British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
martin297

Possible Odsal news

3 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

You could maybe get Terry Stone to do a few laps too! 

And the rest of the Men In Black. Terry rides on!

• Haha 1

On 2/22/2020 at 12:49 PM, RobMcCaffery said:

Maybe they could come up with a more meaningful name, such as "Stars of the League", or "Cearns's Dons"?. Showmanship? Giving the public what they want - naaah, what do they know". I'm sure it's not Silver's choice. I still remember warmly Rayleigh v Jack Millen's Anzacs in 1972....

What harm does it really do calling a side racing in a second half with minimal publicity Outer Hebrides Hawks? Talking Scotland I remember a side being tracked in the SJL at Blantyre called Darvel because the riders concerned either came from or practiced in the area. No wonder the Tigers had to move to Shawfield.

Or take rugby. Just where does this side called "The Barbarians" play their home matches?

I'd be interested to know what would happen if someone offered Scunthorpe ten grand to sponsor a challenge match against Boston ;-) 

Please put my mind at rest and reassure me that you are being ironic? 

4 hours ago, George Dodds said:

Please put my mind at rest and reassure me that you are being ironic? 

I'm seriously worried you thought I might not be.......................

• Like 1

too much time spent on this forum blunts your sense of humour and irony. Apologies for doubting you :party:

3 hours ago, George Dodds said:

too much time spent on this forum blunts your sense of humour and irony. Apologies for doubting you :party:

That's okay George. I'm sure I could have expressed it better.

On 2/22/2020 at 12:49 PM, RobMcCaffery said:

Talking Scotland I remember a side being tracked in the SJL at Blantyre called Darvel because the riders concerned either came from or practiced in the area. No wonder the Tigers had to move to Shawfield.

I recall seeing Darvel Rockets (and Northumberland's Felton Flyers, come to that) riding in the second half at The Shay against Halifax's juniors - in the oddly titled Scottish Junior League, I think. I know Felton had a practice track (but rode matches at Berwick). Did Darvel (near Kilmarnock, I later discovered) have their own practice track?

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

37 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

I recall seeing Darvel Rockets (and Northumberland's Felton Flyers, come to that) riding in the second half at The Shay against Halifax's juniors - in the oddly titled Scottish Junior League, I think. I know Felton had a practice track (but rode matches at Berwick). Did Darvel (near Kilmarnock, I later discovered) have their own practice track?

Taken from "Homes of British Speedway" Darvel was based at Roundshaw. Nr Auchinleck, Ayrshire.

"This was a private training track constructed by Alastair Craig on the site of an old coal mine, the main shaft of which was on the centre green....while continuing to use Darvel for training Ronnie Craig, along with his brother Alastair, formed a team called Darvel Rockets, which entered the Scottish Junior League, riding their home matches at Glasgow's Blantyre Sports Stadium ( 1980 - 81) and Craighead Park (1982 - 84)"

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1