British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds vs Poole + Plymouth Sun 8 Aug 4pm

2 minutes ago, GWC said:

Looks like Newcastle expected to lose to Poole so didn’t put up a fight. Different against Plymouth though.

Sort of highlights the have’s and have nots’ of speedway this season - Leicester Glasgow and Poole in the haves’ section clearly.

Not quite. The track was very wet for the Poole meeting and more or less perfect for the Plymouth meeting. Some riders preferred the wet conditions while other riders, the home team, excelled when the track was more consistent.

As for the haves and have nots, yes Poole is always built to the “haves”. It means wins and a strong following. Crowds at Wimborne Road have been very good for the last two home fixtures and with ~Redcar visiting on wednesday it should be another big crowd. Winning means bigger crowd. Very pleased Newcastle bounced back from a mauling to win the second one.

• Like 3

Surely all Championship sides had the same team-building opportunities.  With Poole dropping down in order to save money I'm sure they haven't 'outbid' anyone to get their 1-7 (when they do actually have their full 1-7!), bearing in mind initially they were expecting to track Adam Ellis and Josh MacDonald!  The closure of Somerset came at exactly the same time for all other clubs to consider those released riders in their respective line-ups.......

Edited by Skidder1

2 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Surely all Championship sides had the same team-building opportunities.  With Poole dropping down in order to save money I'm sure they haven't 'outbid' anyone to get their 1-7 (when they do actually have their full 1-7!), bearing in mind initially they were expecting to track Adam Ellis and Josh MacDonald!  The closure of Somerset came at exactly the same time for all other clubs to consider those released riders in their respective line-ups.......

This is true in the same way that Hartlepool have the same team building opportunities as Manchester City.

• Haha 9

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

This is true in the same way that Hartlepool have the same team building opportunities as Manchester City.

Sorry - I didn't realise Hartlepool and Man City were in the same league!!!:rolleyes:

Can I say a BIG thank you to all those spectators who turned up yesterday, especially those that made a long journey. This was a big ask especially with the weather  forecast. Hope the Poole supporters have recovered from their frostbite being this far north lol

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

But maybe not the same amount of funds available 

• Like 1

I heard yesterday that Newcastle can only used British riders due to Brexit. The promotion cannot bring in foreign riders due to the business being less than 1 year old. New brexit red tape.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Not quite. The track was very wet for the Poole meeting and more or less perfect for the Plymouth meeting. Some riders preferred the wet conditions while other riders, the home team, excelled when the track was more consistent.

As for the haves and have nots, yes Poole is always built to the “haves”. It means wins and a strong following. Crowds at Wimborne Road have been very good for the last two home fixtures and with ~Redcar visiting on wednesday it should be another big crowd. Winning means bigger crowd. Very pleased Newcastle bounced back from a mauling to win the second one.

Hi Steve did you stay for the second meeting too? Hope you enjoyed your weekend.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

No thats definitely not the case, Plymouth got accepted into the championship when their was very few riders left to sign and given 10 days to put together a team upto a certain strength average wise. Hence the reason we have the team we got but we are in the league now and its all about next season when we will  have the same  opportunities to put a team together. Mat and Danny Ford have been a good help to Plymouth and they do have a good working relationship I believe. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Trackerman48 said:

Hi Steve did you stay for the second meeting too? Hope you enjoyed your weekend.  

Yes I did. 

Any update on Archie Freeman, please?

5 minutes ago, BobC said:

I had a quick word with him in the car park after the meeting and he said he was "OK."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BobC said:

He has a burn on his leg, caused by being trapped on the exhaust, and part of his Kevlar's is trapped in the wound. Spoke to him afterwards and he'll be riding next week OK.

• Like 2

Felt sorry for the lad who was leading heat 2 against Poole and in for a point against Plymouth before falling. Good luck to the lad and glad nothing is broken. He will be scoring his first points for his club soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

He has a burn on his leg, caused by being trapped on the exhaust, and part of his Kevlar's is trapped in the wound. Spoke to him afterwards and he'll be riding next week OK.

Thank you. Sounded nasty. I was impressed with him when Plymouth held 2 demonstration meetings in 2020. Pleased hes ok.

• Thanks 1