British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest kent

Riders playing football

A riders eleven took on a supporters eleven at Meggetland, Edinburgh on 22 April 1978.

Among the riders were Mick Newton, Rob Hollingworth, Mal Chambers, Benny Rourke, Brian Collins, Alan Bridgett, Steve McDermott, Dave Trownson and Alan Morrison.

I'm looking at the photo of the supporters team and the only one I recognise is Norrie Tait, currently the programme stall man at Armadale.

Apparently a crowd of 325 turned up. Not bad.

I remeber one year the Swindon team played a ice hockey match, not quite football but still.... it was funny!! :lol:

Barry Briggs dressed up in ice-hockey gear when he signed as a Jawa/Eso works rider but I dont know if he actually played.

Currently on eBay:

TV Stars v. Speedway Riders' X1

"Programme from the Charity match played at Hornchurch Stadium,Upminster on 22/3/64.

T.V Stars include;Jess Conrad,Mike and Bernie Winters and Bernard Bresslaw.I wouldn't know where to start with the Speedway Stars,so I won't bother!!"

The seller is obviously not a fan.

If someone buys it we can find out who the speedway team was. Any offers?

Former Canterbury rider Tony Reynolds played for Maidstone United,Ashford Town and Welling United at a good standard.Now assistant manager of Ashford Town.

I understood he was a Driectory of Ashford is that right?

Guest kent

Hes not a director just assistant manager and coach.

Promoters Bobby and Allan Ham were footie players. Also Torquay United had a player called Mark Loram.

From the original programme Show Biz X1 v Speedway Riders X1 29/03/59 @ Sutton United Football Ground

[

Show Biz X1

Pip Wedge (goal keeper)

Jimmy Henney, John Burgess

Siggy Jackson, Walley Barnes, Chas Mcdevitt

Glen Mason, Toni Dalli

Des O Connor, Ronnie Carroll, Dave King

Reserves: Sean Connery, Pete Regan

Referee: Geogre Swindin

Linesmen: Dennis Evans

Rick Barrett

Brian Crutcher, Ron How, Ronnie Moore

Geoff Harris, Reg Trott

Bob Andrews, Bert # Name Removed #, Gerry Jackson

Cyril Brine, Pat Flanagan

Mike Broadbanks (goal keeper)

Reserves: Howdy Byford

Murray Briggs

George White

Ernie Baker

Phil Bishop

Speedway Riders X1

Guest cheetahhawk

I saw the Speedway riders 11 a couple of times way back in the early seventies.First time I saw them was at West Drayton when I think they played against a Showbiz 11 for local charities and the other time I saw them was at Romford when they played against a Wrestlers 11.I beleive that one of the wrestlers was Mick McManus who was very popular at that time. Can't really remember very much about either match except that Colin Pratt was in the speedway 11 at West Drayton and I think the Kennett brothers played at Romford.

Edited by cheetahhawk

Hughie Saunders testimonial arranged a game between the 1979 (correct me if i am wrong) Rockets, and the Hoddesdon Town team.

the front of the programme had a cartoon drawing of a player with a quizzical look on his face facing a fully dressed rider with face mask and helmet on.

i believe that hoddesdon were winning the match at half time until the Rockets said if they get beat they want a re match down on the track the following week!!

Promoters Bobby and Allan Ham were footie players.

One of them used to play for Rotherham United, he sometimes gets mentioned in those "flashback" things in the local sports paper.

Didn't Steve Schofield play football up to quite a decent none league level in his younger days?

Guest kent

A bit short for a goalkeeper i would have thought

Here are some not particularly brilliant pictures that I took in 1987. They are from a match between Newbury Town and a Motorcyclists XI, which was a benefit match for Motor Cross Rider David Stirland, whose brother played for Newbury (and was also in the same 1st Hungerford Cubs Six-a-side team as myself that won the six-a-side cup a few years earlier with a suburb display in the final over 1st Kintbury - but I digress).

Picture 1: The teams pose for pictures slightly to my right. On the far left are Steve Schofield and Simon Cross, with Martin Yeates a bit further along.

Picture 2: Simon Cross prepares to, er, cross.

Picture 3: Goalie Martin Yeates and a big, beery looking bloke, leave the field.