British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Wimbledon's final meeting

6 minutes ago, Chadster said:

To be fair to Gustix (and someone has to be), I was at the last Wimbledon meeting and can hardly remember anything about it. The thing that has stuck in my mind was that one of his prizes for winning was a sewing machine, which seemed an unusual prize to say the least. Perhaps we could have a thread abour unusual speedway prizes. I'll leave Gustix to start it.

I remember Buzz Burrows' interview after the meeting.   He said that when he won he had no idea the prize was going to be a sewing machine.  He said he was stitched up.

3 minutes ago, CottonOn said:

Why didn't the Saints also sign Jesus?   I thought he'd have been nailed on for a team place.

He was out injured. He wanted to make his comeback at Easter.

1 minute ago, CottonOn said:

I remember Buzz Burrows' interview after the meeting.   He said that when he won he had no idea the prize was going to be a sewing machine.  He said he was stitched up.

Hemmmmmmm...

1 minute ago, chunky said:

He was out injured. He wanted to make his comeback at Easter.

Financial reasons. He would have been hammered with tax lol

I went to both of the 'last ever' meetings at Wimbledon. The abandoned 4TT in June 1991 and the Laurels in October 2005. I did take some photos on the second occasion, but unfortunately they've got lost in the mists of time.

17 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I went to both of the 'last ever' meetings at Wimbledon. The abandoned 4TT in June 1991 and the Laurels in October 2005. I did take some photos on the second occasion, but unfortunately they've got lost in the mists of time.

I was at both meetings - the second of which has been well documented on this thread. Neither visit was actually by choice.

However I enjoyed the 2002 reopening meeting - again there not by choice - to an extent because I had a lengthy chat with "Speedway Star" publisher Phil Rising and that great photographer Mike Patrick.

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, gustix said:

I was at both meetings - the second of which has been well documented on this thread. Neither visit was actually by choice.

However I enjoyed the 2002 reopening meeting - again there not by choice - to an extent because I had a lengthy chat with "Speedway Star" publisher Phil Rising and that great photographer Mike Patrick.

You couldn't have enjoyed the 'racing' that night. From memory, it was like a sea of mud!

8 hours ago, chunky said:

I thought this thread was about Wimbledon's final meeting???

Yes it is but I took an example from the way you -as you have commented - consistently deviated the topic.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Chadster said:

To be fair to Gustix (and someone has to be), I was at the last Wimbledon meeting and can hardly remember anything about it. 

Not surprised Chadster. Most Conference League meetings provided little in the way of excitement apart from when Mark 'Buzz' Burrows was on track.

35 minutes ago, gustix said:

Yes it is but I took an example from the way you -as you have commented - consistently deviated the topic.

Are you talking about THIS particular thread? I have not deviated the topic once. All I have done is merely respond to comments made by others - all of which were based on one particular comment.

1 minute ago, chunky said:

Are you talking about THIS particular thread? I have not deviated the topic once. All I have done is merely respond to comments made by others - all of which were based on one particular comment.

You are correct in regard to this thread.I was referring more to previous happenings on your part. Personally on further thinking I couldn't really care any more as to what you do!

1 hour ago, gustix said:

59 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

You couldn't have enjoyed the 'racing' that night. From memory, it was like a sea of mud!

No I did not enjoy the racing. The outstanding memory of  the 2002 Wimbledon revival meeting was talking with Phil Rising and Mike Patrick from 'Speedway Star.'

7 minutes ago, gustix said:

You are correct in regard to this thread.I was referring more to previous happenings on your part. Personally on further thinking I couldn't really care any more as to what you do!

You really are quite an unpleasant piece of work, aren't you? Yes, I have made fun of you on occasion (nothing nasty, mind), and let's be honest, you have asked for it. However, I have also defended you (both on here and on FB), and given you friendly advice (often by PM) on improving you reputation on both.

You have insulted me, and my profession, but that is obviously okay for you to do.

I have looked for the details on the Speedway Researcher but cannot seem to find anything in regard to Wimbledon's Conference League era 2002-2005. Had I been able to do so there would not have been a reason for me to have started this thread. And from previous Posts in this thread that would have pleased many people.

Edited by Guest

The 2002 Wimbledon opener should never have happened, and that's coming from someone who was involved in the new promotion as a publicist. 

It had been demonstrated by Len Silver at Rye House that it was possible to 'lay and lift' a shale track over a tarmac surface and a similar solution was initially adopted for the Plough Lane revival. It's not exactly an easy technique, laying a shale track just for one night, unless you have a GP-style budget and even in ideal weather conditions you're taking a risk.

When the heavens opened it was clear that it was impossible to go ahead. One of the promoting pair together with most of his team knew it had to be called off. However there was a second promoter who, I am told, overruled the only sensible decision.

The resulting fiasco split the partnership with the one who claimed he wanted it postponing having the responsibility dumped on him. 

I cannot mention names because one of the promoters is notorious at bullying forum owners with legal threats.

Unfortunately so often in speedway it's the good guys who receive the bovine excrement while the guilty use their financial power or sheer ability to bully to walk away with a clean reputation.

I stayed in my role for a while, even going with the team to Buxton where only one promoter was there. He told me later that he had parted company with his partner but couldn't even find the decency to face me and tell me in Derbyshire.

Since that wholly unsavoury experience apart from helping out at the delightful Iwade for a couple of seasons I have kept well clear of working in speedway. I still love the sport, but certainly not the way it is run or too many of the people involved in it. I saw too much. Self-respect is something I wasn't prepared to compromise any longer.