British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Five riders that you felt were underrated.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 10:37 AM, Sidney the robin said:

Kennett for me along with Crump senior was one of the strongest and fittest riders i ever saw ride he could force his way through on the line.See a picture of him the other year and he still looks fit and healthy would of loved to see him move to the Abbey terrific value there always seemed like a quiet guy.

Kennet did ride for us one year, Sidney. It was in the latter part of his career. I'm not sure if he was a full time member or rode as a number 8 while in the Second Division.

8 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Kennet did ride for us one year, Sidney. It was in the latter part of his career. I'm not sure if he was a full time member or rode as a number 8 while in the Second Division.

So did Finn Thomsen, Malcolm Simmons Grachan, like Kennett there glory days had long gone 1979-81 Kennett could of been a massive asset to the Robins.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

So did Finn Thomsen, Malcolm Simmons Grachan, like Kennett there glory days had long gone 1979-81 Kennett could of been a massive asset to the Robins.

I felt that Gordon should have gone to Swindon when White City closed rather than moving back to Eastbourne but I guess that it was his comfort zone?

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I felt that Gordon should have gone to Swindon when White City closed rather than moving back to Eastbourne but I guess that it was his comfort zone?

I could never quite understand that Steve,  he had nothing to fear he was so good at White City and Swindon.I suppose Eastie being closer to home and being a lovely area held some bearing on his decision he also was superb around Arlington.

22 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I could never quite understand that Steve,  he had nothing to fear he was so good at White City and Swindon.I suppose Eastie being closer to home and being a lovely area held some bearing on his decision he also was superb around Arlington.

I can only assume Sid that Bob Dugard was a good promoter to ride for and he did treat his riders with respect. When Gordon eventually moved on in 1983 to King's Lynn I think he regretted it and the following year when riding for Wimbledon his form tailed off (despite a superb 13 points taken at Cowley and beating Hans in the process). It was therefore no surprise that he then dropped down a league and returned to his spiritual home. A great servant.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 6:04 PM, chunky said:

Ron How, Arne Pander, Jimmy Gooch (Oxford 65).

The previous year they were backed up by Ronnie Genz, Colin Gooddy and  Jack Geran who would themselves have made a formidable heat leader trio. It's no surprise that Oxford  were league champions that season.

Just now, Split said:

The previous year they were backed up by Ronnie Genz, Colin Gooddy and Jack Geran who would themselves have made a formidable heat leader trio. It's no surprise that Oxford  were league champions that season.

As an afterthought, it's appropriate that these three should be mentioned in an 'underrated riders' thread 

Stan Stevens, Tony Clarke, Brian Leonard, Ted Ede, Tyburn Gallows.

• Haha 1

I guess it all depends on the definition of 'under-rated.' Under-rated but still international standard riders, or under-rated clubmen?

If I was to stick to under-rated international standard riders who I have seen ride, I would choose Simon Cross (very good career, but could have gone further with fewer injuries); Alan Grahame; Peter Karlsson (top league rider, World Cup Winner and GP competitor, but over shadowed by Tony Rickardsson); Kai Niemi (regularly mixed it with the best at club and world championship level) and Tommy Knudsen (over-shadowed by Olsen, Gundersen and Nielsen, plus injuries).

At club level, there have been a whole host of riders over the years, so sticking to five is hard. Nonetheless, in no particular order, I would go for James Grieves; Garry Stead; Kauko Niemenen; Jonathan Forsgren and Leigh Lanham.

Hopefully no-one has hijacked the thread earlier (I haven't checked) trumpeting the virtues of Buzz Burrows...:o

• Like 1

My five would be:

(1) Alec Statham

(2) Eric French

(3) Ernie Price

(4) Malcolm Craven

(5) Danny Dunton

On 5/4/2020 at 5:19 PM, customhouseregular said:

Stan Stevens, Tony Clarke, Brian Leonard, Ted Ede, Tyburn Gallows.

Or possibly Jimmy Gooch, Leo McAuliffe, Eric Williams, Derek Timms and Reg Luckhurst.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, norbold said:

Or possibly Jimmy Gooch, Leo McAuliffe, Eric Williams, Derek Timms and Reg Luckhurst.

Maybe replace Derek Timms with Doug Davies to make five world finalists. I can't think what on earth the five riders would otherwise have in common ;) 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, norbold said:

It's nice to see Derek Timms. Years ago - mid 1950s - he had been in retirement for a couple of seasons. I was working in the editorial department at Speedway Star. I was passing the desk of the subscriptions clerk and being nosey looked at them. One was from Derek Timms. I took his address and wrote asking if he was interested in a speedway comeback. He replied that he was and as a result resumed his career at Aldershot. I found him to be a really pleasant  person. And he made a successful speedway comeback as well.

Edited by Guest

When I was going to Lynn in the mid-70's I looked forward to seeing Doug Wyer, Jim McMillan, Finn Thomsen, Eric Broadbelt and Dave Morton come to town.  Not the superstars of the era but solid #1's who always (seemed) to be giving it all.  Sometimes their teams would spring a surprise but mostly they were on losing teams,  Most of them nearly always got open bookings for the Littlechild, Dow Trophy or Pride of The East, so clearly they were liked and trusted to entertain.  I must have Jimmy Mac's autograph on so many Lynn home programmes....

• Like 2

I always felt that Andy Smith was underrated. Ok he never did much in the gp's but he always used to qualify through the challenge, ahead of such riders as Ermolenko and Crump. He never had to rely on any wild cards.

3 consecutive British Championships-when it was still a strong line-up-confirms his quality.

I remember Tony Rickardsson saying something along the lines of "I don't care if I'm racing Jason Crump or Andy Smith, I still want to beat them." Which I thought was a bit disrespectful.

• Like 1