British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Col

Slovenian GP 01/06

A few good races but overall the expected poor fare that you come to expect from this venue, the Champions league final was also a poor game so looking forward to two big sporting events in one day both disappointed.

• Like 1

I didn't think it was too bad, those with the talent still shone. Zmarzlik was fantastic. The series itself is meaningless to me but I Iike the variety and mind games of the different tracks rather than simply full throttle, best setup wins. There were points when the outside on 3/4 was faster but only some had the nous and talent to use it. 

9 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Lambert had as much speed as anyone else when in front and looked no worse than anyone other than the winner when behind. Not sure why you are singling him out. Changing lines for most last night resulted in losing ground, and don’t forget he was out after every track grade and watering. Two semis out of two is pretty decent going for him, all he lacks really is the experience and a bit of nous at times round the first two bends. 

For me parts of the GP series are a bit tired and need freshening up, Krsko and Prague are of little interest due to the racing and there are too many riders knocking around who have been in and out for years but will never win it ie Lindback, Iversen, Kolodziej, Zagar, Sayfutdinov etc and it’s all a bit samey. 

It is called a closed shop Bagpuss,i have said this for years Lambert has done great and he  looks really  at home in this environment he has had two great rounds.

Talk about a closed shop and Robert Lambert in the same breath !!!:rolleyes:

What is the answer then stop the best riders getting in so we have some new faces who aren’t good enough just for the sake of it? Do we ask Liverpool and Real Madrid to put out their reserves next year so they don’t do well and lesser teams qualify ..,.. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

It is called a closed shop Bagpuss,i have said this for years Lambert has done great and he  looks really  at home in this environment he has had two great rounds.

Like you I think I'd prefer more change each year, same faces does get boring. 

10 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Lambert had as much speed as anyone else when in front and looked no worse than anyone other than the winner when behind. Not sure why you are singling him out. Changing lines for most last night resulted in losing ground, and don’t forget he was out after every track grade and watering. Two semis out of two is pretty decent going for him, all he lacks really is the experience and a bit of nous at times round the first two bends. 

I don’t disagree really with what you said. I was “singling” Lambert out because he is the inexperienced one in the field, and British. I was saying he needs to learn to change lines, he didn’t in Warsaw and that was more of a passing track then Krsko. I stick by what I said he needs faster motors, his engines was slower in Warsaw, hence the queue behind him particularly in one race. All due to inexperience which he will gain as time goes by.

7 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

A plan currently exists by the management to get Peterborough back as an FIM track

What does it take? New APD and softening the fence in the exits?

Not a great SGP but BZ did prove that the track was more than raceable.

I don't understand the beefing about the series riders need refreshing in terms of riders 1-15. The SGP challenge gives everyone half decent a crack at getting their. 

What new names deserve to be in to refresh the series? I would be interested to see who you would drop out of the series.

Edited by James Carter

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Talk about a closed shop and Robert Lambert in the same breath !!!:rolleyes:

What is the answer then stop the best riders getting in so we have some new faces who aren’t good enough just for the sake of it? Do we ask Liverpool and Real Madrid to put out their reserves next year so they don’t do well and lesser teams qualify ..,.. 

Crap post  Egon Muller would he have ever been in a top ever 16 to show us just how good he was.? Have you a short memory even Tai was lucky to be handed another chance in the series after his maiden effort and yes  Robert has earned his chance on merit.

Edited by Sidney the robin

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

I don’t disagree really with what you said. I was “singling” Lambert out because he is the inexperienced one in the field, and British. I was saying he needs to learn to change lines, he didn’t in Warsaw and that was more of a passing track then Krsko. I stick by what I said he needs faster motors, his engines was slower in Warsaw, hence the queue behind him particularly in one race. All due to inexperience which he will gain as time goes by.

Nope, a complete misconception about engines, higher speed on track is down to a combination of rider control and bike setup, rarely the engine itself. 

• Like 2

Perhaps . if there were 2 meetings for every gp .  24 riders in total , top 8 from last gp straight to the next  GP , bottom 8 + 8 others race for a gp spot on friday , no more home country wildcards diluting the quality . wonder how many riders would miss the friday qualifiers ridng in Poland then ?

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Crap post  Egon Muller would he have ever been in a top ever 16 to show us just how good he was.? Have you a short memory even Tai was lucky to be handed another chance in the series after his maiden effort and yes  Robert has earned his chance on merit.

If the rules were fair in the old days Muller would never made any finals .. he only got into the final because he rode against a weaker set of riders in the first place .

51 minutes ago, adonis said:

Perhaps . if there were 2 meetings for every gp .  24 riders in total , top 8 from last gp straight to the next  GP , bottom 8 + 8 others race for a gp spot on friday , no more home country wildcards diluting the quality . wonder how many riders would miss the friday qualifiers ridng in Poland then ?

WHERE would the money come from?

5 hours ago, orion said:

If the rules were fair in the old days Muller would never made any finals .. he only got into the final because he rode against a weaker set of riders in the first place .

And he showed in 1983 on the day even in his own back yard that he could deal with pressure and win a World Final.For many rider's now that opportunity will never be there and as others have pointed out there are six/eight riders who will never win a series .None of us are saying the series is in a bad way it could be in danger of going stale and needs freshening up.Also is Muller qualifying for all those world finals all those years ago any different to some of these mediocre Countries we have in Football World cup's and average sides in European Now.?

If you had the final say, Sidney, which 15 riders would you choose for this year's GP series then?