British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

Thanks The Dean Machine, but what were his comments then?

PS, read with interest your GTR comments ...

40 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Oh no it isn't how can it be they play in red!

Makes no sense, stick to discussing potatoes & marigolds mate.

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Phil Morris is a neutral , as we all know Phil is Welsh.  The under 21 reserve rule & Robert Lamberts current form has panned out brilliantly for team G.B. Question can the Poles change their team for tonight? as they have plenty to choose from.

On a slightly different note why are Poland allowed to stage 3? G.P.s this surely gives the Polish riders a huge advantage.

And there was me thinking Wales was part of Great Britain.

Cieslak said nothing about the track in the article. Phil Morris' name was subtly mentioned in the article by the journalist who wrote it, to tempt readers into thinking the track might have been set up for GB, without actually saying it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

It was to darcy ward 

What was said??

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Lambert was not left out - Cook was programmed to ride. Thereafter Lambert was given Cook's rides, so it was Cook that was left out!

Rosco's job is not easy, Cook WHEN trapping is as good as it gets, team G.B. have got their under 21 reserve in great form which must be the envy of all the other nations.

Any knowledgeable speedway follower would not have given G.B. any chance of success before this event so lets not all get carried away just enjoy it.

Of course Lambert was left out of the race regardless of who was programmed..Lambert had ridden well in Manchester..he rode the first race and was competitive against the Swedes and beat Lindback...so he was replaced for sure....I'm a Cook fan but at that moment it was a huge error and just Rosco trying to look clever and it backfired...

Edited by Trotter65
Auto text correction

3 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Phil Morris is a neutral , as we all know Phil is Welsh.  The under 21 reserve rule & Robert Lamberts current form has panned out brilliantly for team G.B. Question can the Poles change their team for tonight? as they have plenty to choose from.

On a slightly different note why are Poland allowed to stage 3? G.P.s this surely gives the Polish riders a huge advantage.

Wales is actually part of Britain. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

And there was me thinking Wales was part of Great Britain.

Cieslak said nothing about the track in the article. Phil Morris' name was subtly mentioned in the article by the journalist who wrote it, to tempt readers into thinking the track might have been set up for GB, without actually saying it.

Cieslak begins the article by trying to say that he didn't want to blame the track.

However if you read on to the second and third paragraph  

The surface of the Wrocław track for the first final tournament of the Speedway of Nations was  prepared by Phil Morris . It was quite wet and differed from the one on which the Polish riders were training at the beginning of the week. As a result, the Biało-Czerwoni were deprived of the strength of their own track. This translated into a poor result. After the first day of competition, Poland ranks last but one with 15 points on the account. We lose 10 points to the British leaders. - I will not talk about the track. They all had the same and rode better on him than we did. We are facing the second final tournament and we will do everything to make it better - said Marek Cieślak after the competition ."

No it doesn't directly blame Morris but the implication is obvious ---- unless you don't want it to be for some unfathomable reason.

I'm a constant reader of Sportowe Fakty and the message is quite clear "Poland is under attack by the British through BSI". Yes iot's sensationalist but revealing, especially some of the comment sections. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Polish manager is moaning that that track was doctored by Phil Morris. Said it was not the same as when the Polish riders practiced on it earlier this week. Said it went against his riders and played into the hands of the Brits. Said he would make sure the track is as it should be tonight.

Hope Phil Morris stands up to him and tells him to take a hike.

Well they do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Posted two hours before yours. 

"It seems that we finished first because Morris fixed the track to favour GB.

https://sportowefakty.wp.pl/zuzel/759465/marek-cieslak-nie-chce-sie-tlumaczyc-torem-wszyscy-mieli-taki-sam

Lovely people. It can't be easy being constantly pushed around by all the other speedway countries ;)

Edited by RobMcCaffery

I do like the format of the races 2 against 2 it does encourage team riding although apart from Britain and to a point the Danes nobody really got it but maybe that could be incorporated into the SWC and I thought it was great to see a couple of new nations even if the same country’s came out on top but the two day final is a no no for me and on the whole I want the SWC back 

Here's another piece from SF.

More or less in the middle of the competition, nc + reporter Łukasz Benz during the broadcast said that he was a witness to an interesting conversation between the leader of proud sons Albion and the director of the competition Phil Morris . Woffinden praised Morris for preparing the surface.

- Speaking of the track, that's how I will get my word out - said Piotr Świderski, a station expert at the end of the broadcast, sitting in the studio nc +. - Tai praises Phil Morris in the break for preparing the surface and tells him that he is the best this year. Something smells bad for me - he laughed half-seriously. - Such optimism in the English ranks was not from Brexit's announcement - the co-commenters, along with Tomasz Dryła, burned Krzysztof Cegielski .

In all of this, nothing would be strange if it were not for the fact that both men - Woffinden and Morris - are countrymen. Case? The classic would say "I do not think" and of course we are far from the conspiracy theories, but if Maciej Janowski, who was almost born on this track and did not manage, it is worth sharing these insights as a curiosity".

More insinuation. 

https://sportowefakty.wp.pl/zuzel/759457/woffinden-chwalil-rodaka-za-przygotowanie-toru-swietny-wystep-brytyjczykow-nie-b

Good luck to team GB tonight.  Beside Russia, they deserve it most to be champion. I will ask you when did the team GB last time won World pairs championship? And who rode? I think I was on that race. :)

17 minutes ago, Stanislawski said:

Good luck to team GB tonight.  Beside Russia, they deserve it most to be champion. I will ask you when did the team GB last time won World pairs championship? And who rode? I think I was on that race. :)

It was 1984. Peter Collins and Chris Morton. It was held at Lonigo. Morton took the inside gates in all of their race so a similar strategy to last night.

Edited by Aces51

1 minute ago, Aces51 said:

It was 1984. Peter Collins and Chris Morton. It was held at Lonigo.

ON a blistering hot afternoon. Got sun burned sitting in the uncovered press box!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Cieslak begins the article by trying to say that he didn't want to blame the track.

However if you read on to the second and third paragraph  

The surface of the Wrocław track for the first final tournament of the Speedway of Nations was  prepared by Phil Morris . It was quite wet and differed from the one on which the Polish riders were training at the beginning of the week. As a result, the Biało-Czerwoni were deprived of the strength of their own track. This translated into a poor result. After the first day of competition, Poland ranks last but one with 15 points on the account. We lose 10 points to the British leaders. - I will not talk about the track. They all had the same and rode better on him than we did. We are facing the second final tournament and we will do everything to make it better - said Marek Cieślak after the competition ."

No it doesn't directly blame Morris but the implication is obvious ---- unless you don't want it to be for some unfathomable reason.

I'm a constant reader of Sportowe Fakty and the message is quite clear "Poland is under attack by the British through BSI". Yes iot's sensationalist but revealing, especially some of the comment sections. 

I could be misreading it, but I think there is very little in there that is a direct quote from Cieslak. The only part that appears to be a quote is: "I will not talk about the track. They all had the same and rode better on him than we did. We are facing the second final tournament and we will do everything to make it better."

The rest of the paragraph is the work of the journalist. 

So, yes, there might be some conspiracy being whipped up by jounalists and fans, but the Polish manager isn't getting involved in those.

• Like 1

Who gives a damn what the Poles or anyone else thinks.

We sit at the top of the leader board after the first day, and are there on merit.

The Poles from the very first race seemed jittery and nervous hence the double warning about starts.

Tai was superb, leading the country to a strong possibility of a Gold medal (a long time since we truly looked like doing that on merit).

Robert Lambert back brilliantly and seems toi have a great understanding with Tai, and we should carry on with this pairing no room for sentiment  which means leaving Craig Cook on the sidelines 

Finally let hope that Tai is wearing his Union Jack underpants otherwise the haters will have something to batter the lad with.