how fast the riders went at the track (compared to everywhere else), that was it. There was no other interest. Whilst down there, I 'picked' my meetings very carefully!

to be fair i think thats around what we do get

I see a fair few riders having their say on Twitter. Ward, Cook, Woffinden, Doyle... none of whom are being complimentary about the fact only one rider over 8 allowed. [/quote

I Know the BSPA are trying to bring youngsters through but

I thought all riders had to be over 16 to ride CL and PL and over 15 for the NL

Very good that Triple. H. :t::rofl::rofl::rofl:

So it seems the way forward for speedway is to pay riders more money so as they can pay for their mortgage and keep buying the latest accessory for their bikes (well who doesnt want coloured spoke straws ) and to finance this put the admission price up for fans in the hope that all the fans that dont go anymore because they think its too expensive will see the error of their ways and return , its a genius plan cant believe I didnt think of it myself

And there was me thinking that you were always negative. ;)

I would say he is just being realistic about the situation. Shame others can't not be.

• Like 1

I would say he is just being realistic about the situation. Shame others can't not be.

Well you would wouldn't you.

negative if you like ,realistic yes , sarcastic defanitly Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

Given the relatively limited list of decisions contained in the press release, I find it hard to understand how the promoters took two whole days to agree them. I find it disappointing that :-

1. Apart from setting up a working group, the urgent need for improved marketing of the sport does not seem to have been addressed

2. Nothing appears to have been done to reduce costs for riders by way of, say, limiting the specification of engines

3. There doesn't appear to be any reduction in the number of non-league meetings (individual/pairs/fours/under 21s/European/UK team/Junior team/etc) which will take precedence on Saturdays and Sundays over Championship League meetings (during the pleasant summer months!) and result in guests/RR which many regular supporters dislike and newcomers cannot understand

And another couple of issues occur to me which were not apparently addressed :-

1. With the requirement to fit in another 4 Championship League matches and the resurrection of the League Cup, it will be difficult to avoid an even more frantic end to next season than we witnessed last season (matches run after the league cut-off, double headers, multiple matches on consecutive nights, etc). I hope they discussed some method of knocking stubborn heads together when trying to re-arrange postponed fixtures so that these do not all build up for months on end. Also some method of resolving tied cup matches, other than a full replay, to avoid the KO Cup farce of Newcastle/Workington/Glasgow last year.

2. There was no announcement of a change to the final signing cut-off date. Due to late season injuries (inevitable as a result of the frantic end of last season), several teams had no alternative to fielding guests and operating R/R making it difficult for fans to remain loyal to a team they hardly recognised at a crucial point in the year.

I hope these issues were resolved and simply not included in the press release.

With the requirement to fit in another 4 Championship League matches and the resurrection of the League Cup, it will be difficult to avoid an even more frantic end to next season

The league will be 1 home 1 away, so less matches overall.

• Like 1