British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Oxford Vs Poole Jubilee Cup &Return 2nd-3rd August

38 minutes ago, sommelier1 said:

Jason Crump comments on Drew Kemp in the British Final programme is spot on!

What did he say ?

Thank you to SS & Shaleshifter for mentioning me to Nigel Leahy. Hey up to all 3

Pleasure to meet u Nigel, had a good chat and thank you for mentioning me over the mic during the meeting. U made me feel comfortable in chatting.

Appreciate everything

From the depths of desperation to the joy of celebration! If any team can the Pirates can!

C'MON THE PIRATES :t:

#piratepride

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

What did he say ?

Really inconsistent this year, not a kid now & needs to start propelling forward

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Hardly any Oxford fans present. Only up the road but if there were a handful there they were not visible. They missed a great meeting and their team did them proud.

One of the few failings of the Oxford relaunch is the complete lack of merchandise. Four months in and not so much as a bleedin' biro available to those who wish to show their support for the club.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This liddle Turnip is heading back to base on the National Express first stop London then National Express to Nottingham arriving 1630.

My next appearance is at Leicester vs Scunthorpe to see if me Lions mates can also enjoy the moment of qualifying for the Jubilee Final. Mr Lawson may av a say in that tho, well he tends to use sign language at Leicester! That's our Richard :D

Toot Toot  :t:

16 minutes ago, arnieg said:

One of the few failings of the Oxford relaunch is the complete lack of merchandise. Four months in and not so much as a bleedin' biro available to those who wish to show their support for the club.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. It's been a fantastic relaunch, but would have loved to see some merchandise for sale. I'd have happily bought some stuff. Jamie Courtney talked about the fact he was wearing the new club jacket when interviewed at the Plymouth meeting, I was then expecting to see some merch for sale on the site (or at the track) shortly afterwards, but nothing as yet.

10 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The form of Kemp is a worry. Seems to lack any confidence on track and was picked off easily by Ruml in the one time he wasn’t last. Switched bikes but made no difference. Chalk and cheese to how he was earlier this season. Needs to get his issues sorted before the pointy end of the season. We can’t carry two riders.

With only one league match left does it mean we will go into the play offs with Zach Cook at reserve until the final match however far Poole go.

I ask as my long time reservations on Kemps form and development is raising its head again. Difficult enough we are carrying Nathan which expected but even I thought we would get a little more from him. Shame we could not have secured Mulford who exactly same age felt showed more ability. That's been proven since he came back this season for B.Vue outscoring Nathan. Maybe his grass track is his priority.

I really do fear we will be found out by the better clubs like Leicester/Glasgow in the play offs. We no longer look invincible at home. In recent matches we have relied on dragging ourselves over the line in the latter part of meetings. How we will fare at Gl/Leic is a worry carrying these two. Could give us too much to do at home if both not firing.

Feel sorry for Nathan who is out of his depth but is trying. Kemp is an enigma. We have seen similar young riders such as Gilkes/Flint/Edwards develop better than him and he is in his 4th season - 5 if you include his junior 500CC championship win. I deducted the covid year. He should have pushed on but if anything he seems to be going backwards. Even Jason Crump has aired reservations.

I don't want to knock any young rider finding his way and if he was the junior reserve it would be different as you can carry him. Just fear for the direction he seems to be going. Can turn in the odd good ride but far too many poor ones for someone who should be on an upward trend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...or the price of petrol may well have put people off from travelling?

Do Oxford fans earn less than Poole supporters, as there were easily a couple of hundred Pirates fans at Cowley on Tuesday.

1 hour ago, sommelier1 said:

Jason Crump comments on Drew Kemp in the British Final programme is spot on!

What did Crump say? Edit. Ignore that just read post above.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

1 minute ago, Steve Shovlar said:

What did Crump say?

Look back six posts!

21 minutes ago, baiden said:

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. It's been a fantastic relaunch, but would have loved to see some merchandise for sale. I'd have happily bought some stuff. Jamie Courtney talked about the fact he was wearing the new club jacket when interviewed at the Plymouth meeting, I was then expecting to see some merch for sale on the site (or at the track) shortly afterwards, but nothing as yet.

Seems very strange there’s no merch. Huge earner for a club. A very nicely designed jacket can sell for £70 and cost the club £25. They could sell hundreds of jackets, t-shirts, mugs, caps etc. missed opportunity this season.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Do Oxford fans earn less than Poole supporters, as there were easily a couple of hundred Pirates fans at Cowley on Tuesday.

I'd imagine most Oxford fans who would have potentially made the trip to Poole normally, went to the Chargers meeting at Sandy Lane instead. That's exactly what I did. The Chargers have been getting good crowds (and good results), so I didn't want to miss it. Oxford also offered heavily discounted prices if you bought tickets to both meetings together (just £24 for both - kids free).

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

I really do fear we will be found out by the better clubs like Leicester/Glasgow in the play offs. We no longer look invincible at home. In recent matches we have relied on dragging ourselves over the line in the latter part of meetings. How we will fare at Gl/Leic is a worry carrying these two. Could give us too much to do at home if both not firing.

The Churchill dog says......"Oh no, no, no"

We av proven that we can battle back from adversity with shear guts & determination to win. That's wot makes Champions.

We Pirates av a PMA, Positive Mental Attitude and can still win when hanging on to the ropes.

Better club's than us Pirates? Better club's? Go sit on the nawty step! :D 

Edited by Turnip
  • Like 1

Genuine question.. What is the Poole obsession with crowd figures ( Home and away clubs) ? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KEITH M said:

Genuine question.. What is the Poole obsession with crowd figures ( Home and away clubs) ? 

It should be everyone's obsession because it's the crowds that keep the sport going.

Focusing on the crowds is extremely important.

• Like 1