British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2020

Still maintain the most important thing for 2021 is getting back on track and fans in stadiums- team strength are important and ending the season with the wooden spoon isn’t obviously were any club wants to be but build towards March 2022 i say and start promoting the sport as well  because after 20 months of no speedway some fans may have realised they haven’t missed speedway so don’t presume all fans will return.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Haza said:

Still maintain the most important thing for 2021 is getting back on track and fans in stadiums- team strength are important and ending the season with the wooden spoon isn’t obviously were any club wants to be but build towards March 2022 i say and start promoting the sport as well  because after 20 months of no speedway some fans may have realised they haven’t missed speedway so don’t presume all fans will return.

Yep I agree with this, the priority this year has to be to get folk through the door, both previous regulars and newbies although you wonder if that can/will happen under the current regime. As for the league position, I can stomach finishing last as long as the majority of home meetings are won, the racing is good (ie better than it has been) and the away defeats are respectable and not clatterings. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Yep I agree with this, the priority this year has to be to get folk through the door, both previous regulars and newbies although you wonder if that can/will happen under the current regime. As for the league position, I can stomach finishing last as long as the majority of home meetings are won, the racing is good (ie better than it has been) and the away defeats are respectable and not clatterings. 

That's the thing, yes people just want racing, but after a few thrashings at home, just wanting some racing will soon become "I'm not watching that s#!+ anymore". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

That's the thing, yes people just want racing, but after a few thrashings at home, just wanting some racing will soon become "I'm not watching that s#!+ anymore". 

I have said the very same thing a few times over the years. Trouble is I keep going back for another dose of s#,t.

Over the years and with many sports when my team has been rubbish I have often come to the view that I hope they are thrashed so those in charge will wake up. I often saw my teams thrashed but to my knowledge those in charge never woke up.

16 hours ago, mrss said:

I have said the very same thing a few times over the years. Trouble is I keep going back for another dose of s#,t.

What I don't understand is it's well known in speedway that kings Lynn as a good track and 100% fact have got the best equipment by far to prepare the track and serve up great entertainment so why not? Surely if fans went home saying wow that final race . Just my thoughts.  

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

What I don't understand is it's well known in speedway that kings Lynn as a good track and 100% fact have got the best equipment by far to prepare the track and serve up great entertainment so why not? Surely if fans went home saying wow that final race . Just my thoughts.  

That is 100% spot on the last few times I attended I walk to my car and thought why did I bother coming . 
The thing is Kings Lynn is a stock car track now that just so happens to hold a few speedway meetings the track is prepared for the cars  like it or not that’s were we are at  . 

Edited by Haza
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trackerman48 said:

As Haza says stock cars bring the money in at Lynn nowadays and therefore the track is prepared for them with shale which has a high clay content, unfortunately that makes the track very grippy and as well as giving the rider in front a very fast ride it means the riders behind get pelted with heavy lumps and makes the handling of the bike much more difficult, instead of riders being able to try different lines and race they are almost hanging on to just get round the corners at times. We were promised slicker conditions for 2020 so hopefully that will be the case for this season as the racing needs to improve. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 1

I used to love going to King's Lynn in the early 90s to follow Ipswich. 

The racing & the atmosphere was always fantastic especially in Good Friday morning. My own opinion is Lynn like many others have struggled to adapt to these super tuned lay down rocket ships. 

The powers that be really need to get the equipment sorted out as the first part of creating entertaining racing. 

38 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

As Haza says stock cars bring the money in at Lynn nowadays and therefore the track is prepared for them with shale which has a high clay content, unfortunately that makes the track very grippy and as well as giving the rider in front a very fast ride it means the riders behind get pelted with heavy lumps and makes the handling of the bike much more difficult, instead of riders being able to try different lines and race they are almost hanging on to just get round the corners at times. We were promised slicker conditions for 2020 so hopefully that will be the case for this season as the racing needs to improve. 

Don't think anyone can say the track as got to be prepared for cars and not speedway the two can go together as other tracks have done in the past.  Without having to much clay in the track it can work for both. 

1 minute ago, Spl77 said:

I used to love going to King's Lynn in the early 90s to follow Ipswich. 

The racing & the atmosphere was always fantastic especially in Good Friday morning. My own opinion is Lynn like many others have struggled to adapt to these super tuned lay down rocket ships. 

The powers that be really need to get the equipment sorted out as the first part of creating entertaining racing. 

Too late to put the genie back in the bottle. Now have to make the best of what we have. The equipment wont go back now. It would be a bit like reverting from electric back to steam trains....

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Too late to put the genie back in the bottle. Now have to make the best of what we have. The equipment wont go back now. It would be a bit like reverting from electric back to steam trains....

Even if its the equipment that is helping to destroy the sport? 

1 minute ago, Spl77 said:

Even if its the equipment that is helping to destroy the sport? 

Yep

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Oh absolutely Stock Cars is we’re the money is made can’t argue with that it make good business sense anyone would do that . 
Stock cars minimum our lay maximum income or speedway maximum out lay minimum income and a load of hassle to go with it . 

1 minute ago, Haza said:

Oh absolutely Stock Cars is we’re the money is made can’t argue with that it make good business sense anyone would do that . 
Stock cars minimum our lay maximum income or speedway maximum out lay minimum income and a load of hassle to go with it . 

I agree with you stock's make alot more money than speedway but that's got nothing to do with the track preparation as I've said the two can work together easy. Cars have been at Lynn for years and the track and racing was great then. So it can be that now surly?