British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon1983

Could Speedway Follow British Superbikes?

Just a question I asked myself this morning, certainly not replacing "League" Racing but either to run alongside it or potentially if league racing disppeared

So the "British" Superbike Championship does feature riders from lots of different nationalities but it is raced in the UK.

It comprises of 2-3 days worth of action due to practice, Qualifying etc. however that is because it allows all competitors on track at the same time for racing where Speedway is different...

So would people pay £25/£30 for a days of Speedway action say an 8/10/12 round series on a Saturday?

it could feature 

8 Rider - British 125cc Championship (8 races plus a Final)
8 Rider - British 250cc Championship (8 races plus a Final)
12 Rider - British U23 500cc Championship (12 races plus a Final) 
8 Team - British Speedway Sidecar Championship (8 races plus a Final)
12 Rider - British 450cc Open Championship (12 races plus a Final) featuring the great late Peter Seaton's idea of 450cc MotoX engines in Speedway Chasis so guys running Honda, Kawasaki etc.
16 Rider - British Speedway Championship (20 races plus 2 semi & Final)

If Racing Started at 2pm, gates open from 11.30am practice sessions for each championship from 12pm until 1.30pm 

Could something like this work?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Just a question I asked myself this morning, certainly not replacing "League" Racing but either to run alongside it or potentially if league racing disppeared

So the "British" Superbike Championship does feature riders from lots of different nationalities but it is raced in the UK.

It comprises of 2-3 days worth of action due to practice, Qualifying etc. however that is because it allows all competitors on track at the same time for racing where Speedway is different...

So would people pay £25/£30 for a days of Speedway action say an 8/10/12 round series on a Saturday?

it could feature 

8 Rider - British 125cc Championship (8 races plus a Final)
8 Rider - British 250cc Championship (8 races plus a Final)
12 Rider - British U23 500cc Championship (12 races plus a Final) 
8 Team - British Speedway Sidecar Championship (8 races plus a Final)
12 Rider - British 450cc Open Championship (12 races plus a Final) featuring the great late Peter Seaton's idea of 450cc MotoX engines in Speedway Chasis so guys running Honda, Kawasaki etc.
16 Rider - British Speedway Championship (20 races plus 2 semi & Final)

If Racing Started at 2pm, gates open from 11.30am practice sessions for each championship from 12pm until 1.30pm 

Could something like this work?

Something along those lines could work.

The old four competition from the 80s & 90s used to give cracking value for money and bags of entertainment.

The only issue I think would be could the track surface handle that amount of action? In the old days with plenty of dirt no issues but now with most of the dirt removed I'm not so sure.

7 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Something along those lines could work.

The old four competition from the 80s & 90s used to give cracking value for money and bags of entertainment.

The only issue I think would be could the track surface handle that amount of action? In the old days with plenty of dirt no issues but now with most of the dirt removed I'm not so sure.

Yes I thought that and also how any pits area could handle that amount of bikes plus for a day of that duration there has to be other things that people can do to kill a little bit of time between races etc.

34 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Yes I thought that and also how any pits area could handle that amount of bikes plus for a day of that duration there has to be other things that people can do to kill a little bit of time between races etc.

We'll be at Kings Lynn Flat tracking on Sunday, well over 100 riders and best part of 200 races, mostly 6 laps, with everybody competing consecutively so it could be done when the format is as described.

Maybe splitting it into two meetings running 3 groups at each but still a full day entry would be easier and maybe if you ran the U23, 450's and Championship together in the afternoon spectators would also come along who don't want to spend a full day there. Track could also be given a really good turn over and grade between meetings if you had something going on in the centre while you did it.

I quite like the idea but it would have to be an additional event for tracks as they couldn't run too many of those meetings.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 12:50 PM, Falcon1983 said:

say an 8/10/12 round series on a Saturday?

How many tracks up and down the UK would be available for an all-day Saturday event?

3 hours ago, uk_martin said:

How many tracks up and down the UK would be available for an all-day Saturday event?

Or Sunday too?

Glasgow? Redcar? Belle Vue? Peterborough? Scunthorpe? Ipswich? Kings Lynn? Plymouth? Leicester? Eastbourne? Newcastle? Sheffield?

Mildenhall? Berwick? 

Could they all do either a Saturday or a Sunday "all dayer"?

The IOW maybe too?

As has been shown though at the IOW, you don't need six hours to put on an intensive entertaining show...

It's an idea.

Been to a couple of BSB rounds at Oulton Park. Great days out. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 11:14 AM, OGT said:

It's an idea.

Been to a couple of BSB rounds at Oulton Park. Great days out. 

Maybe if no one can see the potential of running a full day then all the National Championshps could be ran over one weekend?

Ideally a BH weekend but at a push Fri, Sat and Sun any weekend during the Summer hols..

U19, U21 and British Final..

Ran at say Scunthorpe, Sheffield, NSS..?

Or Ipswich, KL, Peterborough..?

Or Edinburgh, Berwick, Glasgow?

Or Wolves, Birmkngham, Leicester?

Or even two close tracks with one running the U19 and the BF?

Eg NSS, Sheffield, NSS.. 

Sell all three meeting tickets for say £50 and make the weekend an "event"...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2