British Speedway Forum

Why didn't anyone ever think of this 16 rider 20 heat 5 rides per rider format before? :blink:

They did Norbold,it's one of the formats tried here for the U21 championship this year.The race format changed almost every meeting :o

Oh yes, iris, you're right the format has been used before. For every World Final from 1936 - 1994 and every other individual meeting in that time plus most since. Silly me for forgetting that! :blink:

I would have the winner & runner up going straight to the Final, then two semi-finals, with only the winners going into the final, then we would defiantly have no settling for second places......also won't the race points be counted forward with the place points.............or.........???? thought that's what I heard.!

Obviously JP didn't go into exact details but I can envisage some problems with how they determine the GP "winner" at each round.

Either the winner of the round will be the rider that wins the final or the rider with the highest number of points at the end of the night.

If the round winner is simply the rider that wins the final then it would presumably be possible for a "losing" rider to leave with more points than the winner which makes no sense.

If the round winner is the rider that scores the most points in the meeting then presumably it will be possible to win the round without winning the final therefor removing the climax that we currently get in a GP.

Neither situation seems ideal to me.

Why didn't anyone ever think of this 16 rider 20 heat 5 rides per rider format before? :blink:

They did Norbold,it's one of the formats tried here for the U21 championship this year.The race format changed almost every meeting :o

Oh yes, iris, you're right the format has been used before. For every World Final from 1936 - 1994 and every other individual meeting in that time plus most since. Silly me for forgetting that! :blink:

The 20 heat format yeah,but this has semi's and a final,Norbold.Thats what i'm talking about.Guess your still thinking about that "best speedway book ever" topic eh ;)

Yes, but you'll see I did not mention the semi-finals and final in my original post. It was the format itself I was talking about.

I was quite amused when John Poshbloke was explaining it on tele last night - how it seemed to be something new the BSI had thought up to ensure that all riders met each other and that all points counted etc.

Yes, I am still thinking about the best speedway book ever! :rolleyes:

Someone on another board said that points for the final will be awarded as now, i.e 25,20,18,16 with nothing extra for 3rd or 4th place in the semis.

Therefore, a rider getting a 15 point max and winning the final would get 40 GP points.

I wonder if the heats for the main body of the meeting will be in the traditional order, if so how will they number the riders.

Could be the first race of GP 2005 will feature Crump, Rickardsson, Hancock and Adams ?

RogH,

I'm sure the 25,20,18 and 16 points would replace any points scored in the qualifiers, not be in addition.

So theoretically you could have a rider who gets a 15 point max then flunks the semi-final, they still get 15 points, only 1 less than last in the final. Conversely you could get a rider who has a couple of duff rides during the meeting, scores 7 points but scrapes in to the semis. He is effectively racing for 18 extra points if he wins the final, whereas someone who scored 14 during the meeting is effectively only racing for 11 extra points. Bottom line, as Mr Adams would say, "it's all about making the A final".

The system has it's pros and cons like any other. Personally I'm happy to give it a go as I think it will work. Meetings will be building up to a crescendo as they do at present. The semi-finals really are win or bust and the final retains it's current importance, ie it's everything.

Rico :rolleyes:

I wonder if the heats for the main body of the meeting will be in the traditional order, if so how will they number the riders.

Could be the first race of GP 2005 will feature Crump, Rickardsson, Hancock and Adams ?

The first race of every GP in 2005 will feature Crump, Rickardsson, Hancock and Adams in this case!!

That system outlined above does sound like a decent compromise, although not quite what JP said last night as every point scored doesn't count if you make the final.

Maybe I'm just grumpy because they've finally brought back a system where you are guaranteed to see every rider 5 times and we'll have to suffer the dismal Chrzanowski rather than seeing the wonderful Pepe. :rolleyes:

I'd like to know what is wrong with the current format - if it aint broke why fix it?

2 reasons

Increases prize money by reducing the field

and

Raises the average standard of rider competing in the field (was very careful how I worded that sentence :lol: )

Rico :rolleyes:

Just my twopennyworth !

Which I posted on another thread "sorry"

Next years format IMO looks good and it is a pity that Mark Loram has not done enough to get a place because a min 5 rides format would suit him!

my only worry is the state of the tracks! This season the tracks have been poor which did not suite the early starters so the new format may level that up!

Next years format IMO looks good and it is a pity that Mark Loram has not done enough to get a place because a min 5 rides format would suit him!

Exactly what I was thinking! This style of GP is more for Mark Loram and on this basis BSI should give him strong consideration! :mad:

(RogH @ Oct 3 2004, 11:26 AM)

The first race of every GP in 2005 will feature Crump, Rickardsson, Hancock and Adams in this case!!

Not the case because the numbering for GP No 2 would be based on the results from GP 1 etc

Not sure I like the idea of awarded points for the final replacing points scored in the meeting. Seems inconsistent and would be confusing for the TV viewer ?

How about using the race points but scaling down the final points to say 10,8,6,4

That would mean that a rider squeezing into the semi with 8 points and winning the final would get 18 against a rider with a 15 point max who gets unjustly excluded in the semi, who then gets 15. Not such a difference.

Anyone know what the tie breaking procedures will be for riders with equal points, to decide grid positions in the semis and final and for riders tied for eighth place ?

The Gp next year sounds like a great idea and will be more exciting to watch and at least it gives all riders a chance instead of the elimination rounds

looking forward to it already roll on 2005 :)