Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, False dawn said:

But the last time we ran such a competition apart from the WTC was the 1973 Daily Mirror International Tournament. The fixture diary was full in those days and we fitted it in. Only England had home fixtures. 

There wasn't anything like the competition from foreign leagues in those days, nor the Speedway Grand Prix that required complicated travel schedules. 

The Daily Mirror Tournament, was I think a one-off as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, iainb said:

... And who's to say that Drew Kemp won't turn out to be another Josh Auty or Ben Howe or Savalas Clouting etc. etc. (to pick a few riders names at random, there are many many more). If you're a late bloomer or want to do things your own way there's no place for you under the current regime. One wonders whether Tai Woffinden would be on the GB Speedway scrap heap during his younger "Party" days? Drew Kemp should be learning his Speedway in the lower leagues and on the continent, serving his time before being given a shot in a World Final, I really hope he goes on to prove me wrong.

Kemp shows the right attitude now and with all the respect in the world to Lawson, the Worralls, Kerr etc. he wouldn’t have done any worse than they would. The same can be said for Brennan, Rowe, Palin or any other young prospect we have right now. The difference is their potential ceiling is much higher than that of the riders who have been on the scene and flattered to deceive for years now. Those riders have had years to chase experience in Europe but have mainly spent them doubling up here instead. The right decision was made in my opinion, if there is no chance of winning then use these events to help our chances of winning in future. The second Tai (or Rob Lambert) is unavailable we have no hope in the SON. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, iainb said:

The thing is though "the kids" are probably living at home with their parents and I suspect are being funded by them. The older riders more likely than not have families to support and have probably had to make hard financial choices this year, that does not mean they have no ambition

To give you a idea how lacklustre yong British riders are, example, after Dan Bewleys last couple meetings on Tai bikes, i emailed him regarding putting in a SERIOUS amount of money to help him out with equipment as i felt watching him on Tais bikes he showed so much more potential.

Didnt even get a reply! This year i put in over £20.000 on a young British rider, but not for me anymore. Anders Rowe is one on my rador for next year.

The point im making, i contacted a young Pole that caught my eye a few years ago, before i could stop typing i got a reply! So looks very likely i will be putting my money in to a Pole next year, shame really

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sommelier said:

To give you a idea how lacklustre yong British riders are, example, after Dan Bewleys last couple meetings on Tai bikes, i emailed him regarding putting in a SERIOUS amount of money to help him out with equipment as i felt watching him on Tais bikes he showed so much more potential.

Didnt even get a reply! This year i put in over £20.000 on a young British rider, but not for me anymore. Anders Rowe is one on my rador for next year.

The point im making, i contacted a young Pole that caught my eye a few years ago, before i could stop typing i got a reply! So looks very likely i will be putting my money in to a Pole next year, shame really

Could it be you used an incorrect or out of date email address? Might be worth following that up via his social media channel to double check. I'd imagine any rider would be only too willing to take such a generous offer on board.

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Najjer said:

Could it be you used an incorrect or out of date email address? Might be worth following that up via his social media channel to double check. I'd imagine any rider would be only too willing to take such a generous offer on board.

The email adress was ref sponsorship only 3 weeks ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ben91 said:

Kemp shows the right attitude now and with all the respect in the world to Lawson, the Worralls, Kerr etc. he wouldn’t have done any worse than they would. The same can be said for Brennan, Rowe, Palin or any other young prospect we have right now. The difference is their potential ceiling is much higher than that of the riders who have been on the scene and flattered to deceive for years now. Those riders have had years to chase experience in Europe but have mainly spent them doubling up here instead. The right decision was made in my opinion, if there is no chance of winning then use these events to help our chances of winning in future. The second Tai (or Rob Lambert) is unavailable we have no hope in the SON. 

I'm sure Kemp does show the right attitude and like I've said before I wish him well in his future my real issue is with the management and selection of riders. Having a good attitude and deserving a place in a world final are 2 completely different things, Adam Roynon had/has a superb attitude you'd never select him for a world final slot though. Surely you blood riders with potential in test matches, there was a world championship medal up for grabs at the SoN and with the likelihood of the track being weather affected always being high. My general point is how long do you keep sacrificing what you've currently got in the hope of what you might get? Sounds a bit like somebody with a scratch card addiction when I put it like that (:rofl:)

GB Speedway needs to make it's mind up on what its mission is. Is it to develop a crop of young riders to fill up team places in league speedway or is it to develop all riders no matter what their age. Also if a rider doesn't buy in to the GB Speedway mission should this exclude them from selection?

Edited by iainb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sommelier said:

The email adress was ref sponsorship only 3 weeks ago

My point was that could you have perhaps used an out of date or incorrect email address for Dan, hence him not actually replying.

Just seems a crying shame as it's clear from those final two matches in Poland that Dan could be a cracking rider whilst on some decent kit, which he is clearly lacking in currently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was gobsmacked that Anders Rowe was not included especially has he was based in Poland!

Looks to me his face dosent fit

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GB Speedway Team mission statement:

The mission is simple; to make Great Britain the most successful and most professional National Speedway Team on the planet. Great Britain Speedway Team has developed and launched it’s Tracking Success Programme incorporating sports science experts, rider coaches, tactical analysts and branding specialists, the Great Britain Speedway Team consists of people that are not only experts in their chosen field but also people who are passionate about elevating GB to the very top.

Great Britain race every year in the FIM Team World Championship - Monster Energy FIM Speedway of Nations and also the FIM U21 Team World Championship. In addition to these events Great Britain also take part in the Global Challenge Series against other leading Nations - the highest level of International Test Match Speedway staged between full 7 rider teams.

Despite stunning early success, when Great Britain came within one race of winning the Gold medal at the 2018 Monster Energy FIM Speedway of Nations tournament, there is a long-term vision in place with the goal of Great Britain regularly producing elite level athletes who can compete on the World stage.

In addition to its senior team, Great Britain have now implemented a solid foundation with the launch of the GB Academy, embracing young athletes from the age of 15 and steering them through their development and into the Under 21 squad, there is now a very clear pathway for British Speedway athletes to reach the very top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Could it be you used an incorrect or out of date email address? Might be worth following that up via his social media channel to double check. I'd imagine any rider would be only too willing to take such a generous offer on board.

That sprung to my mind too, their are many simple explanations other than he could t be bothered Id have thought.

40 minutes ago, sommelier said:

I was gobsmacked that Anders Rowe was not included especially has he was based in Poland!

Looks to me his face dosent fit

He wasn’t included in the World Y21 Team Cup team either.....something seems to have gone down somewhere along the line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not say that that it was a lack of ambition by British riders but more of a convenience & set up caused by covid. Would Rowe have based himself in Poland if he was still racing in Britain. The lack of racing in Britain, this year, has allowed youngsters, with family & pit crew, to go to the odd weekly meeting abroad. This would not have happened if there was regular racing in Britain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anders has also had a lot of help from Ashley Holloway who is based in Poland and sorted a deal and specific equipment out. That's main reason he went over there.

It's been a great experience and he's done very well but unfair to attack others for not taking the same route, when the route nor the necessary equipment was not open.

We've seen how much Bewley has suffered with under-power equipment and how much more competitive he was over there on Tai's bikes.

Hopefully Anders will show the benefits and Holloway will help other young British riders in the future. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HGould said:

Anders has also had a lot of help from Ashley Holloway who is based in Poland and sorted a deal and specific equipment out. That's main reason he went over there.

It's been a great experience and he's done very well but unfair to attack others for not taking the same route, when the route nor the necessary equipment was not open.

We've seen how much Bewley has suffered with under-power equipment and how much more competitive he was over there on Tai's bikes.

Hopefully Anders will show the benefits and Holloway will help other young British riders in the future. 

I can 110% tell you Anders had NO help off Holloway, fact

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HGould said:

Anders has also had a lot of help from Ashley Holloway who is based in Poland and sorted a deal and specific equipment out. That's main reason he went over there.

It's been a great experience and he's done very well but unfair to attack others for not taking the same route, when the route nor the necessary equipment was not open.

We've seen how much Bewley has suffered with under-power equipment and how much more competitive he was over there on Tai's bikes.

Hopefully Anders will show the benefits and Holloway will help other young British riders in the future. 

Hi I am one of Anders relatives- I wondered where you got this information from ????? as NONE of it is correct except the bit of Anders racing in Poland - a trip he and his family have funded - his used his U.K. bikes and engines which are FGM - he and his family have funded everything since he started racing with also a little help from a few small long term sponsors. If you want to write things about Anders please make sure your facts are correct first !!! Feel free to message me to check they are  before you post ! 

Edited by Dan123
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sommelier said:

I can 110% tell you Anders had NO help off Holloway, fact

Was reported when he went.

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy