British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

57 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

If not @ Birmingham could well be Oxford or even Poole where he's very popular as the local lad.

One thing with Kyle is you get 100% commitment.

Very popular at Eastbourne too.

46 minutes ago, M.D said:

Very popular at Eastbourne too.

I do wonder if promoters look @ the bigger picture, seven riders that the crowd love to watch should equal healthy gates. There can only be one league champion every season BUT we want all teams to survive long term.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2021 at 8:49 AM, heathen52 said:

Let me say what i do know about Laurence Rogers, Firstly I have no idea if he owes anyone any money or not, he is a Speedway Fan above all else, he lives, eats, sleeps, breathes Speedway and has done for many years, yes its true that many of his Speedway projects have fallen by the wayside Mildenhall, Newport, to name a few and he has been involved with other Teams such as Coventry and more recently Plymouth, then there was the young American touring Teams put together by Steve Evans and others. Laurence is an ordinary working guy just like you and I who has done his best to try to keep these teams going, yes primarily with other peoples money but had he not tried then the majority of these Teams would have closed down sooner rather than later, Its surely better to have tried and failed then to have not tried at all, he is always willing to give young riders help and assistance to get on in the sport, The other thing that I know about Laurence is that if I contacted him wanted some help with something to do with Speedway he would most likely never say no and that maybe that is his biggest failing if it can be called that. I agree he is probably not the finest team manager that there ever was but thats possibly more to do with budget restrictions than anything else.

My final word, It would probably have been easier for Laurence to walk away from Birmingham speedway and let it be consigned to the history books than to have the hassle and ingratitude of some by trying to keep speedway in Birmingham, but NO speedway is in his blood just like you and I, agreed maybe its not his money but no-one forces these people to put money into clubs that are struggling to survive, one thing is for sure Speedway will be the poorer when he finally decides enough is enough.

The only things Laurence Rogers are guilty of is being obsessed with speedway and getting a bit carried away at times.

It looks likely that without his recent time consuming efforts to keep Birmingham speedway going, we'd of lost the Brummies and once its gone its hard to reopen in the future!

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I do wonder if promoters look @ the bigger picture, seven riders that the crowd love to watch should equal healthy gates. There can only be one league champion every season BUT we want all teams to survive long term.

this is very true - crowd favourites are not always the top men - triers and personalities count for a lot. 

42 minutes ago, Jimsboy said:

James Haylock-Shanes and Ash Morris 1st two riders signed. 2 - 4 in the team i would guess?

Think there will be a few on here moaning about the first two signings,  but the club have got to get it right in the way the club can afford, and run not just next season & future season ahead. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Jimsboy said:

James Haylock-Shanes and Ash Morris 1st two riders signed. 2 - 4 in the team i would guess?

As expected....could be worse...

Paco and Thomas will be next (IMO)

It does look likely that we'll end up with Newman....leaving a fair chunk for the last 2 riders.

I'm sure there will be at least one big hitter ?

19 hours ago, HGould said:

Kyle was harshly treated by Brummies in 2019 so may not want to come back. 

On his day a third heat leader but mainly a very good number 4 rider for anyone in CL. 

Oxford might be a good shout. Can still improve his average. 

I think it's debatable if he was treated harshly last time round? 

Most of the 2019 team were terrible and he was probably a scapegoat for the poor results....

Him and Oyster were well below their best at the time....

I think Newman is on par with Morris/Shanes.....it wont improve us, but wont make us worse ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

Think there will be a few on here moaning about the first two signings,  but the club have got to get it right in the way the club can afford, and run not just next season & future season ahead. 

Nobody will be moaning.....WE are just glad to be still ' breathing' ! :D

19 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Nobody will be moaning.....WE are just glad to be still ' breathing' ! :D

You know there will be a few moan.

Well, if you pay yer money to attend, then you have every right to have an opinion...(good or bad...)

I actually think that Morris and Shanes will be decent performers on a 'new' grippy track.....

Both riders have bags of bottle and on their day, can be both entertaining and match winners.

9 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Well, if you pay yer money to attend, then you have every right to have an opinion...(good or bad...)

I actually think that Morris and Shanes will be decent performers on a 'new' grippy track.....

Both riders have bags of bottle and on their day, can be both entertaining and match winners.

Especially if both are at reserve :D

• Like 1

It is what it is.

Would I rather watch Morris and Shanes on a Wednesday night at PB or sit at home reminising on what once was but is no longer available.

It's a no brainer question really.

Both Morris and Shanes could improve their average, then again we've been saying that for 2-3 seasons.

They are what they are, solid second string triers who can beat anyone on their day.

Both would benefit from a track far better prepared than in 2021. I don't blame the Masons nor Promotion for that, that responsibility lies with the morons who vandalised equipment initially and with Stadium who deny proper access at times.

Paco and Jack would be similar signings as would Kyle though I hear he is going elsewhere or possibly not riding at all.

I do wonder if with Laurence connections Broc Nichol may be an option if surplus to requirements at Glasgow, another rider who has promised much but so far not delivered as expected. Maybe one of both of the Ruml's would fit that criteria too?

I'm just happy to have Speedway, anything else is secondary.

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if Brum go down the route of signing any rider that needed a visa (especially in the consortiums first year). First two signing are unsurprising and uninspiring but are at least credible riders around Birmingham although unless Morris offers some machinery investment or Shanes has a style change neither are likely to add anything significant to their average (again) and both risk becoming the aforementioned frustrating Newman type rider who offers so much promise yet remains a sub 6 CL rider season after season. 

Not really sure what the final pieces of the jigsaw will be but i hope that nobody tries to extort more out of Brum than they can afford to pay due to the limited options. Id rather see an honest team tracked even if its a bit under the limit rather than a couple of mercenaries who put the long term project in danger.

• Like 2