British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Playoff Semi Final 2nd Leg. Ipswich v Poole 28/9/19

1 hour ago, Trees said:

OK I'll admit too that it's not like the old days when there was real needle between the Stars and Witches, I mean who can dislike Danny King, Bomber Harris, NKI, James Sargeant, Heeps, it's not like Lanham, Davey, Jolly, Flatman, Louis Snr etc lol  I was telling someone I can remember a meeting (in the 80s I think) when the first heat had to be restarted about 5 times as nobody would give an inch on the first bend lol

Sorry but nothing, and I mean nothing, can match Wolves v Cradley at it's height.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

Sorry but nothing, and I mean nothing, can match Wolves v Cradley at it's height.

Haha, the Norfolk v Suffolk thing was pretty strong, it used to be quite nasty but it's definitely diluted now .... 

4 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

This is like the ‘which is the greatest local derby in football’ debate, to the people involved their derby will be the one others can’t match. There are several fierce derbies in speedway, to East Anglians the Lynn v Ipswich derbies of the 70s and 80s were the ultimate meetings. I’m sure Scottish fans would say that nothing beats Glasgow v Edinburgh etc etc.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

This is like the ‘which is the greatest local derby in football’ debate, to the people involved their derby will be the one others can’t match. There are several fierce derbies in speedway, to East Anglians the Lynn v Ipswich derbies of the 70s and 80s were the ultimate meetings. I’m sure Scottish fans would say that nothing beats Glasgow v Edinburgh etc etc.

I remember probably mid 80's, they had police in the crowd on the back straight at least once when Ippo were in town.

My mate got head butted at one meeting with Ippo in the 90's. 

Edited by Bald Bloke

Just now, Bald Bloke said:

I remember probably mid 80's, they had police in the crowd on the back straight at least once when Ippo were in town 

I can remember a Lynn v Ipswich meeting in the late eighties when I would have been around ten years old; we walked as a family from the home straight around to the back straight and had to stop to watch a heat on bend two in front of several hundred away supporters, the language and behaviour was pretty strong and football hooligan like, pretty nasty stuff for a youngster to hear. Can specifically remember Bo Petersen being called a ‘f*cking egghead c*nt’. My parents should have known better really and it was certainly an eye opener for a sheltered Norfolk lad :D haven’t heard anything quite like that at a speedway meeting since thankfully. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

According to Google the approximate distance between Monmore Green stadium and Dudley Wood is approximately 6.8 miles (I'm surprised, I thought it was more than that). Now distance is not the only factor but it's certainly a big indicator in the rivalry. Having partly researched this previously the only tracks that I could find that were nearer were West Ham and Hackney that were around 3 miles apart, which is insane. Incidentally Saddlebow Road to Foxhall Stadium is approx 59.3 miles. Case closed.

5 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I can remember a Lynn v Ipswich meeting in the late eighties when I would have been around ten years old; we walked as a family from the home straight around to the back straight and had to stop to watch a heat on bend two in front of several hundred away supporters, the language and behaviour was pretty strong and football hooligan like, pretty nasty stuff for a youngster to hear. Can specifically remember Bo Petersen being called a ‘f*cking egghead c*nt’. My parents should have known better really and it was certainly an eye opener for a sheltered Norfolk lad :D haven’t heard anything quite like that at a speedway meeting since thankfully. 

I was ok with it, I would of been 21 in the mid 80's. But not a good place for older people,kids and women.

I’m surprised it’s that close too. And surprised Saddlebow to Foxhole is so far :D Football pundits never understand the Norwich/Ipswich rivalry because they are 40 odd miles apart but this part of the world is relatively sparsely populated and it’s essentially Norfolk v Suffolk, certainly in the case of the Old Farm Derby. Something similar with Lynn v Ipswich back in the halcyon days of speedway Id say. 

For the record I’ve been to Cradley v Wolves and the return fixture way back on a bank holiday Monday in the early nineties, can appreciate the ferocity of the rivalry. 

7 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I’m surprised it’s that close too. And surprised Saddlebow to Foxhole is so far :D Football pundits never understand the Norwich/Ipswich rivalry because they are 40 odd miles apart but this part of the world is relatively sparsely populated and it’s essentially Norfolk v Suffolk, certainly in the case of the Old Farm Derby. Something similar with Lynn v Ipswich back in the halcyon days of speedway Id say. 

For the record I’ve been to Cradley v Wolves and the return fixture way back on a bank holiday Monday in the early nineties, can appreciate the ferocity of the rivalry. 

I don't say the following with any 'pride' whatsoever. The local Wolverhampton paper is the Express & Star. In the 70's (I think) they sponsored a 3 team tournament between Birmingham Cradley and Wolves. The tournament was run in 1 day on a Monday ( so must have been a Bank Holiday) , Birmingham at 11:00, Cradley at 3:00 and Wolves at 7:30. At the Birmingham meeting a near riot broke out in the back straight bar and a table, yes a table, was thrown from 1 set of fans to another ! 3 sets of fans at 3 local meetings, what a recipe for disaster. Don't condone it, but my god that atmosphere is missed.

38 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I think the Norwich v Ipswich football rivalry is totally understandable. Football rivalry also contributed to the speedway Wolves & Cradley rivalry, Wolves speedway fans generally followed Wolverhampton Wanderers, whilst most Cradley fans followed West Bromwich Albion.

Edited by Beowulf

11 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

And people go on about being a family sport.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

And people go on about being a family sport.  

I believe that is one of the biggest marketing mistakes the sport has made!! 

Nowadays how many leisure/entertainment/sporting activities do whole families do together - especially families with teenagers - where often the venue facilities don't support anything of the kind?!

• Like 1

Accordingly to the speedway star today in two separate pieces jack holder has suffered a twisted knee in his crash/ slip off at foxhall. 

Must be concussed as well because on tv he was complaining of a injured toe. 

Nuff said I think 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Accordingly to the speedway star today in two separate pieces jack holder has suffered a twisted knee in his crash/ slip off at foxhall. 

Must be concussed as well because on tv he was complaining of a injured toe. 

Nuff said I think 

quite agree you won we lost move on and good luck in the final 

His parents clearly never, played, head shoulders knees and toes, knees and toes with him.   

About time the cheating scum bags didn't prosper. 

• Sad 1