British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2022

30 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Soon to be another calender year but somethings just dont change with the uncertainties surrounding the track , 

Most of the U.K. population doesn’t even know Speedway exists which was highlighted in the star this week when it was mentioned that England won team of the year in the BBC sports personality awards when finishing as runners up in the European Championships whilst the England Speedway Team that won Gold at Belle Vue this year didn’t even get a mention in the whole 90 minute program.

Not the BBC,s finest hour.

40 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Most of the U.K. population doesn’t even know Speedway exists which was highlighted in the star this week when it was mentioned that England won team of the year in the BBC sports personality awards when finishing as runners up in the European Championships whilst the England Speedway Team that won Gold at Belle Vue this year didn’t even get a mention in the whole 90 minute program.

For the record - The England Speedway Team won nothing but Team GB did :rolleyes: Happy New Year

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

England don't have a speedway team

Not your finest hour

4 hours ago, Steve0 said:

For the record - The England Speedway Team won nothing but Team GB did :rolleyes: Happy New Year

Great Britain or England, I can accept either, team GB is just a a play with words, I don’t subscribe to this sort of hype.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

Great Britain or England, I can accept either, team GB is just a a play with words, I don’t subscribe to this sort of hype.

I suggest you ask Scottish speedway fans who they would have been rooting for if it was England, not Team GB. I suspect I know the answer. They are educated enough to realise the massive difference.

The Scots  like most Gaelic nations would do anything to get one over England. They forget that it was England that was landed with a Scottish King not the other way round.  

Myself as half Irish have always thought of the UK as one entity and have never understood the reluctance of Scotland, Ireland and Wales not to do the same.  I will support England in sporting events etc but also hope the other members of the UK do well,

Edited by wealdstone

34 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

I suggest you ask Scottish speedway fans who they would have been rooting for if it was England, not Team GB. I suspect I know the answer. They are educated enough to realise the massive difference.

Wikipedia or the BSPL,s own website both show the 2021 SON winners as Great Britain.

19 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

Wikipedia or the BSPL,s own website both show the 2021 SON winners as Great Britain.

Exactly, not England

On 12/31/2021 at 11:20 AM, bigcatdiary said:

Same as sky appear to do.

Unless they show a sport they lose interest in giving info

On 1/1/2022 at 3:39 PM, bigcatdiary said:

Wikipedia or the BSPL's own website both show the 2021 SON winners as Great Britain.

The SON winners are indeed Great Britain. Even if they were Team GB, the winners would still be Great Britain - same as Olympic winners.  The British Olympic Association actually has Team GB as a commercial trademarked name - that might be why the speedway equivalent is now known as the GB Speedway Team:  https://gbspeedwayteam.com/

57 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

The SON winners are indeed Great Britain. Even if they were Team GB, the winners would still be Great Britain - same as Olympic winners.  The British Olympic Association actually has Team GB as a commercial trademarked name - that might be why the speedway equivalent is now known as the GB Speedway Team:  https://gbspeedwayteam.com/

Very likely

On 12/31/2021 at 10:44 AM, scoobydoo said:

Soon to be another calender year but somethings just dont change with the uncertainties surrounding the track , 

20 years and ongoing but getting nearer to the end game. Nothing new in the story.

There's a bit of sabre rattling before: " chief executive of AEPG, said it was hoped to submit two outline planning applications, plus a masterplan for the site, to Peterborough City Council in the spring.

It's quite comical that in September they said that their masterplan would be in line with the PCC local plan then they come out with this guff that will be rejected as it was when the last cowboys tried it on.

With the main impact still coming: “We are hoping that development work will get under way in during 2023/2024.” although there can still be many hurdles to cross.

2 hours ago, Crump99 said:

20 years and ongoing but getting nearer to the end game. Nothing new in the story.

There's a bit of sabre rattling before: " chief executive of AEPG, said it was hoped to submit two outline planning applications, plus a masterplan for the site, to Peterborough City Council in the spring.

It's quite comical that in September they said that their masterplan would be in line with the PCC local plan then they come out with this guff that will be rejected as it was when the last cowboys tried it on.

With the main impact still coming: “We are hoping that development work will get under way in during 2023/2024.” although there can still be many hurdles to cross.

Shame it isn’t the same outfit doing the development at Swindon, could be talking decades then.

The local councillor (Green Party) is fully up to speed with developments at The Showground, I have had many conversations with her on this subject. She is adamant that the future of the Speedway Club must be assured, either at its existing location or elsewhere and that this must be a part of any development plans, I also understand the full council generally also supports this. She attended a fixture last year at The Showground for the first time and loved it. Additionally I understand the plan for 1600 houses is merely bluster, and has no chance of progressing as the infrastructure of roads, schools and health services could not currently support such a development. In short, she is on the case and will vehemently fight the Panthers corner.

I should also add that I have put Buster in touch with the councillor and I believe they have spoken.

Edited by Mick Bratley
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

The local councillor (Green Party) is fully up to speed with developments at The Showground, I have had many conversations with her on this subject. She is adamant that the future of the Speedway Club must be assured, either at its existing location or elsewhere and that this must be a part of any development plans, I also understand the full council generally also supports this. She attended a fixture last year at The Showground for the first time and loved it. Additionally I understand the plan for 1600 houses is merely bluster, and has no chance of progressing as the infrastructure of roads, schools and health services could not currently support such a development. In short, she is on the case and will vehemently fight the Panthers corner.

I should also add that I have put Buster in touch with the councillor and I believe they have spoken.

Oh no - your post was going so well.....

Until the last sentence ;):D

• Haha 2