British Speedway Forum
Hot Shoe

Speedways Motocrossers

Just reading the post about Tom Leadbitter reminded me of John Louis and Arthur Brownings Motocross days. Anyone remember any other Speedway riders who were good Motocross riders? I don't mean anyone who "had a go". I mean were GOOD!

Bryan (Badger) Goss, although didn't quite make it in speedway, but he had a go!!

Some the Aussie riders were good Bob Valentine started on Motor Cross, not sure of any others.

Malcolm Ballard

Forgot all about Malcolm Ballard - Excellent all-round rider - Saw him many times in action - Seem to remember drooling over a couple of his Moto X bikes for sale in Comerfords in the early 70s!

Kelvin Tatum was a very good motocross rider, before his bad hip injury, although I don't think he competed in competitions. I think he met Danny Bird through motocross and introduced him to Speedway.

Wasn't there a speedway/motocross winter meeting at Sheffield a while back? Anyone remember that? Results?

IoW Glenn Phillips still does a lot of moto-x. He was on Sky a few months back and aparently he competed in the Jeremy McGraph Farewell World Tour event at the Millenium Stadium last Novemeber.

Are you sure that's the same Glen Phillips? as far as I know Glen rode schoolboy Grass Track, he has never mentioned riding MX. There is a Glen Phillips who is a good MX rider, I think from the West Country somewhere.

Briggo wasn't bad on a scrambler and rode in several meetings here and in the US.

I think greg bartlett did motocross before he came to ride speedway at sheffield.

ooh yeah Barty was an excellent motocross rider, he won a number of state titles here in W.A.

Lee Redmond was also pretty good aswell as Johno in there younger days.

I might mention that Jeff Leisk who raced MX in the U.S. and finished second in the 1989 500cc world title, races Sprintcars and is one of the best going around in the things with wings here in Oz. He is head honcho at KTM Aust. and being good mates with Johno is why Johno has got the KTM sponsership, you may have noticed him wearing the Orange n Black kevlars when he is not riding for Swindon in the E.L. matches.

Alan Knapkin

Was it not he who appeared in the racing scene in the film 'The Family Way' of 1967?

Are you sure that's the same Glen Phillips? as far as I know Glen rode schoolboy Grass Track, he has never mentioned riding MX. There is a Glen Phillips who is a good MX rider, I think from the West Country somewhere.

Could be him then, rather than the Speedway one. I was told about him being at the Millenium Stadium so when I saw him on Sky put 2+2 together. Would make more sense for it to be the other one though and not the speedway one.