British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, acef said:

It was greasy on the top but the base was dry. However there was clearly a lot of grip and Shamek was struggling with it. You could see the bike pulling. Fine to go round alone but add another 3 bikes and that wouldn’t have ended well. There were seasoned GP riders there saying exactly that.

So, what are the answers?

It is an option, but generally, you don't want to go round and take off the top surface.

If it's okay for one rider, then send them out for a practice session before the meeting starts. That should produce a better surface, and even provide better racing from the start.

1 hour ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

To be honest I’m not really interested in the safety side, life is dangerous deal with it but as a fan I don’t want to travel round Europe paying my hard earned money to watch meetings get called off needlessly and it has happened ,after the call off yesterday the PGE should have had an inquest into what could be learnt by calling off a basically dry but heavy track, the answer until they can control the weather has to be in the bikes but speedway never learns from its mistakes and the really sad bit is they already know the problem 

You'd think with the money they're paying out the promoters would have more control. I wonder if last night was a small rebellion against the reduced pay rates and sign-on fees? 

1 hour ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

To be honest I’m not really interested in the safety side, life is dangerous deal with it but as a fan I don’t want to travel round Europe paying my hard earned money to watch meetings get called off needlessly and it has happened ,after the call off yesterday the PGE should have had an inquest into what could be learnt by calling off a basically dry but heavy track, the answer until they can control the weather has to be in the bikes but speedway never learns from its mistakes and the really sad bit is they already know the problem 

There is danger in every step we take, but there are also many things we can do to control that risk and decrease the likelihood of certain things happening. Not sure it’s just a case of ‘dealing with it’. If we had that attitude across many spectrums of life our society would be significantly worse for it. Not just speedway. Safety should be of paramount importance, as much as can possibly be achieved in a sport that is already dangerous. The introduction of safety fences for example was such a positive step forward. 

I agree the bikes are the issue. I think our arguments were crossed somewhat, my point being that riders are actually more skill full now than we have ever seen, given the cruise missiles they are piloting.

• Confused 1

Can’t believe I’m reading posts giving riders stick for not fancying it at Częstochowa yesterday. Riders have been waiting nearly 3 months to start racing and are going to have far less meetings to make money from than they usually would in a season. It can’t come as a surprise to see them not wanting to ride on an incredibly unpredictable track on their first meeting back in anger. There were no fans in the stadium to turn away and with no other racing, easy to rearrange for a few days time where the weather and track should be better.

The performance of the bikes is a different argument and agree that things need to be done to make them better in a wider range of conditions, but we are where we are with that at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, chunky said:

So, what are the answers?

It is an option, but generally, you don't want to go round and take off the top surface.

If it's okay for one rider, then send them out for a practice session before the meeting starts. That should produce a better surface, and even provide better racing from the start.

Answer is in the bikes. They work on dry slick surfaces, and don’t work on hard grippy ones.

The track yesterday was rideable 15 years ago. The evolution of the bikes is the bigger issue vs track prep.

3 minutes ago, acef said:

Answer is in the bikes. They work on dry slick surfaces, and don’t work on hard grippy ones.

The track yesterday was rideable 15 years ago. The evolution of the bikes is the bigger issue vs track prep.

I agree, but it seems that it would have been okay for ONE bike, but not racing. A practice session would have got rid of the heavy grippy surface, wouldn't it?

35 minutes ago, chunky said:

I agree, but it seems that it would have been okay for ONE bike, but not racing. A practice session would have got rid of the heavy grippy surface, wouldn't it?

I doubt it. The rain was very heavy and I think polish tracks are clay based, which would probably retain water a little longer.

I may well be wrong.

35 minutes ago, chunky said:

agree give then all a few laps  to turn the dirt over ,some wouldn’t want to dirty their gear though.No fans so unless there was a curfew why not !

Technology rules the sport and they don’t want to sort it out like all other forms of motorbike  sports have done

1 hour ago, Speedy swindon pete said:

Can’t believe I’m reading posts giving riders stick for not fancying it at Częstochowa yesterday. Riders have been waiting nearly 3 months to start racing and are going to have far less meetings to make money from than they usually would in a season. It can’t come as a surprise to see them not wanting to ride on an incredibly unpredictable track on their first meeting back in anger. There were no fans in the stadium to turn away and with no other racing, easy to rearrange for a few days time where the weather and track should be better.

The performance of the bikes is a different argument and agree that things need to be done to make them better in a wider range of conditions, but we are where we are with that at the moment. 

Yes we are where we are but that problem has been around for a few years now, when do you think would be a good time to actually start to address the problem ? Or shall we just wait 20 years and see if global warming kicks in and we get drier weather, proactive sports prosper, reactive sports suffer, sadly speedway is neither and fans have the same debates for ever after until they get fed up and don’t go anymore 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

2 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

You'd think with the money they're paying out the promoters would have more control. I wonder if last night was a small rebellion against the reduced pay rates and sign-on fees? 

The rebels better watch their step then,if that was the case then.IMO

You don’t mess with Polish Promoters there is only one winner there.

Has a decision been made re Iversen for tomorrow yet?

35 minutes ago, Dave Goddard said:

According to Sportowefakty, Iversen is definitely not riding.

It looks like that they will operate rider replacement for him, which means that Bartosz gets an extra ride.

38 minutes ago, Dave Goddard said:

They won`t want to publicise to Leszno  what they are going to do until the very last minute( 60 mins before the start probably)- as i said yesterday if they use R/R NKI won`t be able to ride for 14 days.