British Speedway Forum
Paul

Hackney Speedway

Was he any relation to Ken tidbury?, I love to have a chat with him, also thoink I have some pic of archie at Eastbourne pre war!

They were brothers I think. It might be Ken I'm thinking of as the one still alive - unless they both are.

Guest cheetahhawk
I hope Archie Windmill will be there. My uncles will definitely go then!

I spoke to Archie Windmill last night and quite rightly he became the first rider to offically confirm his attendance.

Bryn, I have contact details for Bob Andrews and Roy Trigg but the challenge for you (or anyone else for that matter) is Garry Middleton. Whilst researching the book, the number of rumours (all so far unsubstantiated and therefore not repeatable publically) were huge.

Finn Thomsen is another on our hit list who so far remains unfound.

So any help will be appreciated by myself and Paul

Happy Christmas to all

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would really make my year if someone could find the very elusive Garry Middleton.I just hope a lot of the rumours that were going the rounds are untrue.

Chris,I spoke to Finn Thomsen at the Golden Greats meeting at Swindon,about 10 years ago and he told me he was living in Spain but of course he may well have moved by now.

Edited by cheetahhawk

Does anyone know a guy called Dallas who used to sit in the grandstand at Hackney - he also did a bit of mechanicing (sp?) I believe?

Guest Nostalgic

This could well be the reunion of all reunions. It could well be guys that

One Night Ain’t Big Enough….

This could well be the reunion of all reunions. It could well be guys that

One Night Ain’t Big Enough….

If you can get hold of Garry Middleton it won't be.

Seriously, I don't know if Cas can be traced, I have seen similar requests on a number of forums over the past couple of years and there has been very little concrete news of his whereabouts.

One question - this reunion still sounds like a great idea but is it solely going to be for those from the earlier era?

Yes, two of my uncles are looking forward to the reunion for those from the earlier era only. They went to Hackney from 1936 to 1939.

Robyn 1972, the Re-union will be celebrating Hackney Speedway from the pre-war days right up until the end including the Kestrels. Mr Norbold seems to think it's only for the earlier era! Where he has got that idea from, I really do know! Hopefully most of the riders you have listed Robyn will be there, however Michael Warren died a couple of years ago.

Thanks for that Paul. I hadn't heard about Micky - what happened?

Thanks for that Paul. I hadn't heard about Micky - what happened?

Sadly Robyn, he succumbed to "The Big C" :sad:

ok lets see.. who would i like to see there.. and where are they??

Keith White.... probably one of the many currently residing in Shazzys garage.. best ask shazz if you can borrow him for a night..alternatively, he is probably trying to get someone to start another fan club for him !! :shock:

Bo Petersen.. last i heard a year or so back, Bo had a business in Denmark building sleeper vans. not sure thou if they were speedway ones or camper style ones.. but as i remember, he always had a "top class, fully loaded, comfort filled van" when he was at Hackney.

Zenon Plech, was managing The Polish national team a few years back, so should think he wil be easily contactable..and it should be easier to get him out of poland now, No need for a squad to smuggle him over!!

Sean Willmott.. moved to Australia, around the Perth area, maybe Bryn can pop over and have a look round for him !! :rolleyes:

what??? its only about 45 cm on the map.. shouldn't take more than a day.. i can get up to Glasgow and back in a day.. and thats 40cm !! :P

Andrew Silver.. suppose we can include Andy as he did more second halves as a 14/15 year old, and had more waterden road track time than even Mr Thomas!!

Barry Thomas.. i know Chris and Tadpole are in contact with the legtrailing maestro, and i am sure "Mr Hackney" will be there.

finally.. the two people that Hackney and friday nights wouldn't be complete without...

Terry Heath... and Snowie Beattie..

Snowie normally goes to the VSRA meal in March so should be in the members directory ... as will a lot of ex-Hawks

What no mention of Mark Loram :o

Sean what do you mean another fan club for Keith White he says he definately never had one in the first place was right miffed when I spoke to him :lol:

ok lets see..  who would i like to see there.. and where are they??

Keith White....  probably one of the many currently residing in Shazzys garage.. best ask shazz if you can borrow him for a night..alternatively, he is probably trying to get someone to start another fan club for him !!  :shock:

Bo Petersen.. last i heard a year or so back, Bo had a business in Denmark building sleeper vans. not sure thou if they were speedway ones or camper style ones..  but as i remember, he always had a "top class, fully loaded, comfort filled van" when he was at Hackney.

Zenon Plech, was managing The Polish national team  a few years back, so should think he wil be easily contactable..and it should be easier to get him out of poland now, No need for a squad to smuggle him over!!

Sean Willmott.. moved to Australia, around the Perth area, maybe Bryn can pop over and have a look round for him !! :rolleyes: 

what??? its only about 45 cm on the map.. shouldn't take more than a day.. i can get up to Glasgow and back in a day.. and thats 40cm !! :P

Andrew Silver.. suppose we can include Andy as he did more second halves as a 14/15 year old, and had more waterden road track time than even Mr Thomas!!

Barry Thomas.. i know Chris and Tadpole are in contact with the legtrailing maestro, and i am sure "Mr Hackney" will be there.

finally.. the two people that Hackney and friday nights wouldn't be complete without...

Terry Heath... and Snowie Beattie..

Yes Sean, all of the above we have contact with, apart from Mr Willmott! I've done a list of the riders who have ridden for Hackney, and once we have the date it really will be all systems go. Do we ask Timmy Jo Sheppard?

Terry Heath! That's the person who beat me in a race, running a lap of the old Hackney track many years ago, so he's not coming!

Snowy, well he'll be there, no doubt will be doing the raffle!

I really do hope this will be a successful venture, and with all the profit's going to the following nights Vic Harding Memorial Trophy at Rye House. Let's not forget this meeting. We will need race sponsors. So if you would be interested in sponsoring a race or tyre or may know of a company that may please contact me. The other point I guess worth mentioning now is if the Harding meeting is run at Premier of Conference level. The cost of running a Premier level will be about 3 times the cost of Conference. I would appreciate views on this please. Certainly we have covered the costs at Conference level when we have run at Sittingbourne and Weymouth.

Some very sad news to report is that Gary/Carl Chalcraft's dad has passed away very recently. He was always very supportive to both his boy’s and would always be in the pits helping out.

Jack Tidbury is definitely still alive. I spoke to Nobby Stock's daughter this morning. She keeps in regular contact with him and spoke to him last week. He is 89 and still quite active apparently but she didn't think he would want to go to a Hackney reunion as he never goes to the VSRA dinner. However he would be worth asking. She thought the best thing would be if Archie asked him.

She agreed there are only three pre-War Hackney riders still alive, Archie, Jack and Vic Duggan.

By the way has Tony Hurren been invited?