British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

Anlas Tyres

I don’t think it is as simple as just saying going back to Mita’s tyres as British Speedway has signed a large commercial deal with Anlas for a certain quantity of tyres  so it will need to be proved that they are not as specified in original contract.

This is why SCB and FIM have become involved and have taken a number of tyres away for independent inspection 

I am not sure on this but doesn't a team get 7 new tyres & if using r/r, the spare gets passed around. Also in the rules it says you have to have 1 new Anlas tyre (marked with white line) & 1 old Mitas tyre up until a certain date(this may soon change)

3 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

I am not sure on this but doesn't a team get 7 new tyres & if using r/r, the spare gets passed around. Also in the rules it says you have to have 1 new Anlas tyre (marked with white line) & 1 old Mitas tyre up until a certain date(this may soon change)

Yes last night each team was given 14 tyres. 

2 tyres per rider. If a tyre cant do 2-3 races, it can't be fit for purpose, surely. Not forgetting the cost:nono: 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, flagrag said:

British Speedway has signed a large commercial deal with Anlas for a certain quantity of tyres

They can add them to all of the GTR engines they've got... just need to buy some dodgy bendy frames and they'll have enough for a complete league of unrideable bikes

• Like 5

I was in the pits at pboro on Monday and when proctor came in you couldn’t even put your hand on the tyre as it was so hot. They was taking the temperature of each tyre as the riders came in and proctors was some 13 degrees hotter than Lawsons when he came in, and there was massive cuts in them. I know it’s the same for everyone but I do kinda feel sorry for the lads risking their lives for our entertainment on these tyres that clearly are not suitable 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iainb said:

They can add them to all of the GTR engines they've got... just need to buy some dodgy bendy frames and they'll have enough for a complete league of unrideable bikes

The rate that the riders are coming off their bikes, there will be plenty of 'dodgy bendy frames' available.. 

On 6/8/2021 at 10:40 AM, flagrag said:

British Speedway has signed a large commercial deal with Anlas for a certain quantity of tyres  so it will need to be proved that they are not as specified in original contract. 

If they have supplied a product that is not fit for purpose - never mind outright dangerous - then the tyre company should be considered in breach of contract! With the limited number of riders available to British speedway this is a crisis that cannot be ignored. Commercial interests cannot override rider's safety.

• Like 3

Before this deal was done, was there any testing done on them?

At Plymouth last night, they didnt have enough tyres to issue 14 for each side.

Berwick were only given 11 tyres. I assume, in order to be fair, Plymouth only had 11 as well?

Anlas are picking up the bill until replacement tyres with a different compound are available..

...... & the Plymouth riders tyres lasted better, as they got 4 x 5-1's in the last 4 races.

Not long ago, Scott Nicholls said that the bikes need a different set up to suit the new tyres.

1 hour ago, Gasser90 said:

I was in the pits at pboro on Monday and when proctor came in you couldn’t even put your hand on the tyre as it was so hot. They was taking the temperature of each tyre as the riders came in and proctors was some 13 degrees hotter than Lawsons when he came in, and there was massive cuts in them. I know it’s the same for everyone but I do kinda feel sorry for the lads risking their lives for our entertainment on these tyres that clearly are not suitable 

Richard Lawson recorded the highest temperature for a tyre in Heat 15 on Monday. They aren't getting any hotter on the surface temperature than the old Mitas Tyres. The problem is both the construction and compound. (pretty much the whole tyre then)  Pressure rises were normal. tyres are losing big chunks after just one ride. They disintegrate at very inconsistent rates. Some lasting well, some not even 4 laps. The sidewall and bead construction appear to be of most concern at the moment, and the vulcanisation of the rubber to the carcass. 

The SCB are only involved because its a big safety issue and someone has signed a big commercial contract with a tyre that isn't fit for purpose. The problem will also be that those with all the data and testing aren't tyre experts themselves, don't really know what they are looking at, and certainly won't get an expert outside opinion from someone who is. The old Mitas tyre would wear at a predictable rate and when the knobbles were torn off the didn't expose the carcass underneath. In short, they wore out consistently. These things are going to get someone hurt if they aren't careful.

1 hour ago, bluebee said:

If they have supplied a product that is not fit for purpose - never mind outright dangerous - then the tyre company should be considered in breach of contract! With the limited number of riders available to British speedway this is a crisis that cannot be ignored. Commercial interests cannot override rider's safety.

Try proving it. Someone is going to have to get a very expensive lawyer and some expert witnesses on board. They cost money, that some people won't want to spend

This isn't formula 1

43 minutes ago, wtf said:

Try proving it. Someone is going to have to get a very expensive lawyer and some expert witnesses on board. They cost money, that some people won't want to spend

This isn't formula 1

I would think if you get riders on your side with plenty of expert opinion from managers, mechanics etc, plus statistics on rider injuries then the manufacturers would be getting rather worried. The opposite could be considered as well: what if a rider or iders(s) grouped together and the case that they were being made to use dangerous equipment to pursue their livelihood, Manufacturers are scared witless by any possibility of a case being brought about negligence. With the tyre change rule being brought in there is obviously ample evidence of a shoddy product not fir for purpose. Someone should try asking Anlas if they are prepared for a serious accident to be proved dto be own to a disintegrating tyre made by them.

I don't think this issue can be swatted away. Lives and livelihoods are at risk if something isn't done.